Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So What's A Drip Edge Vibro Champ Worth?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Slim Chance, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    I have a line on a Drip Edge VC and want to get a realistic idea of what to pay. It's claimed to be original, with original speaker. Seller says he doesn't know much else other than the the cord was upgraded to three-prong. No photos with tranny codes, but chassis number is legit. I can see it before buying, though. Looks clean, but not a closet queen. eBay sold prices around $400-$500.

Just looking for numbers. Don't want to over pay, but don't want to spend years waiting for the stupid good deal either. I know that if the caps are original, that they will need to be done.

TIA

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I paid $339 for my 1968 drip edge (black line) Fender Vibro Champ-Amp two years ago, near mint condition, and all original. It sat at GC for almost six months before I made an offer. I had a mint 1977 VR at that time and since sold the 1977.

I've since had '68 gone over with my tech, added a three prong plug and boxed the great condition original speaker and added a Weber. I keeper amp for sure. I would guess going rate for the same amp now is $400-$500 depending upon condition.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Paid 300 for a drip edge a few years ago. Recapped it, did the cord, stuck a Weber speaker in it and have the original as well.
    It's probably worth the 300 I paid for it now. (around here anyway)

4. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    They are usually posted for 350-450 on my local Craigslist.

5. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    Just my opinion but for any older tube amp, watch for key words in the ad. "new tubes, rebuilt, just gone over by the best tech" is code for -you will need to have a reliable tech do it all again at 250++ and if you find a 20 amp fuse or previous "popular mods" it may be a much more expensive fix to get it to reliably work and sound like it did when new..
    I think Id rather have one that is advertised as "needing work, I dont know whats wrong"

6. jcss

jcss TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2013
    midwest
    I have a 68 Bronco that is really clean....I recapped all of the electrolytics but the big can (which should be done)... saved all of the caps, new bias resistor and cord.

The original speaker in these is a joke btw.....I have mine somewhere LOL!

Anyhow, I was thinking $350 (if I did the big can cap) is more than fair for a clean one that's recapped and new speaker....many seem to ask more... but they seem to sit once over $500 for a clean recapped one.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Check the Vintage Guitar Price Guide, factor in the condition, and get a much information as possible about its service record. If you can't verify the service history (but if it has the original speaker) I'd suggest taking the lowest published retail (after factoring condition) and subtract about 25-30% simply because you have no idea what you're actually getting. If the speaker has been replaced knock off about $75-100.

The chassis serial number verifies the general date but nothing else. You have to actually see of have a clear description of the components to be able to accurately price it.

Wally likes this.

8. jcss

jcss TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2013
    midwest
    Knock off $75 to $100 for 'missing' an original Champ speaker?

Where did you come up with that info?

9. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    My favorite Vibro Champ deal...

I got a '66 chassis from Chicago. The amp did its cathode bypass cap party popper impersonation and the owner started to part it out. Original cab and speaker went away right quick. My oh my that chassis was mint, though. Nice plating, clean faceplate and all original parts including the blowed up cap and cooked resistor.

Through pure serendipity a '66 cabinet showed up on eBay. I got it for less than a hundo with the tube chart and the logo. It had been screwed to a garage wall for around 20 years. The original baffle had been cut for a 6"x9", perhaps with a Sawzall or a chainsaw judging by the quality of the work. I cleaned the cabinet up leaving much of the splattered paint and mojo. I fabricated a new baffle and loaded it with a Weber Sig.

I went through the chassis from one end to the other.

eBay was a little shaky at the time when I sold it. I got $450 for it from a dude on the West coast who was very happy to get it at that price.

10. BobbyZ

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    It's funny how sticking a Weber F125 speaker into a Champ reduces value when the speaker sells for a hundred bucks.
    But that's the way the vintage amp market works.

paratus likes this.

11. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    The Weber makes for a much better players amp than the stock Oxford. At least with my amp. I went with their alnico speaker.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

12. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    The Max Package is to swap the chassis into a MusicMaster Bass cabinet or a custom cabinet that accommodates a 12" speaker. Swap the OT to a multitap to support 8 ohms while you're at it.

The MMB cabinet used to be a good deal when MMBs could be had for $150 each, not such a good idea now that everyone is hyping them as a "Poor Man's Princeton" (it ain't!) or the cool tube amp everyone overlooked until now. (They didn't.)

Even if it wasn't a really cool upgrade (it is!) it's worth it just to see how much it bothers the Untouched Solder Joints And All Original Parts crowd.

13. BobbyZ

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Vintage anything markets are funny. Take cars.
    Pull a worthless for anything but racing 426 Hemi out of an old Mopar and replace it with a sweet running 289 Ford. And people get all POed and the resale value hits the toliet.
    Even though the car is now a much better daily driver. :)

14. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    :eek:

15. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    I paid $325 for this about 3 years ago from the original owner. It was basically a closet queen. I added a Weber 8A125 and a 3 prong. I then sold it(foolishly) for $350 maybe more and then bought it back for $325. It's a killer little amp and all I need in a 5 watter. I'd think a drip edge Vibro Champ in better than good condition is a $400 amp minimum.

DSCN0738.JPG DSCN0737.JPG

16. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    Seller isn't returning my emails. If nothing comes of it, I'll be armed for the next one, though.

17. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Latrobe PA

You need to sell that amp immediately - the top back panel has migrated upside down!!!:D

JazzboxBlues likes this.

18. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I deal with collectable/vintage pricing on a daily basis.

That's a conservative deduction for a '67-early '69 drip edge Champ with a replacement speaker. It's a good example of why - even if blown - you always keep the original speaker with any collectable amp.

From a *practical* standpoint it seems high, but vintage gear pricing has its own rules (just like pulling the blue tone and coupling caps in a vintage Fender may be needed IF - and only IF - they read as leaking, but keeping them with the amp will not affect the price - toss 'em and it's roughly a couple hundred bucks difference, sometimes more.). If a larger amp came with an alnico Jensen and it's gone it makes a huge difference in the price - and the ability to resell it.

Even original 2-prong power cords should be kept. Collectors are getting more and more picky about every original part except tubes either being used if working or packaged in a Ziplock and kept with it if not.

30-40 years ago we didn't worry about this stuff, so the majority of vintage pieces (that have ben worked on) are missing original parts. So it makes much more of a difference on the ones that DO have them, and has more of a negative pricing effect on ones missing the stuff.

Example of not having a crystal ball - in '71 a buddy and I stripped an "ugly pink paisley '68 Tele" and painted it red. Had no affect on the price.

Then....

;-)

Wally likes this.

19. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    I thought she was a goner. Tough to fix but I got it done. Thanks for pointing it out.

20. jcss

jcss TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2013
    midwest
    I've been dealing with vintage tube amps for 35+ years but a stock 8" Oxford in a Champ aint no Chicago Jensen P12N.

Then again out of all of my vintage amps (more than a few) I tend to run newer speakers.... but a stock Oxford 8" is at the bottom of the speaker chain in my view.....I know a fellow that must have 50 or 60 small blown Fender speakers and most all are 8"

Besides, many "players grade" amps are easier to sell if they are priced accordingly.

Champ amps are certainly not rare....matter of fact there are many for sale in my area for $500 to $700 and guess what, they sit for months.. sometimes years because there are so many in my area (Midwest).

But hey, guess I need to locate that stock Oxford 8" that came out of my 68 Bronco amp....it's buried somewhere in my basement!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.