Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So what's going on in Kingma's shop...?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jkingma, Jan 17, 2013.

1. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I took the picture last weekend.

Right now it is brutally cold here, but I can still see grass in most spots.

2. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    LOL.. I must thank you for the Polar Vortex.. I stepped outside this morning, scratched my nose, and it fell off...

3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Way cool on the acoustics John :D, good on you guys!

4. jkingma

Admin Post
    Just scored some cocobolo and cocobolo sapwood for a VERY reasonable price.

Lots of fretboards and some caps in here. I need to spend some time and figure out my optimum cuts.

[​IMG]

5. jkingma

Admin Post
    Laid out a bracing pattern for one of the upcoming acoustic guitar builds that my son and I will be starting. This is for the nylon string guitar. I've looked at a number of different bracing patterns for acoustics and I like this one the best for nylon string. It's nice and simple. Still have some research to do on the steel string.

[​IMG]

6. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    Wanna sell any of them? I have an idea where this would be PERFECT for :D

7. jkingma

Admin Post
    The bracing layout for the steel string guitar.

[​IMG]

The intent with these guitars is to have sort of a matching pair... one nylon string and one steel string. The body shape and size will be the same for both. It's basically copied from a Taylor Grand Auditorium with a cutaway added. Initially the plan was to have a 24" scale on the nylon string and a 25" scale on the steel string. However after drawing these out and talking with a couple builders who know a lot more about building acoustics than I do, we may have to make some changes to our design. More to follow when there is more to post. ;)

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    That looks pretty much like what I do. I put a bit of gap between the bridge plate and the long transverse bracing to avoid any squeaks. I extend the braces right to the rim and they taper to zero there. You may be seeing that upper brace too, since it is so close to the soundhole. It also could interfere with your lining at the cutaway...just my 2 cents..

9. jkingma

Admin Post
    I'm not bothered if I end up seeing the brace from the sound hole... but you are right about it being awfully close to the lining at the cutaway. I'll have to think on that a bit.

It's been suggest to me (particularly for the nylon string guitar) to increase the scale length to get the bridge closer to the middle of the lower bout. I don't want to make the bodies any smaller, so I may have to do this.

10. jkingma

Admin Post
    Wow, it's been cold lately. So cold that I haven't really been able to spend much time out in the shop. I fired up the furnace on Saturday and got the air space nice and warm, but the floor is just impossible to stand on for very long... even with the thick rubber mat I have in front of my workbench.

In the short period of time I spent out there on Saturday I was able to get some more work done in preparation of our acoustic builds. This is going to be a Fox type bender/mold. It's not done yet.

[​IMG]

11. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

12. jkingma

Admin Post
    Toughed it out yesterday and spent a bit of time in the ice cold shop resawing and thinkness sanding. By the time my body said to get in the house I had a Peruvian Walnut Back & Side set. I also did some resawing on a nice piece of birdseye maple, but the phone battery was dead by then and I didn't take a photo. I think I'm going to have to wait another month before I spend anymore time out there.

[​IMG]

13. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Has it been really cold out there this winter? We keep getting cold snaps followed by +6.

14. jkingma

Admin Post
    We've had 1 day since the start of the year that the temp got up over the freezing point. And that was for about 15 minutes one afternoon in January. It has been bitter cold here. We had 2 weeks straight where it was around -20C (and almost -40C with the wind chill). I've had enough of winter. It's affecting my enjoyment of life. ;)

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    This was a tougher winter ...like when we were kids.... I've owned a snowblower for 10 years now and used it more this the past month than any time since I bought it. Sometimes I used it 4 times a day to clear the driveway. The wind has been non stop. That to me is worse than the snow. I have drifts almost 5 feet high. It's just tiresome now.

16. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    We've had the second warmest January on record and February has been really nice too. I managed to get some template work done. I think it's an El Nino year otherwise it would be different here. It's supposed to be 10 to 12C on the weekend so I can get back in the shop. I'm feeling for you guys in the east. That's frustrating.

17. spyderxxx

spyderxxx Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2008
    Cambridge Ontario
    Doesn't anyone ski anymore? It's been a great winter. Waited one morning for the lift to start and it was -33 below Celsius.

18. jkingma

Admin Post
    Saturday Shop Shots...

Evan thicknessing a Birdseye Maple back and side set.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A couple Wenge fretboards...
    [​IMG]

I continued working on molds... templates... jigs... etc.

No pics of that.

19. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    I can't wait for you to really get going on those acoustics .Thanks

20. jkingma

Admin Post
    Almost done with the acoustic mold/bender units. Just a bit of tweaking and some secondary "hold-downs" required.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.