Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So let me get this straight about the Silver Sky...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hexabuzz, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Love Talmans. Just missed one like this on CL a few years ago. Still bummed about it:

[​IMG]

Zepfan and 6stringcowboy like this.
  2. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Jakedog likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

All the big guitar makers come out with signature models, right? Even if they don't sell a lot of them, there must be a halo effect. Maybe the details of the model are less important that the star.

Or look at one of the biggest guitar heroes out there today: Tosin Abasi. He started out Ibanez and now he has his own company. Could that be the future?

4. Harry

Harry Tele-Meister

Jan 23, 2006
    It could have featured two single coils, a bolt on neck and a metal bridge plate. Zepfan's post below nails it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Are we talking 12 strings here? ;):)

Zepfan likes this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    IMG_2257.JPG

Frodebro, AAT65 and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The ironic thing about the attached pic is that I saw it on another thread and copied it to display here. See what I did?:lol:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    IMO, if PRS came out with a $400 strat copy, it probably wouldn’t blip the radar because it wouldn’t be the JM Siganture Guitar. This is a signature, big money guitar with 2.5 years of R&D behind it. I think that’s the main reason for the outpouring of opinions about it.

Now as far as the other guitar makers like Suhr, Anderson, Kirn, Nash are concerned, I’m of the belief that they are producing replicas of a period correct, pre CBS Fender guitars. Bill Nash goes as far as to document that as his mission on his website so the difference I guess is that they are fully transparent in presenting the guitar as, as close a match to the original as they can get to as opposed to it being their revolutionary, brand new, never seen before guitar that required their top designers and 2.5 years.

All that said... It’s bound to be a good guitar, aesthetics aside. It’s a PRS, it’s a Signature guitar, odds are it will be excellent.

william tele and kelnet like this.
  9. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Paul must be very happy at all the controversy this guitar has caused. Two days after it's release we have multiple threads with hundreds of posts, ON A FORUM DEDICATED TO TELECASTERS. His Ad agency couldn't pay for that much attention at any price.
    As to all the comments "Why didn't they do this or why didn't they do that", they did what John wanted. If they were just designing their own take on a three single coil guitar maybe they would have done some things differently. But, apparently this was the way HE wanted it.
    As far as all the complaints about "What took two years of development?", this occurs with ALL signature guitars. It was the same at Fender with Clapton, Beck, et al.
    They send one prototype and he says "can you make the neck profile a bit more this way?" or "Can you make the body contour a little more like this", or "Can you make the pickups sound a bit more this way?".
    It takes many prototypes being built before they settle on a final design that the artist is happy with.
    I have no doubt that Fender signature models also take a couple of years of development of many prototypes before finding a design that ticks all the boxes for the artist. Otherwise it really wouldn't be a signature model, it would be a stock model in the artist's favorite color with his/her name on it.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Well, this thread has 228 responses as of right now. Quite a lot for a guitar that nobody can stand. I think it will sell buttloads.

Jakedog likes this.
  11. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    I'd have a Fender 70's 'big head' re-issue Strat than a PRS knock-off.

I like those big headstocks.

Yes I do!

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

But how many people have said it rustles their jimmies?

TheGoodTexan and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Haha... not sure it matters though.... controversy sells.

14. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    you'll need a pair of these to go with your new PRS
    28763297_597170010626675_1178382315550670848_n.jpg

15. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The guitar is solid meme fodder. I’ll give it that. IMG_4843.JPG

60customtele, BigDaddyLH and warrent like this.
  16. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I'm thinking that my Army Retirement gift to myself might be a 513, 509 or perhaps even a 408. In fact, it could be any one of those without prejudice since I'll likely be buying from a brick 'n' mortar versus online, and I'll be looking for a Pattern Thin neck carve.

Retrospectively, I'm not sure which came first, my appreciation for Paul Reed Smith's guitars or me starting to branch out into different musical styles from the Blues and Blues-based rock that I'd started with. Chicken or the egg? I realize that sounds like I can't play multiple musical styles on Strats, Teles and LPs, or that I can't play Blues-Rock on a PRS, but that's not what I'm saying at all. What I am saying is that my PRS SE, sonically, functionally and ergonomically allows me to express myself better in more styles than my Strat, Tele or LP.

Almost all my favorite players play Strats. I remember watching a Crossroads Guitar Festival and I could count the dudes who didn't play Strats on one hand: Vince Gill played part of his set on a Tele, Robert Randolph (duh!), Derek Trucks on an SG, Hubert Sumlin on an LP-alike, and Steve Vai on his signature Ibanez.

Rock what rocks you!

EDIT: My PRS has a "Wide Thin" neck...so that's what I like. My fault.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.