Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So what kind of music do you play anyway?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Breen, May 27, 2010.

1. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2009
    Singapore
    I'll get this new room going :p

My guitar life grew up on blues. But I was a hesh metal punkhead growing up. When I picked up guitar I listen to ANYTHING with killer guitar in it. Ted Nugent, The Police, SRV, AC/DC, Anti-Flah, Brent Mason, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Malmsteen...

Difference now is only I listen to any killer music. Miles Davies, Brad Paisley, Frank Zappa, Django, Gypsy Kings, Stravinsky, Larry Charlton, Lady Gaga, Carrie Underwood, John Mayer.......

Now, I still play blues, play for church fortnightly, pick country whenever I can, learning jazz, and when I need to do shreddy stuff to blow steam I do so. Very uncleanly.

So what music do you play?

2. SatelliteOrders

SatelliteOrders Friend of Leo's

Mar 3, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    Used to be, unless my mind had other plans, my fingers would play the blues. Now, I'm as likely or more to jump to "Buckaroo" as "Spoonful".

I like you play in church, which puts me very CCM, and most of the people I jam with are on the prog end of things, and I can hang with that.

3. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    We do originals from straight country to almost punk. It's hard to describe.

We try and work Tele twang into everything so it's Western, and Christina's songs are about unusual characters with ironic twists, "other forces" at work and every now and then somebody dies.

So we call the genre Western Gothic. It's easy for people to remember and they can decide what it means.

4. Jellyroll

Jellyroll Tele-Holic

May 23, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    That is amazing. My band Duende! Has used western gothic, and gothic americana to describe our sound! We really draw from lots of stuff; country, punk, psychedelia, blues, folk, experimental, rocknroll. We like to say we are as influenced by Woody Guthrie as we are by Sonic Youth. Howlin Wolf and the Velvet Underground. Hank Williams and Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd. Not sure how much we actually sound like any of these folks, but that is who influences us. Oh yeah, and The Cramps, The Fuzztones, The Gun Club, The Sonics........

5. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    I like to think of my stuff as progressive rock with jazz flavors but what I have on myspace doesn't complete the picture. I have a lot of stuff that's longer, more developed but you can't put anything on there longer than 4 min or so. Unless they upgraded that option but I haven't heard about it.

I came up playing blues and hard rock in the 60's and 70's and got a taste for jazz about 75. Went back to school in the 80's and have been learning jazz and applying what I got out of it to some of my compositions.
    Anyway you can visit my site and hear for yourself. Enjoy.

http://www.myspace.com/proazza

6. dguitar3

dguitar3 Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    I'm pretty much "for hire" so I'll play whatever for whoever. Jazz, R&B, Funk, Fusion, Rock, Pop. Just whatever I can make some dough doing. I enjoy all of it.

7. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    Sounds sort of like us. We go from Beggar's Banquet to Pixies in the blink of an eye. The link below is our latest CD. It's the closest we could get to having a "sound".

If you get out to Albuquerque we'll put a show together.

8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    i make noise which as of yet is not tied to any specific genre

9. yark14

yark14 Friend of Leo's

Aug 2, 2008
    Austin, TX. Formerly Iowa
    I would say that I'm a folkie, with a dash of blues, rock, and country. Vague enough?

10. TheZ

TheZ Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2009
    Northwest USA
    Half folk, half punk/new wave. Then some random singsong stuff thrown in there as well.

11. Jonder

Jonder TDPRI Member

May 7, 2010
    SW MO
    born in 1966 listening to my older sibilings Records as i grew up. Yardbirds,Hendrix,Cream,Zepplin,Doors,Elvis,Beatles those influenced me at first. as a teenager in the 80's i saw Eddie VanHalen play eruption and went straight out and bought my first guitar, a Lotus LP copy from a guy who would eventually be my first guitar teacher. Then Metallica smacked me upside the head, followed by Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. i still own over two hundred TAB mags from the 80's and 90's. i tried to learn to play everything Rock and Metal. i gave up after awhile,sold my G&L in frustration, knowing i just dont have the Brain or fingers to keep up with Yngwie Malmsteen. ....and then
    i heard Buddy Guy play.
    I was inspired when he said "man i can't even read music, but i know what feels right and where its at." it was at this point i was ReBluevenated
    i will play blues the rest of my days ,on stage or in the woodshed ,it dont matter cause i can improvise and put what i am feeling into it. so at this point, while i enjoy all music, I am full blown Blue.
    thanks to anyone who read this damn long post.

12. LaExpatriot

LaExpatriot Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2009
    Central OH
    My musical journey has had many stops. Folk, Hair Metal, British Invasion, Blues, Country, Rockabilly, Grunge, etc, etc, etc.................

What really stuck with me is the Classic Country, Early 80's Punk Rock and Rockabilly music.

One of my bands "Midnight Martini's" is sort of Social D meets the Cramps meets Hank Williams.
    My other band "The Odd Job Millionaires" is straight ahead 50's Rockabilly with a dash of Jump Blues for good measure.

13. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I play a cross between Frank Black and Big Black sprinkled with a touch of the March Violets and wrapped up in some Stiff Little Fingers.

14. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

been playing since late 50's, and like others i've made many "stops" along the road to get where i am now. i've played all sorts of music and enjoyed it all. started out playing what passed for R&R in the late 50's/early 60's, have done Ventures stuff, surf type stuff, played blues, bluegrass, jazz type stuff, big band tunes, played a kabrillion square dances and pie suppers. i just wanted to play, ya know. when i got somewhat proficient enough to call myself a picker (1965 after discharge from military service), i played mainly country/country jazz/country rock. it's what "grabbed" me in my soul, but must admit i LOVED playing CCR and BTO along with it.

now that i've pretty much hung up my spurs as far as performing "out", i play Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, Joe Maphis, mostly instrumental style tunes and lots of traditional Gospel music.

i find it VERY liberating to be able to play what i like now, not stuff that i'm "required" to play in order to please Mr. John Q and Miss Myrtle Honky Tonk.

15. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I hate those bastards :p

16. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago
    well, as my name implies, mainly jazz, but i'm cool with soul, R&B, chicago gospel, reggae, and pop.

I avoid playing rock if i can--I'm just no good at it.

17. TxTeleMan

TxTeleMan Tele-Afflicted

Jul 1, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Play in a church P/W band on Sunday. Modern stuff... you know with all the delay and overdrive and all... I play bass, using a Godin and flatwounds. Lots of bottom end.

Play my Tele in a Bob Dylan & The Band group at various gigs around town. We play Bob Dylan and The Band tunes.

Play in an acoustic duo - Tom Waits, Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, and various other kinds of acoustic stuff.

18. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

yeah, John Q and Miss Myrtle sure seem to "get around", don't they...!!?:lol:

19. wangdangdoodle

wangdangdoodle Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2008
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I am mainly a Jazz guy but I also dig blues, honky tonk, western swing, classical, hard rock, and just whatever moves me regardless of genre.

20. SimpleOne

SimpleOne Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2008
    Cloud
    I read it, I liked it, you are welcome:p

My buddy and I are old dudes, we play folk and softer rock, ballads of a sort, acoustic rock. I finger pick the tele most times.

My partner Rey specializes in finding obscure songs, a lot of which I have never heard, and I put a little tele in each one and invent some harmony on vocals. He calls this process "making it or own". :lol:

Rey is one very laid back strummer and singer. He reins in my excesses, frequently.:oops:

Fun responses to read guys and gals.:cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.