Soft Market for Kirns!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Unionjack515, Mar 15, 2019.

1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I think it's difficult to get things from many people if you not only want them to make something you'd want, but you also want them to talk about everything the way you'd want them to talk about everything.

Not stating who is right or wrong, just the consequence of difference in opinions.

I decided about a decade and a half ago (maybe I'm a little slow) to always say "ghee, I'll bet that even though I'm bullheaded and you say things I don't agree with, I'll bet we could be friends, anyway".

My golf partners at the time were probably about 30. They get upset when you call them ladies! (it implies to them that you think they're like some formal old lady). I think we may have called them "the Vimmins". "Are the Vimmins coming?" ..., or "I'm not going to say that in front of you Vimmins", which was a sure way to get a line that would make a sailor blush.

Point being, if you talked to any vendor long enough, I'm sure they'd tell you something you didn't want to hear, and in this case, maybe you'd cheat yourself out of a good guitar. I'm not willing to do that.

I also don't tell someone that they lost a customer when I wasn't actually buying something from them, because it's just a hypothetical used to modify their behavior, and we all moved away from our mothers for a reason. At least most of us did (to my good friend Alan K who lived with his mother all his life, you're held to a higher standard!! - Alan doesn't belong to TDPRI, btw).

(I've sold a couple of guitars that I bought and played for a half hour. But not new ones. A couple were new that someone else bought and decided they didn't want. In this era, it's easy to buy and sell something, so it's not hard to find NOS guitars or passed of unsold stock and then just move it along. A guitar that's got a half hour of play time will show that it has little. If I can see little spiderwebbing scratches, etc, let alone any fretwear at all, I know the seller was FOS. I wouldn't buy a guitar hinging on the 30 minutes part being true, but I would rely on one at least looking like it was if the seller says so).

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I completely understand where you are coming from here. I don't make my living playing guitar. Far from it. But I do play in 3 pretty active bands, in different genres.

I have 4 electrics. Which seems like an absurd (high) number) to me. But they all do get played a ton. And they are all different (to a degree). Tele with Bigsby. Hardtail Tele. Gibson ES-LP with Bigsby. ES-339. All are quality, non-cheap instruments. Two bought used (one's a '69) and two bought as "floor models" (not pristine, not new prices). So a real investment. I only have that many because I can't part with any of them. I went through too many guitars to get to these, but always trying to find ones that played like I wanted and made the sounds that I wanted. When I landed on each of these, I knew they were the one. I found two at the same time, or I'd only have 3 total. But those two were so good, and the prices good enough, that I grabbed both.

Having more than these 4 (and two acoustics) would honestly stress me out. I could never use them enough to personally want to own any more.

Everyone else's mileage may vary.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
  3. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Your six is my thirty!

I've got plenty on hand, but don't really get annoyed until I get one out and find that its frets have glazed over. I tend to play the ones I like (that I've kept through a bunch of shuffling of guitars) in cycles and categorize them, keeping a tele type guitar out all the time, a hollow body guitar out all the time, and an HH short scale guitar out all the time.

MilwMark likes this.
  4. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

No, most of that would be a lie. I have replaced the first one I sold and will be replacing this one as it sells. But I didn’t post them for sale for the purpose of getting other guitars.

5. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Fair enough, Ron didn’t “get it” either. He and I had a disagreement and I can’t support his work any longer. They’re good guitars, I just haven’t taken this one out of the case after the first week or so I owned it because it makes me angry. So there’s no point in keeping it. Just taking up space at this point.

PingGuo likes this.
  6. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I suspect Im missing something here but with all due respect. If Ron can upset you so much you refuse to play one of his guitars you've only just purchased im not really sure Ron is the problem...

He has contributed and helped make this forum what it is for many years. Made available templates for home builders long before it was a known thing.

I've never heard him say anything that was out of order, even if he has lost his patience (as large as that is). Anyone that was on the recieving end of him has always deserved it from what I have seen.

It was mentioned before by an obviousley smart person... something about looking through your own lens of someone elses comments and getting hurt over your own misread interpretation....

Either way, I would like to own a Ron Kirn guitar one day, not for the personality of the builder (good or bad) simply because they are almost universally praised as wonderfull instruments. Perhaps you are so upset you will be selling this one dirt cheap just to clear you mood? :)

7. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've had purchases/work go not right and it's true, it can really taint it.

Well, it is a pretty guitar. Hopefully you'll find its next owner quickly.

bsman likes this.
  8. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nevermind.

10. JelloCaster

JelloCaster TDPRI Member

What really blows my mind is that anyone would pay $1000+ for a guitar that has Papyrus font on the headstock. To me that screams "I was designed by a 6th grader in the '90s."

11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

tenor.gif

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  12. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Please feel free to make me an offer

13. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

This is funny. I’m choosing not to be offended ha

14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure how much stock the rest of us are going to put in an opinion that hinges on the font on a peghead. There are lots of other parts to a guitar.

Do you have any guitars that you've built with a nice font on the peghead that you could show to us?

Kind of proof that if a thread goes long enough after its initial flurry is over, we're in only for the negative and weird.

15. tildeslash

tildeslash Tele-Meister

Not saying you can get a Kirn for 800-900 but I got mine for $1000 and many recently have been around and currently for $1200
    For that price you're getting a guitar made by a professional and not by someone assembling (which I do and I support) one at home.
    Figure in labor and experience by Ron Kirn and assembled parts for 800-900 = I think the ones going for $1200 is a bargain.

16. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Yes, when you factor in labor costs it is a bargain, but I prefer to not pay for that labor as I consider myself pretty skilled at assembling a tele...it isn't that difficult. I do send my projects to a professional luthier when I finish for the fret work and set-up so in the end I would call it just as professionally built. Nothing against Kirn nor any other builder out there, but we are talking about a $400 difference (at least) in many cases which can go a long ways towards other needs.

17. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

pine2.jpg pine1.jpg This was $900 after the luthier's work and I did all the rest from pine flooring planks. I would stack it up against any other build.

18. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

That’s a beautiful guitar. I hope it sounds as good as it looks. I’m a sucker for natural wood finishes on guitars. I love seeing the grain because no two guitars will come out identical.

El Tele Lobo and Milspec like this.
  19. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the compliment and I am the same way regarding the natural wood look. Over the years I have really come to dislike the candy coating finishes on guitars. She is a great player and super light, it is my favorite right now.

20. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I’m not quite at that point yet. My favorite finishes are wood grain but I still like several of the painted finishes. One day I’d like to buy a diy kit to make my own with a nice wood grain showing. It would have to be a kit though because I have nowhere near the knowledge and skill you have.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.