Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So let me get this straight about the Silver Sky...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hexabuzz, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I'm getting the general impression that people think it's an unnecessary copycat ripoff of a Strat...

But why the hate when there are so many high end (and super-high end) Tele "copycat ripoffs" that everybody not only love, but frequently recommend with high praise that they are better than Fender...

Odd reaction to this new guitar, in my eyes... Or at least hypocritical...

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Yea., I always try to do a wait and see. Headstock is odd as heck, however.

It was quiet when xotic pedal company last year introduced their Strat line.

3. Ro_S

Ro_S Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2015
    England
    That headstock, or any 3-a-side, looks so wrong on a Strat - and Fenders generally. The traditional Strat design is an iconic one with modern lines which remain modern looking now.

The Strat is a superior design to the Tele. You don't mess with a Strat, cos there's no need to. Leo Fender designed the Strat, and then the Jazzmaster, for a reason: to improve on what came before. Logically, the Tele should no longer exist - except for its bridge pickup.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Because PRS, John Mayer, and there hasn't been another bit of news to trigger everybody yet this week.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    It’s not the same guys. It’s the OTHER guys. :D

2blue2 likes this.

6. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    It's not that different pricewise from a custom shop guitar or any of the premium Strat copies. If it is produced with PRS' attention to detail, folks will buy it. Frankly, spending $2k on a Strat or Tele is overkill IMHO. But I also wouldn't spend $4k on a LP either. Just like luxury cars and houses, there is a market for this stuff or the wouldn't manufacture it.

davidchagrin and Obsessed like this.

7. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    I take the neck pickup anytime over the bridge

8. Ro_S

Ro_S Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2015
    England
    Re: a stock Tele -
    I suspect you're in a very small minority.

What do you like about the Tele neck pickup so much? (I don't it dislike per se, btw.)

9. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA

10. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    Make a $2000 butterscotch tele that is better than the quality from the Fender Custom Shop. No problem. Now put bird inlays on the neck and watch everyone lose their sh|t.

11. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    And God forbid it would get even worse if it might be built by the "G" people...

guitarbuilder, DougM and Obsessed like this.

12. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I’m one of the people who isn’t very happy about the Silver Sky but it’s not because I dislike expensive Strat-a-likes or PRS (or the birds - I have birds on my PRS!) or even John Mayer. It’s just that something so Strat from PRS has that smell of missed opportunity.

Look at what they did for other endorsers: especially the DGT and the Brent Mason models. They kept the PRS body shape and headstock, and worked on interesting pickup combos. Brent Mason didn’t end up with a clone of his Nashville Tele, he ended up with a nice 3-pickup guitar with some unique PRS features (NF3 pickups and trem, and of course the ever-divisive birds!) great switching options and sounds that were usable for his sort of music.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

13. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South

14. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Gibson Victory?

mvx.jpg

15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    But that is the same body as the Silver Sky. The headstock is flipped, but it's the PRS headstock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    davidchagrin likes this.

17. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Is the lower horn different or is the pickguard tricking my eye?

18. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    And for all the complaining about the PRS headstock, isn't that Gibby a thing of beauty?

BuckSatan, t guitar floyd and aerhed like this.

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Maybe there's a millimeter of difference, but not every year of Strat body is identical either.

20. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2009
    Albany, NY
    I'm already over all of this. I'm sure its a well-made guitar, just not my thing. I do enjoy teasing my friend who thinks PRS himself walks on water and invented all things guitar - "hey, Paul really broke some new ground here !!" o_O

fenderese and Steve Holt like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.