Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So What's Your Favourite Squier (include A Pic) And Why ???

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ShadowChancer, Mar 17, 2016.

1. clking61

clking61 TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2014
    N.C.
    It's on the way ordered the CVC, can't wait for it to get here, if its anything like my CV 50s, it kicks ass, stoked tele's rule...

2. demon

demon Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2015
    Northern Europe
    Not my picture - sorry - but my silver sparkle Jagmaster looks exactly like this:
    [​IMG]

Why do I love it? It's cheap, and trashy glamorous; just like me :)

The offset body is really comfortable and, with aftermarket pickups, the both-pickups selection has a lovely plink that sounds great through a clean amp with approximately loads of reverb.

Lead2Fan likes this.

3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I talked the previous owner down to $60 from $75.

After I set her up she just felt right so I changed the electronics and tuners.

At the time I had just found out that you could pay the Fender Custom Shop to beat the crap out of your guitar, and I thought "Well hell, I can do that myself"

[​IMG]

chemobrain likes this.

4. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2016
    Chicago, Illinois
    My only Squier at present. Put in new pickups, selector switch and knob covers. Great guitar. IMG_2750.JPG

5. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    [​IMG] This is my Squier 72 Thinline. It's all original and amazing.

TMMC, tbb007, rave and 1 other person like this.

6. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast
    Love the 24" scale Jagmaster, like an idiot I sold mine, wasn't too enthused with the spacing between the frets but it was perfect for playing while propped up in bed.

7. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Uh well.the pickups aren't like the 50s cv. I had to replace mine.

8. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    my squier guitars and not squier teles, I own a fretless Jazz bass for playing slide bass , and a mini strat for slide playing
    I like both of the a great deal. Why? the answer is simple, when I'm not messin', up both function perfectly.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

9. Lake Placid Blue

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    Well said!

10. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 19, 2016
    S.F. Bay Area
    My only Squier, pictured below, and the (probably too long) story behind it:

As I mentioned in my intro thread, I’d been pretty much away from the guitar for about 30 years when, last summer, I found myself staying at the Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago, where they will loan you your choice of about twenty Fender guitars/basses to play while you’re there. After spending a few days with a Classic Player HH Strat, I got the bug again, and decided to get a guitar when I got home.

The weekend after I got back, the Savers thrift shops had a half-off sale. I grabbed my Vox amplug and headphones and headed to the nearest one.

When I got there, there were two Squier Strats laying on the display case, while a customer was discussing on the phone with someone whether he should buy one or both; one was black with a pearl pickguard, the other was the red one you see here. I told the clerk I was interested, in case the guy didn’t buy both. In the end, he wanted to get the black one, but with the gig bag that came with the red one; when the clerk said he couldn’t do that, the guy left without buying either.

So I tried them. The black one was definitely dirty, and the strings were in bad shape, but even allowing for neglect, the action wasn’t great and the tone a little mushy.

Then I tried the red one, and literally couldn’t believe the difference: the thing played like butter, even right there in the dusty thrift shop, and the tonal range was everything I’d want out of a Strat of any kind, even just through the amplug. I can’t remember if the black one was full-size, but this one is. At half price, I paid fifty bucks with Fender gig bag, and just now, I see there’s a black one, same year and model,on eBay with a Buy it Now of $255.00, so I think I did OK here ;).

Just looking at it, I could see it had been modified, but having been away from the guitar for so long, I had no idea just what I’d acquired. When I got home I started doing some research.

Based on the serial number (and the “Fender 50th Anniversary” sticker), it’s a 1996 model clearly marked Made in China; headstock reads “Squier ‘Strat’” with “by Fender” in smaller print on the ball. Photos I found of similar models show all white pups and knobs, not black like these.

I’ve been told that the pups are probably Carvin AP-11’s; no idea if the pots were changed along with the knobs, and with no Squier of the same vintage for comparison, all I can say is that it sounds just gorgeous throughout the tonal range.

Whoever did the mods also replaced one of the control knobs with a toggle that I’ve seen on used other guitars to switch humbuckers to single-coil sound. That’s clearly not the purpose here; it seems to function as an “always-on” switch for the bridge pickup.

The bridge was also replaced or repaired: I’ve seen pics of this model both with and without trem bar, but this bridge clearly won’t accommodate one, and not all the screw holes match up; it’s also not string-through—someone cut a hole in the back plate (rather than just unscrewing it?!) to make that change. Hasn’t given me any problems, though.

I’ll admit that I’ve contracted a touch of GAS, having since got a great deal on an MP Thinline Tele, which I love, but honestly, if I had to live with just one of these guitars, I’d find it damn hard to choose.

A side note: I have only recently begun to appreciate my incredible good fortune in finding the guitar in the first place—my wife does some projects that involve working with stuff she picks up at thrift shops, so I get out to visit them pretty regularly, and in the almost six months I’ve had this guitar, I have only seen two other badly-trashed Squiers (and barely any other guitars at all, save the Randy Jackson stuff they seem to get new) in thrift shops here in Silicon Valley; in the case of Goodwill, I assume that anything even remotely interesting winds up in their online sales.

strat.jpg

11. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

My favorite Squiers are the ones I currently have.

My favorite is my sunburst '51, which is virtually stock apart from the saddles, the pickguard and the nut.

[​IMG]free upload image

I'm also quite fond of this beater Affinity Tele I got in a local charity shop, and I use for rougher gigs, or as a chuck in the trunk guitar.

[​IMG]adult photo hosting

It has a set of Keystones in it and a four way switch, plus I have added a vintage style topload bridge and brass saddles. Plays and sounds really good for a guitar I got for £40!

I also have a couple of other Squiers still in my collection, a Hello Kitty Strat and a red Bronco bass.

I've had lots of other Squiers through my hands though.

chemobrain and TMMC like this.

12. BoiseTelecaster

BoiseTelecaster Tele-Meister

May 30, 2014
    Boise Idaho
    I had to search for a while to find the one I wanted. Classic vibe custom in white with black binding. I swapped out the bridge pickup for a Fender Vintage 62 reissue. Sounds awesome.

IMG_0037.jpg

TMMC likes this.

13. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC

I've got the same guitar. It's a gem. I paid three times what you did but I still feel like I stole it.

14. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC

15. BoiseTelecaster

BoiseTelecaster Tele-Meister

May 30, 2014
    Boise Idaho
    My other Squier is a mid 80's MIJ Squier e-series Strat. These are very cool guitars. This one belonged to Robert Knigge, the bass player for the Everly Brothers. Crazy what you can find on ebay sometimes.

IMG_1612.JPG

Lake Placid Blue and TMMC like this.

16. rotsap

rotsap TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Canada
    I love my Classic Vibe 52 RI. Only two mods, obviously, switched the black guard for white Pearloid, just looks lovely to me. And I had taken it in for a set up at LoMac and got a call from the tech who said the bridge pu was so thin he pulled it to check it out and found the wire was broken, so I ordered a set of Fender Custom Shop original Black Gaurd pickups and changed out for those. Wow! Does this guitar ever sound awesome? Yes! Yes, awesome! And I can say two other things about this guitar, one, that a friend who owns an original 52 that this one is actually a copy of, what is that? A $10K-$20K guitar? We swapped guitars a couple times a year he gets to play my CV and I get to play his American-built and there is a precious little difference either in feel or sound. And two, he always even says he'd trade me necks if it wouldn't kill his value. So yeah, I paid 60 bucks for my Classic Vibe on Kijiji with a brand new tear-drop case, and I mean brand new case, which itself is like $80 bucks. So free guitar, as good if not better than $20K guitar, what else could one say? I love to play this guitar every single day.

My Classic Vibe '52 Tele  RI-2.jpg My Classic Vibe '52 Tele  RI.jpg

2blue2, TMMC and Lake Placid Blue like this.

17. Lake Placid Blue

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    I love how dark that fretboard is. It looks great with the black body.

BoiseTelecaster likes this.

18. Lake Placid Blue

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    I would have never considered that pickguard as an option but it looks really good. It's a nice combination.

rotsap and TMMC like this.

19. The Boss

The Boss Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2015
    Ottawa
    This one! It's my only Squier but I love it so far!

[​IMG]

20. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    That is beautiful. The colors are reminiscent of Rembrandt man in the golden helmet.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.