Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So what's going on in Kingma's shop...?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jkingma, Jan 17, 2013.

1. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I think I am going to rout off the cream binding and start over with white...

Not happy...

2. budgetbuild

budgetbuild Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    virginia
    Too bad about the binding John :(. Are you doing an exact replica with the relicing? What have you in mind for the picups?

3. jkingma

Admin Post
    I'm going to relic it as close as possible to the original, however, I'm not sure if I really have the patience for that... but it will look pretty close from a few paces away. ;)

As far as the pickups go... I have a set that a friend of mine made several years ago for me when I first had the brainwave to build this guitar. He researched it a bit before he made them but it was a long time ago and I'm not really up to speed on the specs.

I've been accumulating parts for this guitar for quite a long time and I was hoping I didn't have to fork out anymore money at this stage... but I am now thinking that I should just save this body for a future project and get some more alder and start the body (with white binding) from scratch.

But I may change my mind...

4. jkingma

Admin Post
    Got myself a new toy a while ago and finally got it installed today... a fence and resaw attachment for my bandsaw.

[​IMG]

It only took a few minutes to install and set up properly. I tested it by cutting a 3/32" thick slice off a piece of alder. It came out pretty much perfectly uniform along the length. This is going to make resawing fretboards (and other stuff) a treat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Nice toy, enjoy!

Seems like the surface of the vertical beam is convex, is it?

6. jkingma

Admin Post
    Yes it is. It allows you to adjust for blade drift.

7. jkingma

Admin Post
    So I have 2 projects on the go that I am slowly picking away at. 3 if you count the Del Rey that I have yet to re-assemble and set up.

Anyway, my son (who has 1 build under his belt - http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/308555-father-son-project-12-string-airline.html ) wants to build a couple acoustics. A steel string and a nylon string. So we're going to work on them together and see what happens.

Here is his concept sketch... they have a Ying Yang theme.

[​IMG]

I've built one nylon string acoustic in the past, but a lot of this will be new territory. Our first order of business (once the designs are pinned down) is to make all the jigs and templates. This will likely take a while.

8. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    Looks like a very cool undertaking. I've been wanting to make a
    classical, but the bending of the sides kind of scares me away.

What method/tool will you be using for the bending?

9. jkingma

Admin Post
    I've got a bending iron similar to this.

[​IMG]

10. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Cool concept. Will be watching!

11. jkingma

Admin Post
    Yesterday we spent a bit of time practicing some bending. Started by resawing up some scrap to work with. Let it soak in some water for about an hour and then gave it a whirl. For a first attempt for both of us, I think we did okay. Evan pulled up a few youtube videos for us to watch first. That helped a lot. Anyway, we need a few more practice sessions before we try this on any good wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Keep up the good work! That's hard to do without bumps.... I guess you develop a feel for a continuous movement and even pressure..... The few times I tried it came out OK but isn't on the tops of my list to do regularly. You may want to build a fox bender and use the iron for touching up...:).

13. jkingma

Admin Post
    We have found that putting a wet rag between the pipe and the wood really helped things to bend smoothly and evenly.

14. jkingma

Admin Post
    My son, Evan, and I are starting to get ready for a couple acoustic builds (as mentioned in an earlier post). We’re making a matched set… one steel string 14 fret and a 12 fret nylon string. The body shape is very similar to a Taylor Grand Symphony, but with a cutaway. We’ve got a lot of things to sort out and get ready before we actual start cutting any wood.

So far we have made some molds and forms, and also made a go-bar deck from an old coffee table.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Looks great, but your shop is entirely too spacious and neat... :eek:

16. jkingma

Admin Post
    I made the kid clean it up before we started.

:D

17. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Good move. Mine would run away and leave me to my own devices.. lol

18. jkingma

Admin Post
    This may look like 3 boards sitting on a flagstone patio, but it's actually the majority of 2 future acoustic guitars.

Wenge... Birdseye Maple... Peruvian Walnut...

You may have to use your imagination.

[​IMG]

19. mlp-mx6

mlp-mx6 Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2008
    Atlanta
    I really like my wenge fretboards.

20. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Looks good- where's the snow??

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.