So what are us old guys gonna do with them teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Guitardvark, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

I read a thread that stated all us old guys have lots of guitars and what are we going to do with them? It was a profound moment of thought, for a change.

Well I am in old guy and have wondered the same thing. What am I going to do with my guitars?
    my family has zero appreciation for anything guitar related. Count them all out bec..
    #1 I don't want my stuff ending in a pawn shop.
    #2 they are not worthy..

After some decisions being made I will bring my tele into here and sell it off to the guys who know love and really appreciate them. I cant think of anything better to do with it ya know.

So when its time or I get the bad news, Ill let ya know in advance to take out that pay day loan and bring my tele in here for you all to goggle over and maybe one of you lucky peoples will be the proud new owner of a vintaqe untouched 1968 blonde..it was owned by spankd plank in here who traded it off for a polar white refin 59.. I was gonna buy that 59 but it was at that time about 10 or 11k, but I got mister planks leftovers the 1968. thank you mister plank for leaving me the 68

What are you old guys gonna do with them guitars?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Yeah, someone told me the pristine '51 Tele my uncle Festus left me, w/out a scratch & never even taken out of the case but to look at it, might be worth something - but I looked more carefully, and found that somebody messed up the neck by penciling in "9/17/51 TG" on the heel. I tried to erase it, but you can still read it - otherwise would have been perfect. It's probably too old to play any of the new-fangled modern music anyway, so I'll probably donate it to first comer here on TDPRI ... Oh wait, ... sorry, I guess I was just day dreaming ... :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Kebmel, Skamania, tintag27 and 8 others like this.
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I got a lot of inexpensive stuff & a few higher dollar ( to me) odds & ends. No one in my family will want my crap.

4. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

You bring up a good point...

I’ve already started making notes on each item (guitars, amps, effects and other gear), with descriptions and realistic street values so family members at least have some clue as to where they can start when the time comes...

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I just want mine to go to good Christian homes.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thats just another thing I don’t worry my pretty little head about.;)
    I bet all my groovy stuff ends up being enjoyed by the next guy.
    Cool with me.

7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

My kids have to at least have a basic understanding of how to use a git fiddle, not that I've decided reasonably which one gets what. I need to acquire more gear so the grandkids aren't left out....

By the way, oldest kid is 10. I should have some time to mill this over. But it's a quite real thing, one I started pondering when my second son was born. I often wonder if other people think on this, but it's not typical "buying strings at a guitar store" level random small talk.

Guitardvark likes this.
  8. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

I'm gonna boogie 'till I puke. after that it won't matter

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I suppose, it’s the definition of someone else’s problem.

Shame you feel the family are not worthy. I maintain a document with details of the valuable stuff with descriptions, S/Ns, dates, selling notes, mods done and expected prices (or how to research the current ones). I’ve told the kids which are valuable or top players to keep for future generations. Both my kids are highly musical but play classical instruments.

They can do what they want with them but I don’t want them getting ripped off to letting my best ‘60s stuff fail to cover a house deposit or a car or something for them, which they would easily.

10. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

hey at least it provoked some thought. even boogieng till ya' puke out was a thought you might not have had before :).

and not worrying about it doesnt mean ya haven't thought about it.

bec it is a real thing.

Tagging items is a good idea just in case. We do want our heirs to get the value out of it that we perceive to be true fair and honest.
    My friend was tossing out some old art prints his mom had left to him and they were cool looking and I had bare walls. Took em home hung em. They aren't just prints. They are signed originals by Paul Maxwell done in 1965. I haven't told him,yet. Ignorance is blissful don't want to hurt his feelings too. The point is he had no idea the prints were worth a little more than garbage at the recycling plant.

I can just go sell it outright but then I have no say in the matter other than take the cash .
    I want to hand it off to a kindred spirit like we in a marathon and pass the baton.

and If I sell it while Im still alive and I can get a WWII survival kit

Bruxist, bsman, bumnote and 1 other person like this.
  11. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I have no idea what my wife will do with whatever gear I happen to have at the moment, don't really care either way. My oldest daughter's fiancé plays guitar so he may get the stuff.

DeanEVO_Dude and Guitardvark like this.
  12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I don't have anything vintage or rare; don't much care what happens to all that.

I hope each of the kids at least takes one of my scratch-builds to remember me by, whether they ever play it or not.

There's one I wanna take with me though.

13. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Eventually, science and technology will solve this dilemma ... In the future, you will be able to take it with you ...

bumnote, kafka and Guitardvark like this.
  14. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

oh man I hadnt thought I can freeze it right next to ted williams head :)

wait no I cant, employees at the cryo lab played baseball with it..

say it aint so joe say it aint so!!!

15. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

No problem here! My nephew is a big time tele picker. Im taking this one with me if possible. 20160521_135956_zps2a2csh4d.jpg

16. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

My wife wants a list of descriptions and values for all my gear so she can sell it when I die.

17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

your fam will grab a couple things that they think are valuable, but most of your stuff is going for pennies on the dollar at the estate sale, and that what doesn't sell is going to st vinnies or the dumpster

18. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

My wife has been instructed as to sell mine for as much as she can. If she goes first, lord knows where they end up.

Guitardvark likes this.
  19. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I will leave instructions for who to give things to. Or in some cases - a couple vintage guitars - where to consign. My teles are partscasters. Wonderful guitars. I have no interest in trying to sell such things. It's becoming virtually impossible to sell even really good gear without relentless low-balling, all kinds of nastiness. I'd rather give stuff away and make friends happy.

20. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

My son will want one or two, but he's not really a serious picker, he just likes to look at them on their stands and polish them. The rest I will tell him to sell. If I'm dead it won't matter to me where they wind up.

Lef T and Guitardvark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.