Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So let me get this straight about the Silver Sky...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hexabuzz, Mar 7, 2018.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Changed from what?

Jakedog likes this.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield

Yeah but ain't you a drummer? I do love Toto!

Jakedog likes this.

3. strat54

strat54 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    What I said.

4. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Or changed where? Sure it’s got that ground breaking 3 + 3 headstock and birds on the neck but aside from that, it’s a Strat. If I bolted on a Strat neck, it would look like any other Strat.

I harbour no ill will to PRS and if I get the fever and the only cure is a PRS, I’ll get one gladly but that’s a Strat copy and it wouldn’t be the one I’ll buy.

Piggy Stu, AAT65 and strat54 like this.

5. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That’s the one. One of those has been advertised on CL up here for a while. It looks like a decent knock off. It also looks like the prototype for the Silver Sky.

6. strat54

strat54 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    I am referring to the 2 Ibanez guitars not looking like Strats. Yes, I think the new PRS Silver Sky is a copy of a Strat at least visually. Electronics may be a little different and that head stock....What can I say 'bout that:confused::eek::oops::cry:o_O?

7. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Sorry about that. I missed the back story. Yes the Talman are definitely inspired by Fender but not copies and IMO, more along the lines of the Fender offset designs. I’d have one. The look unique enough and Ibanez makes good guitars.

strat54 likes this.

8. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    You didn't say anything. You said Ibanez made changes to those guitars. What did they loòk like before they were changed?

9. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    It'll be interesting to see how TDPRI reacts when PRS puts that neck on a tele body and issues it as a Brad Paisley signature model.

Tele1966, AAT65 and Boubou like this.

10. strat54

strat54 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2014
    Georgia
    I was saying the Ibanez models don't look like copies of a Strat. But then someone else pointed out that they are almost exact copies of the shape of Jazzmasters. I said I don't play Jazzmasters and did not spot that likeness until it was pointed out to me. Sorry for the confusion but this thread is no longer fun for me:(. To me, the new JM PRS is so close to looking like a Strat other than the neck that I don't see why they even bothered making it. John could've sent Paul over to Guitar Center and bought a Strat and slapped the PRS neck on with the flipped head stock. Looks like the only BIG decisions they made was flipping the headstock and giving the new, groundbreaking creation a name. Just doesn't look like 2.5 years of original ideas and work to me. They regurgitated a Stratocaster. But, I will probably pick one up and play it in time:). I've owned a handful of PRS guitars in the past and I never say, "Never". I almost forgot that I also owned a PRS Swamp Ash Special for about a month but I traded it for a LP. I don't own any PRS guitars at the moment. I got Teles and TeleISH guitars though....and an EPI Wildkat.

11. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    The headstock. One THOUSAND times the headstock. *puke*

Sent from my LGMP260 using TDPRI mobile app

12. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I can't imagine that they were ever intended to look like copies of a Strat, just like an ESP Eclipse was never meant to look like a copy of a Strat.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    If I had the money to buy a PRS, it would be a Santana model and not a overpriced Strat copy that are a dime a dozen for cheap.
    I don't think this will sell much for PRS.

Then again, this one really looks cool.:twisted: 99D455C6-2BBE-4FDE-9A4D-E93D59773CCA.jpeg

Ro_S, strat54, Tele1966 and 2 others like this.

14. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    It would look more or less like my Sammick Greg Bennett FA2.

[​IMG]

Of all guitars, I like a Tele shape the most. I prefer a Strat neck, but that's a rarity or DIY, so headstock shape is secondary. I like the PRS birds and headstock, but not this flipped version (even the pimpled Sammick 'stock is better than that). Nowadays I'm buying more for the pickups anyway.

That is a nicer looking copy than the PRS.

I'm surprised Mayer didn't incorporate some of the multi-switching or pickup combinations from his Dead & Company signature guitar. Now that is a PRS I would love to own, but it is stupid-expensive.

AAT65, Zepfan and awasson like this.

15. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yup. Me too. I’d have the Santana model too but I’ve already got an early 80’s Ibanez Artist. If I didn’t, then yeah, I’d get one of theirs.

Zepfan likes this.

16. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    What irks me is not the blatant copying of a well-established design. That's boring, but usual business. And by the way often enough our own fault - just think of the comments about the Music Man St Vincent signature model. There we have an original (and carefully thought out) design and a whole lot of guitarplayers went like it was the downfall of guitarmaking. I sometimes feel we should advocate a bit more....curiosity for change.
    Anyway, that's usual business.
    But to advertise a straight 100% copy with "two and a half years of development"??????? Really, development???
    It takes me about 20 minutes to order all the parts for this strat from suppliers (and I'm talking about quality parts) myself. It also takes about a phonecall and another half an hour to give any good luthier the specifications to build a strat for me.
    So what was the "development" here? The public relations department organising parties, holiday trips and VIP lounge tickets for John Mayer, convincing him to give his name for advertising a strat with his name on?

awasson, Ro_S, Tele1966 and 5 others like this.

17. BALIstic

BALIstic TDPRI Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Western Australia
    I dont care what anyone thinks.....Ive got one in Tungsten coming. Yeah Baby !

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    awasson, AAT65, Jakedog and 2 others like this.

18. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    This particular PRS is not my cup of tea, but after hating on PRS as a brand for most of a decade, I finally played an SE Custom 24. With a Floyd (!)

And bought it. It's my favorite guitar.

If we all liked the same stuff there wouldn't be enough to go around. I guy I used to work with at a gun shop used to say that, and what applied in shooting sports seems to apply to the same breadth and degree in all things guitar-related.

19. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Enjoy! It will be a beautifully made guitar, there is no doubt about that.

20. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    STOP SPREADING THESE LIES!

strat54 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.