Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

So, uhhh...a 'friend' is looking at these...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by rideit, Mar 26, 2013.

1. rideit

rideit Tele-Holic

2. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

It looks like the heel has been rounded like for a Strat neck.

3. BeeTL

BeeTL Tele-Holic

Yes, but it's a 22 fret neck with fretboard overhang:

[​IMG]

Ships from China.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

At the price point, can it be assumed they cured the wood properly before using it ?

6. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Well, it's obviously illegal. Quality? No way to tell. If your "friend" is going to buy one, he had better do it quickly before the F legal team hears about the auction and pulls the trigger on that seller.. Not really a problem, though, as the seller will be back with a different name and IP address within hours..

7. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's

So if the butt end is rounded with FB overhang you adjust your template to suit. If it no good, it's a pretty expensive truss rod, if it's ok it's reasonable for someone who cannot make their own. Most here would make it for about $15.00 + truss rod + $100.00's worth of fun!

8. AussieAndrew

AussieAndrew Friend of Leo's

From China, I'd be very sceptical - especially that cheap. Actually I wouldn't have it. No chance ! Better off by far spending an extra $50 for a Mighty Mite, etc, licensed neck. Then you'll have a good neck with a "Guarantee".

9. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

That is an EDEN neck. If you put together a lot order from EDEN, they will switch up the features just about anyway you want. A few years back, EDEN necks were selling for about 27-28$ with the Make an offer function.

I bought one once ( what the heck, 27$). The fretboard is not canadian maple, the tuner holes were not spaced evenly, and the fretwork was horrible. It was, for lack of a better word, a 27$ neck.

10. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Not illegal, sorry.

that said, theres no way I'd buy one xD

11. jimdkc

jimdkc Tele-Afflicted

The Telecaster headstock is trademarked. It's illegal!

12. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

I had a horrific brain fart, Im about to head to sleep :p BODIES aren't trademarkable, but the headstock shapes are haha. I even mention that in my first post here :oops: disregard! :p

13. TEAM LANDRETH

TEAM LANDRETH Tele-Meister

I got a very similar neck from a different supplier, but it looks exactly like that neck. Mine is more flat sawn than that one, but twenty-two frets and very light colored. I'm sure they are from the same factory. The tuner holes on mine are evenly spaced, and the truss rod is single acting but smooth.

On the plus side, the head stock is deeper like on the Eric Johnson Strat. It doesn't need string trees because of this. I've had it on a tele for about two years and it is very stable even through our dry winters. Son number two used it on a few tours and it has flown numerous times. It's still dead straight.
    I've worked as a guitar tech for years and I've done countless fret dressing and re-frets over the years. It's a good thing, because the frets were badly leveled and not dressed at all. There were file marks on almost all the crowns. It really needed some TLC to get it into shape, but once there, it's been a great neck. It has a shallow 'D' profile which I don't mind, but if you like 'em fat, this ain't the neck for you. It also has a twenty inch radius which is very un-tele like. I don't mind it, but Jr. prefers something less flat. The overhang is nice. I've started putting it on all my new constructions, and I'm making all my neck blanks thicker so I can use the deeper head stock design. I really like that feature.

If you do your own fret work, it's a great price. Who knows, maybe they figured out how to dress frets in the interim. If not, it could get pricey getting it leveled and set up.

I won't buy another one though. I bought one because I wanted to see if it was a diamond in the rough.

Rough yes.

More quartz than diamond.

14. eskil

eskil NEW MEMBER!

It's trademarked in US, but not in the rest of the world --> It's not illegal in China.

15. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

No, but it's illegal once it hits US shores.

16. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Please let's not start this again!! Anywho.. If it's really Canadian Maple, you can be assured that it is great Maple, It's Canadian!!! I never knew there was even such thing as Canadian Maple..

17. rideit

rideit Tele-Holic

It's just regular maple that got lost after getting in a horrific hockey game fight in Maine, blacked out, and woke up in Quebec.

It's still a little bitter aboot it.

18. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Well, you know, sometimes you just need to run these things up the flagpole and see what happens. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.