Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So what's going on in Kingma's shop...?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jkingma, Jan 17, 2013.

1. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    So after 6 years and about 12 build threads I've decided it's just too much extra work to completely document my builds. I'd rather make sawdust than photos... but, I still want to contribute to the forum and occasionally show off what's going on in the shop. So that's what this thread is all about.

Right now I've got another Lefty neck in the works. You may recall that just before Christmas I was getting my first Lefty done.

[​IMG]

Well, just about the time it was going to be boxed up I discovered that the width of the nut was slightly off. I'm not quite sure how I eff'd that up, but I did. So long story short, new neck in the works.

Curly Maple with a Cocobolo fretboard just like the other one.

[​IMG]

Oh, and Ancient Kauri position dots as well.

[​IMG]

So anyway I'll have a spare lefty neck hanging around for some future project.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

2. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2009
    Calera, Alabama
    Beautiful work, and that wood is phenomenal. Excellent.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Sounds like a good excuse to make a body to me.

4. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    That's all well and good, but I'm just really upset that you have that many cocobolo fretboards laying around :p

5. jkingma

Admin Post
    That it is. :D

6. jkingma

Admin Post
    A few years ago I bought a board 60" x 3" x 1" for $60.00 and I got 9 fretboards from it.

Steal.

;)

7. jkingma

Admin Post
    Thanks.

8. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Aw , you just don't want us to see your shop getting messy :-D
    Nice work John

9. jkingma

Admin Post
    My shop is in a perpetual state of varying stages of messiness.

I've got nothing to hide.

;)

[​IMG]

10. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Nice collection of boxes :), a man can never have too many ;)

11. jkingma

Admin Post
    Disclaimer

The above picture of "The Shop" is not currently an accurate representation of said work space and is intended only to provide a general idea of its condition at any given time. At the present time there are no such boxes infringing on the said work space. The writers and producers of this thread sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that the posting of such a photo may have caused.

Blue Bill likes this.

12. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    :lol::lol::lol:

13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    1… ya built the guitar backwards.. :rolleyes:

2… your shop is almost as bigga mess as mine …. stay with it…. you'll get it right…. ;)

it always "kills" me when the magazines show wood worker's shops and they are immaculately clean and neat… funny thing is, of all the shops I have visited, never saw one, that was even close to neat…. not even "leaning" that way… :eek:

rk

14. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    Lol - I hear that. I've used the same guy for all my guitar work for years, really skilled luthier who never fails to get it just right.

He's also the most disorganised man I've ever met and his workshop looks like a bomb hit it. Half the time he can't even remember where he put my guitar and we spend half an hour looking for it when I come to pick it up. I swear there's half finished jobs from 20 years ago in there.

15. jkingma

Admin Post
    A couple weeks ago when I went out to the shop to rout the truss rod channel I could not find the lock ring for my template guide ("A" in the picture below). I must have looked for half an hour before I gave up and went back to the house.

[​IMG]

So I logged in to Lee Valley and order myself a new one (and a spare) and waited patiently for them to arrive. So a few days later the mail man drops off a small package from Lee Valley with my lock rings and a couple other things I had sitting in my Wish List. After supper I go out to the shop to continue with my plan of routing the truss rod channel.

The first thing I saw on my workbench when I went out there was the lock ring that I couldn't find a few days before.

16. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Looks good to me- my shop is a hostile environment for humans and/or machinery. I can barely walk in there- it's hazardous at best..

17. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I spent last weekend cleaning and reorganizing my shop , might finish this weekend :-O

18. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN
    Never fails - the ghost in the machine. I lived in a haunted old country house, and things would disappear, and then re-appear where they could not have possibly been placed. She was a nice sort of old lady, benign, but mischievous. The other day I had a real senior moment, could not find my eyeglasses at work (45 miles from home), and realized I had put them in a side pocket of my cargo jeans. DUH.

Beautiful neck, BTW.

19. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I can't wait to reorganize my shop. I plan to tear everything out (workbench, tools, pegboards, etc), build new cabinets, and restructure everything. When I finish the current projects, I'm going to do it..... stop laughing. I'm really gonna do it when my project list is complete :p

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

20. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Well..................we all know THAT ain't gonna happen :rolleyes: :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.