Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So what's going on in Kingma's shop...?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jkingma, Jan 17, 2013.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    41F here yesterday...it was the first day I made chips in weeks.

2. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    It's been hovering either side of the freezing point here for the last couple weeks. I've got an old oil furnace is my shop that heats up the airspace above the waist, but doesn't help much at floor level. If I ever am lucky enough to build a shop from scratch some day it will definitely have in floor heating.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    My shed is on 4 x4's with 3/4 plywood on top of that. It sits on a bed of gravel. After about 30 minutes of standing, my feet are frozen. It doesn't help that the sneaker treads transmit the cold like a conduit either.

4. jkingma

Admin Post
    Just bought a new resaw blade for the bandsaw then I resawed my last piece of cocobolo and got 3 fretboards out of it. I'll be using #3 for the SG.

Until now I have used a 3/8" x 3 tpi blade for everything. I wish I had bought a decent resaw blade long ago. That thing cut through that cocobolo like it was pine. Great investment.

[​IMG]

5. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Great looking boards, John.

6. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Nice looking coco bolo , what blade did you get for resawing John ?

7. jkingma

8. jkingma

Admin Post
    Fretslots are cut. Position dots installed, (they're Fossilized Walrus Tusk by the way) and a Rosewood overlay has been applied to the headstock. That's about all I did this weekend.

[​IMG]

9. jkingma

Admin Post
    I was at Lee Valley on Saturday morning and picked up this neat little item. It's an LED light that clips to the visor of your hat. It sure comes in handy at the drill press and bandsaw which are located in my shop where the lighting isn't the best.

[​IMG]

10. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I like it :D

11. jkingma

Admin Post
    Here's something else I picked up a few weeks ago for the shop. It's called the Mighty Dwarf. You plug an mp3 player into it instead of using ear buds. It's not a speaker... it just vibrates... but when you set it on a table, it turns the table into a speaker. Really cool little unit.

I the past 5 or 6 years two CD players have kicked the bucket in the shop due to dust. This has no moving parts - other than a switch - so dust shouldn't really be a problem.

It sounds pretty good on the router table... but it sounds REALLY good on my down-draft sanding box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I saw something like that once.........the dude took one of the walls in his den, removed a wall panel, then routed clearance in his 2 X 4s to approximate a 4 foot circle, then glued down the wall panel and put something like that dead center of that circle.....................in a word, awesome! :)

13. jkingma

Admin Post
    The SG set neck is going to be more like a PRS joint than a Gibson joint... its faster and easier IMO.

So here I am making the template. I screw down some scarps along the outer edge of the neck heel. Then rough cut out the area inside on the bandsaw and then clean it up on the router table.

[​IMG]

Getting ready to rout... tilting the template with a 2 degree angle.

[​IMG]

And the finished connection.

[​IMG]

14. JCJCJC

JCJCJC Tele-Holic

Mar 12, 2010
    Ireland - mid-west
    John - how did you establish the 2 degree tilt - with one of those clever little digital gizmos maybe? You're making a set neck look easy, it shows how skilled you are.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

15. jkingma

Admin Post
    No... a little more old school than that.

I drew it out on paper using a protractor and then measured back the distance that corresponded with the thickness of my shim.

[​IMG]

16. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Wow John,

That fretboard is unbelievable! Big SG fan here. Subscribed.

Rob

17. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

It's true, that fretboard is gorgeous and I seriously like the fact that Rich is not doing it ;)

Great work, indeed.

18. jkingma

Admin Post
    Thanks guys.

19. J.E.M.

J.E.M. Tele-Meister

Jun 28, 2011
    toronto
    And even more old school, perhaps the most accurate way is trig.

The tangent of 2 degrees X the distance (as marked in your drawing) gives you the height of your shim.

So .0349 x distance = shim height... to the molecule

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.