Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So what's going on in Kingma's shop...?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jkingma, Jan 17, 2013.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    It was just 9:07 pm when I posted that............a better question is what I'm doing up now :lol:

2. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2010
    HLMRmeer
    That is what I meant. I saw your (little green) light on.

3. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Ahhhh, just couldn't sleep :rolleyes:. Sorry John

4. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I bought that board for $20.00 and it's long enough for 2 necks.

Steal... :D

5. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

John, you mentioned that you were ready to box the guitar, so this meant that the bridge was installed for a 25.5" scale.

Will the new scale length require that you re-position the bridge?

I own that stewmac vise. Thanks for showing me that I could use it to hold the nut while on the sander. Never thought of that and I was holding it with my fingers and drop it a few times. Clever!

I also learned that cocobolo can do tricks on you. I'll watch myself if I work it in the future. Thanks all!

6. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2010
    HLMRmeer
    So, what you're saying is, you lost my address?

:D

You seem to have a knack for picking gorgeous materials.

7. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2010
    HLMRmeer
    John probably made a 'conversion neck'. A 25" to go on a body fitted for a 25.5" neck. Just like the conversion tenor necks that are around to put on 'regular' tele bodies.

8. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Thanks Olav, Just trying to figure this out. Never heard of "conversion necks".

Would this mean that the neck is shorter than an usual neck, or that the nut is closer to the bridge than a normal neck?

If I was to put both neck side to side I could see the difference in neck length or longer headstock. Does it make sense?

9. jkingma

Admin Post
    Olav has it figured correctly. I reverse designed it to just drop in... so the neck is in fact a bit shorter than normal.

10. jkingma

Admin Post
    So on Saturday I happened to be fairly close to the local discount (asian) tools store and thought I would pop in and see if they had anything decent on special. I saw this little bench grinder for 20 buck. Since I never replaced my old Black and Decker grinder when it bought the farm almost 20 years ago I thought it was time for a new one... and for 20 bucks I just couldn't pass on it.

[​IMG]

I'll have to find a spot to mount it permanently but to try it out I just clamped it to my table saw.

Now since I had just fretted that new lefty neck with stainless steel frets I figured I would try out the grinder by grinding down the fret ends... should be a bit easier than filing them. That was quick work... and then I finished them off with my files and some sandpaper.

Working with SS frets was not as bad as I was told they would be. We'll see how I make out with the levelling.

[​IMG]

11. jkingma

Admin Post
    Well, this one is finally off the bench (again).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

12. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

13. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee

14. jkingma

Admin Post
    There's an SG in the queue. Templates almost done... mahogany ready for cutting.

I've also got something started for ME.

But first I have to do some cleanup in my shop. That could take a while. :(

15. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY

16. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I hear ya'. I'll be glad to see the one for you..............I mostly like your taste in design and woods. Your one of the few around here as crazy as I am :lol:

17. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee

18. jkingma

Admin Post
    You could have just changed it to something witty. :D

19. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

If you never install the truss rod -- but nobody ever looks for it -- is it really missing? ;)

20. jkingma

Admin Post
    With regard to...

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/383730-commercial-rules-apply-here.html

I just went through this discussion and see I broke this rule a couple times... however, it was unintentional and I apologize. It's not that I was ignoring the rules, it's just that it has been so long since I read the rules (maybe 6 years) that I forgot... and perhaps have become a bit complacent. I think that this may be the case with most members hanging out here in the Home Depot section.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.