Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Social media, audience engagement, etc.

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Junkyard Dog, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:14 AM.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    It seems like at all of our gigs people are taking pictures/videos of us with their phones. I have no idea what happens to it after that. What/how/where can I get people in the audience to share their photos/videos with us? Although we have a Facebook page, this does not seem to be working. Do we need to go to Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, some other thing I don't even know about, etc.?

Thanks for any advice!

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Hard to say what they do once they leave the gig.
    It would be nice tips they could download something to your page.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Maybe have a giant hashtag printed on a banner above the band and a virtual prize for best / most liked gig vid ?

"Post you band selfies/ vids and tag them with #bandhashtag on twitter, Facebook, instagram, etc."

Could call out the best ones live if you have someone monitoring.

People might then just upload them there... a couple of days later I suspect the bulk of such images and vids are forgotten so I'd try to grab em before the owners are distracted by the next.. Oh! Look! A cute cat!

You can then have a automatic feed widget of them on your website so you don't need to hunt them, they'll just appear as a list. You could even project the feed live at the gig

Of course it could be a complete disaster and decend into anarchy, which gives you a social media story that local or radio press might pick up. (Don't ask me how I know!)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Why don't you just announce something during gig?

6. Junkyard Dog

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    We try that, but get limited success. One time the drummer's wife posted a video to Youtube, and we were able to link that to our website. Another time the guitar's daughter took a ton of video with her iphone, but neither he nor her could ever figure out how to get it all from her phone to me for subsequent use.

There must have been a dozen instances over this weekend's gigs where people walked right up and filmed the band for 20 or 30 seconds. I guess that all just winds up on their Facebook/Instagram/etc right next to the photo of the sandwich that they ate. Who knows?

7. Junkyard Dog

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I like this idea! We'll give it a try!

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Maybe it's for making something like this:

[​IMG]

wayloncash and Martin R like this.

9. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    I'm told Instagram is where it's at today. You get more eyes on FaceBook but more traction on Instagram.

We just started looking at it.

Junkyard Dog likes this.

10. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    We have talked about having a #selfie challenge. Post a selfie of you at the event/show/etc to our page and have your friends "like" it. Who ever gets the most likes (as determined by us), we'll buy a pitcher of beer. Or something.

We played two outdoor things in the same day, and our lead singer/BL asked folks to like the page so it helped with the booking agents. We got a few new likes, but some folks in the crowd were like, What's a booking agent? He also asked too much/often. And our band has a hard to spell name. He's lobbying for a change and I have been dissuading it, but I might be starting to come around. Of course, I think it needs a strategy and he'll screw it up.

11. Junkyard Dog

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I'm gonna try Instagram at tonight's gig. I set up an account (step 1...check!).

If I just tell people that we are on Instagram @junkyarddog will everybody basically know what to do from there? Never used Instagram before, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

12. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    "30 seconds of fame" was never truer than today.
    thats about the attention span of the facebook generation.

13. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    You need Instagram and a hashtag

Junkyard Dog likes this.

14. Junkyard Dog

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Thanks! Any ideas on what is a good hashtag to use? Just use the name of the band? Basically what I want to happen is somebody takes a picture of the band, or themselves, or whatever, and it ends up on my Instagram page (or screen or whatever you call that). Maybe I need to look at some other bands Instagrams and see what they are doing.

If I can get even just one picture tonight I will declare victory! If I can get a visually appealing audience member to post a selfie with the band it will be an overwhelming success!!!

15. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I think. But not sure, that we're going to try and do a selfie challenge tomorrow when we play. Post a photo of yourself in front of the band (or just playing) but on our page. Our band name is hard to spell but we'll have the banner up. We shall see if this works. I'm quite sure it will be distracting to us!

Junkyard Dog likes this.

16. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    The name of the band is a good one. Depending on the name you may want to simplify it or add the word "music". You want the hashtag to be easy to search and use, but just your band.

So for example, my band's name is "You Do You". This is already a common 'slang' phrase so the hashtag #youdoyou is filled with random people's selfies, etc. Our hashtag on Instagram is #youdoyoumusic which is easy enough to recite to the audience from onstage.

Junkyard Dog likes this.

17. Junkyard Dog

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Awesome! Thanks for the helpful ideas and suggestions, everybody. I'll report back with results!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.