So my amp died... help me with this opportunity!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tobias, May 14, 2019.

1. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

Today the repair guy told me my amp was a goner (or I’m too cheap to get it repaired for more dough than it cost me in the first place).

Vox AC15cc, thank you for your service. I liked you and preferred you to - for example - blues juniors.

Left is my Cube 80xl - it will do for now, but I need a second one for when friends come over to jam and it’s fun to have options. :)

Now I’ve also been taking singing lessons for a while and singing more in the band. So a Cube Street Ex might make sense. Or a PA or monitors or an amp that can handle both bass or guitar? (I expect that last one to not work, but what do I know?)

So - surprise me - what options should I be considering? Lets set the budget at 1000 euro’s - that’s way more than I’d prefer to spend, but it might pay off in long term planning.

Thanks for reading!

2. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

I think Peavey makes an amp that can handle guitar, bass , and keyboards or something like that. It is solid state.

Tobias likes this.
  3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

is it the power tranformer that went? , Caps?
    AC 15's are great stable amps you could sell it for parts aand use that with your now budget to get something else

as for your listed options some powered monitors may not be a bad idea depending on what you need more ,another guitar amp or a Pa for vocals , with a PA and a DI you could run bass or guitar as well.

it all depends on the applications

Tobias likes this.
  4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I'm a big Vox fan, so I'm thinking that if the AC15 has done the job before, check out the used market for another one.
    Good luck !!

Tobias likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Tobias likes this.
  6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I bet the Vox can still be fixed, or (if you're so inclined), be transformed using the existing parts, unless the transformers are blown.

I don't quite understand your question: are you looking for a replacement for electric guitar (in which case look at an AC15C1), or are you primarily looking for something for vocals and bass?

Tobias likes this.
  7. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

+1 on Peavey. I have an old red stripe Bandit that I love but it stays at home, too heavy for me to lug. Also own a vypr VIP2 that I can use with a bass as well as guitar. That amp and the Sanpera pedal and I am ready to go with a lightweight setup.

Tobias likes this.
  8. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

Like this....
    https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/658/118347/

Tobias likes this.
  9. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

I have the VIP2 which is 40 watt and a 12" speaker but the 3 is even better IMHO.

Tobias likes this.
  10. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Super Six!

Tobias likes this.
  11. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

Yes, what it specifically wrong with the Vox?

Does it have the warfdale or celestion blue speaker?

It would at least make a great extension cabinet.

Tobias likes this.
  12. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

Transformer wrecked and 2 new tubes needed. I did not think of the extension cabinet option, that would have been clever (thanks!), but would probably go in the “clutter” category. I am not handy with DIY, know nobody that would like to mess with it, and didn’t want to have the used market parts hassle.

Also tx for the suggestions. As to what I’m looking for: if it was ‘just’ a guitar amp, I’d go to a few stores and see where my current sound interests lie. And might very well end up with a Vox again.

I’m most interested in gear or setups I might overlook in the combined vocals - guitar angle. Like DI to small PA, I know it exists but that’s about all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.