Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So what's going on in Kingma's shop...?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jkingma, Jan 17, 2013.

1. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

Apr 29, 2009
    Haarlem, Holland.
    A box from Stewmac?

2. Bronkowitz

Bronkowitz Tele-Meister

May 20, 2011
    Chicago
    The LMII tape gave it away!

3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    :lol::lol:

4. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2012
    Kelowna B.C, Canada
    Best answer.

5. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    What it actually is, is a much bigger box than what is required for the stuff that was shipped in it.

:D

6. jkingma

Admin Post
    Let's take a look. Big box... not much in it. I guess that's how they justify the high shipping cost. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Well I got myself a fret slot template with the Gibson scales on it (for the SG project) and another small nut vice. These are the best small vices I've ever used. I've had one for years and when I need it out in the shop, it's in the house... and when I need it in the house, it's out in the shop. I figured for $35 it would be worth my while to get a second one.

[​IMG]

I use this thing all the time. They are great for doing all the nut shaping but they are also great for holding small parts at the drill press or sander as well. Great little vice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013

7. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee

8. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    I like the vice, but I like your big sander more. ;)

There's always something about a stewmac box. Seems they box large so when you get the box, you feel like there's about what you spent in it. Then you open the box and it looks like yours inside. :lol:

9. jkingma

Admin Post
    Back to the new "lefty" neck... this one will have stainless steel frets. First time I've used SS. Man that stuff is effin' hard as hell. Even my big snippers had a hard time cutting them. What a PITA. I can't wait to level these bastards. :eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

10. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I didn't realize the nut vices were so inexpensive (relatively speaking). I may have to pick up one of those in the near future.

I've heard that the stainless wire will wreak havoc on your tools. Do you have anything special you'll be using for leveling?

11. jkingma

Admin Post
    Considering an "average" small drill press vice can go for $50.00 the Stew-Mac vice is a pretty good deal - and a lot more flexible on how it can be used.

Attached Files:

12. jkingma

Admin Post
    Yeah, I've heard the same. Not sure how I'm going to tackle it just yet.

13. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I have a Dremel that's dedicated as a die grinder. That's what I cut 'em and trim the ends with. I bevel the ends with a two-sided, 18" coarse whetstone. Then pray like hell they don't need leveled too much :rolleyes:

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hey John,

Per whodatpat, I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to final trim the SS frets on my Challenge build. Worked very well. Regular filing on the ends wasn't that bad. Also bicycle SS cable cutters are good to rough cut them.

A definite ***** to work with but last forever and are a bender's dream. Soooo smmoooooth!

Rob

15. rapfohl09

rapfohl09 Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    New York
    So excited to see this, I was just looking at this blueprint this morning wanting to build an SG.

I thought you never wanted to build another SG? Maybe I am thinking of someone else.

16. jkingma

Admin Post
    No, that was me...

Sometimes when you owe someone a favour you have to do what they want you to do...

I'm not going to say that this is my last one...

17. rapfohl09

rapfohl09 Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    New York
    Well that just shows your a good guy, so good on you.

Any details on it yet or still in the works?

18. jkingma

Admin Post
    Patience Grasshopper.

In the meantime... look at that flame !!

[​IMG]

19. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Sweet! :)..................it would even work on mine................upside down however ;)

20. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2010
    HLMRmeer
    [late to the party] yeah... definitely another B stock. I'll tell you what. You got my address, I'll wire you the shipping cost just to be a nice guy. :D
    [/late to the party]

O! andeeehm, whatchu doing still up Dave?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.