Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So, is the 7.25" radius now extinct?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by E5RSY, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:27 PM.

1. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2014
    Southampton uk
    As mostly a rhythm player I find the 7.25 radius by far the most comfortable to play. That said if your guitar is set up properly it won’t choke out either. My bad technique makes me pull chords out of tune on flat fretboards which is why I hardly ever play my es335.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Don't see many in the field like that though, the ones at the store always have flat boards with huge frets.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

True. You have to custom order them, but that is half the fun.

AAT65 likes this.

4. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    The longer that I live the more that I am convinced that flat boards and compound (conical) radius boards are not for me. I don't know why they caught on except to say that guitarists tend to be gullible when it comes to gear. I was for a while.

5. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    I doubt it is internet Kool-Aid that is to blame .. but yeah .. people just don't buy many 7.25" Fenders

Even the G&L have to be special ordered and are not found in the stores

6. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    My '88 strat is at the tech's right now having a MIM 70's Classic 7.25 put on the replace the 9.5 it came with.

Not because of the fretboard radius, because of the size of the neck.

7. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Thank goodness for Japan and their wonderful vintage spec guitars... :lol: Fender's last best hope of me ever buying an MIA has gone forever. :D

Jim603 and moosie like this.

8. Greggorios

Greggorios TDPRI Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Patterson, NY

9. Greggorios

Greggorios TDPRI Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Patterson, NY
    Yes, there are fewer and fewer in the factory production line (non-custom shop). Some of the "classic series" still come in 7.25" (see the 60s Classic from Mexico). You'll still see them on some of the "period correct" Fender custom shop guitars. I think you're probably right about everyone drinking "cool aid" from the net regarding fretting out on bends with the 7.25". I'll let someone else who has more building/set up experience than me clarify but it's my understanding that if the guitar is built properly and more importantly set up properly, that a 7.25" won't necessarily fret out. Cheers.

boredguy6060 and 2 Headed Goat like this.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I think the other one you linked (50s Lacquer) is a 50s style Tele.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Well said, @BorderRadio. I just got one used and have the exact same experience. What a value.

BorderRadio and viccortes285 like this.

12. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    That's the one I meant. The classic 50s, and/or classic 50s lacquer, both made in mexico.
    I was just wondering if there's no more US made 50s style tele. If so, I think that's strange.
    I like 9.5 just fine, maybe even a little better than 7.25, but I'm getting along fine with my classic 50s. I don't have time to experiment with every detail, so if all my favorite tele sounds came from 50s tele, it makes sense to me to just buy the closest thing I can afford to a 50s tele.

13. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2012
    SoCal
    Everything goes in cycles. 15-20 years ago I hardly ever saw traditional 12 fret acoustic guitars (unless they were parlors). Now they are widely popular again. They have their own sound, feel, and vibe. I feel the same way about 7.25.

karpis and Owensv like this.

14. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    DIY is the cure for the most of GASsing!

tigger and bassetman like this.

15. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I just put a Classic 50s lacquer neck on my tele. You can order just the neck. I love it. I'd always been chasing something with that guitar and the 7.25 radius was it.

16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2014
    Wokingham England
    Last year I was going to buy the Road Worn Hot Rod Telecaster, but I tried to play one and the 9.5" radius (and whatever frets they used) just didn't suit me. Instead I bought a secondhand Classic 50s Sunburst to mod with a neck humbucker to make my own...with the 7.25" radius (and 'vintage' frets) that I'm accustomed to after 36 years playing a Strat with those specs.

It doesn't really bother me if they aren't selling any new ones (excluding CS) as it means I'm less likely to want to buy another guitar that I don't really need. I was close to trading my White Blonde 50s Classic Lacquer in for an AV'58 but left it too long and the shop didn't have any left. I never got to try one, so it's probably for the best as I'm happy with the 50s Classic, but thought I'd upgrade instead of buying a second Tele. This way I've got two nice guitars with different sounds, but similar feel.

hellopike likes this.

17. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Why do you insult people who prefer a larger radius than the extreme 7.25 as having "drunk the Kool Aid"? That's not the reason why the vast, vast majority of players and luthiers choose flatter radii. What makes you convinced you know better than we do? Yeesh.

18. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    They're probably talking about people who would naturally prefer 7.25 but were talked out of it.
    Is that you?
    Doesn't sound like it.

19. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    The way I took @E5RSY’s post I agree @jrblue. He just seems mad that Fender adopted a change that he doesn’t like, so he dicided to mildly insult the folks that prefer the change. Whatever. I’ve played 7.25, 9.5 and 12” radii guitars and really, really doesn’t seem that big a deal one way or another. Aren’t Gibson guitars traditionally 12” radius? Could you manage to play one of those if given the chance in addition to your 7.25” fenders? If so what’s the big hang-up about a 9.5 radius?

Or is just a curmudgeony traditionalist angle? “Leo got it right the first time”’ because if that’s the case, I’d say @E5RSY has drank the “Vintage is better than modern” internet koolaid. See what I did there? Used your very words on you to give you something to think about. ;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 8:21 PM
    AAT65, BCblues55 and Ebidis like this.

20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Sigh.

The issue is the loss of CHOICE. There's nothing wrong with either radius, but in today's world, if you like the 7.25, you may as well be a lefty, for the selection offered (sorry lefties).

beagle and bottlenecker like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.