Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So what's going on in Kingma's shop...?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jkingma, Jan 17, 2013.

1. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    For a minute there I thought you were working on a Medieval Torture device :p
    Looks like a lot of work went into those benders .

2. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    It wasn't too bad. I looked at buying one, but by the time I added in shipping and converted the price to Canadian $$, it was going to run me almost 7 bills.

I've got about 5 hours time invested, about $100 in materials and another $100 for the heat blanket.

3. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

John,

Those fixtures look fantastic. Well done.

I don't know how you guys live in such cold climates. I grew up in CT where there were always decent winters but good summers too. After moving to California in 97, I really don't think I'd ever move back to somewhere cold. The quality of life is so much better, hence the absurd cost of living......

Rob

4. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

Apr 13, 2013
    London, UK
    Great work on the fox benders. They look like they will hold up for many years. Definitely something I'll make when I finally get round to my own guitar design.

5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Well Rob, we live in Canada and to be honest I wouldn't live anywhere else no matter what the weather. We have a lot less problems than you guys do. I can't speak for John or anyone else but it's a great place to be. And yes it gets pretty cold but I'll still get at least 7 months in my shop..:lol::lol:

EDIT: Sorry John. Great looking benders!!

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

I must admit I am smitten with Quebec after several trips there.

Back to topic. John, I'm thinking of making a thin plywood style electric like the late 50s Silvertone 1420s. Do you think they use a similar jig to this? I've looked at the inside of mine and it does have purfling bridging the sides and faces. I think this technique might work with the thin plywood as well.

7. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Those benders look great! Once I get around to building an acoustic I'll have to use this thread as a reference.

I love living in Canada too, despite the cold winters. Wouldn't live anywhere else on the planet.

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Nice bending jig. I just did a set of sides on my Fox bender last week, the one with the lightbulbs. One of my GRD/ CharlesFox school classmates blueprinted the original Fox bender while we were there, and those that were interested got a copy. I was interested, and I made it on my return home.
    It uses springs with which I never feel quite comfortable with, especially when I'm stretching them around the bouts. It gets a gap in places too. Did you buy the blanket yet?

Having lived about 10 miles from Canada as a kid, I can attest that it is a real nice place . Well most of it anyway...I'm not much of a fan of the QEW around Toronto. :) which always seem like Le Mans.

My paternal grandfather was born on Wolfe Island, across from Kingston, so I guess thats one reason why I like it.

9. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    Nice. I love that clamping system to hold the bends down. Wish I had
    seen this before I tried bending the sides on an acoustic bass last year.
    My clamping was somewhat less efficient :lol:

10. jkingma

Admin Post
    It's multi-purpose... :D

Thanks.

Perhaps a little overkill... but that's okay.

Thanks, and YES on the heat blanket.

Mine's overkill, but those were the smallest press screws I could find at the time.

11. thecableguy

Where did you acquire those screws?

12. jkingma

13. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Great job on the bender.

14. jkingma

Admin Post
    Finally got around to doing a test with the bender. Thinned down some cherry and went to town. Worked pretty well. The bender made some snaps and pops as we bent the cutaway... but it held together. We may need to make some design improvements. We left the cherry in the bender overnight so that it could cool down and dry enough that it (hopefully) doesn't spring back. We'll pull it out tonight and see how it looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Great looking mo-sheenrey! What are you using to control your heat blanket? I've only seen the ones LMI has, and it looks like a blanket the size of yours plus the controller will go upwards of $300 or so.

16. jkingma

Admin Post
    I'm using a router speed controller from Rockler to control the heat blanket.

http://www.rockler.com/router-speed-control

Here is the result of our "test bend"

[​IMG]

Our mold needs some tweaking and adjustment, but overall the first attempt turned our pretty well. A bit of spring-back in the cutaway area that we have to deal with but that shouldn't be a big deal.

17. thecableguy

Looks great! Do you wet the wood before bending?

How many watts does the blanket take? You could probably just use a standard light dimmer to control it.

18. jkingma

Admin Post
    Yeah, I put in in the pond and held it down with a rock for about an hour. ;)

19. jkingma

Admin Post
    Seriously.

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Awesome.

I imagine that with all the tooling up required, not many guys just build one acoustic... :lol:

How flexible is that test piece now that it's cool? Is there flex to it? Do you have to get the bends just about perfect before you glue, or can it be held in shape with clamps or something as you glue it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.