Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So I just did this...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ebidis, May 16, 2018.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    Put my new Gotoh In-Tune compensated saddles on my Baja Tele.

They intonate just fine, although the stock saddles intonated pretty well, these are actually better, and about as close to perfect as I can get with any of my guitars.

No noticeable difference in tone or sustain.

The string grooves hold the strings in place much better than the smooth barrel saddles, and the string spacing is perfect (that was the main reason I got them). Also, as a bonus, the hight adjustment screws do not stick up as far as the stock units, so they are more comfortable.

IMG_1813.JPG IMG_1814.JPG

2. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Very nice indeed

Ebidis likes this.

3. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Looks pretty boss!

Ebidis likes this.

4. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
    I like the deeper grooves on the saddles. They leave no question about where the string is supposed to go, and must make lining everything up that much easier.

blj725 and Ebidis like this.

5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the idea !

6. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I like those. A lot! Nice upgrade.

Ebidis likes this.

7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

I used those on my '52 RI, it really made a difference.

Ebidis likes this.

8. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I guess I haven't spent enough time with teles over the years, but I still don't understand how ANY saddle that only has a fore and aft adjustment that affects two strings at once can really nail intonation. I mean, I know that they can set 'em up so they'll be really damn close and probably more than close enough for me and a lot of other folks. But if one of the pair is dead on and the other-one is slightly off, how do you adjust it to get the second one dead-on without throwing the first one off from what HAD been dead on? I don't have amazing ears and I'm not that clean a player to begin with, so this is more of a theoretical question than anything else, but it just seems to me you have to have six independently adjustable saddles to be able to really completely nail intonation. I get the string guide part of these being an improvement over the stock saddles, but I just don't get the "compensated" part...

But, hey, congratulations anyway! Use them well!

-Ray

Evil Funk and televillian like this.

9. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    The compensated part is that the saddles are grooved in such a way as to "stair step" the strings. It is not as adjustable as 6 individual saddles, but it works. That is, at least 2 different electronic tuners, and my ears tell me that they work. All 6 strings are dead on. ;)

teletimetx and raysachs like this.

10. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    What a simple, elegant solution to what can sometimes, not always, be a problem.

Makes one wonder did we ever really need that ug monkey six saddle aircraft carrier sized "modern" bridge?

Maybe, like when Coke discontinued original Coke in favor of the new improved one they'll see with just a slight adjustment the original bridge, the very essence of the Tele sound, was perfect from the get go. PLUS it fits the esthetics of the original design.

Nuff said.

Gary

Evil Funk and Ebidis like this.

11. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Nice looking setup and the fact that they work well is even better

Ebidis likes this.

12. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Those look nice. I'm sure that I cannot hear differences of 1 or 2 cents and in fact I'm sure that in my normal playing I pull notes out of tune at least that much by accident all the time, as do a whole lot of electric players. So, to those who wonder - this is close enough for normal to mediocre ears as to make no practical difference from having 6 saddles, unless perhaps you used a wound G with them. No fretted instrument can ever intonate perfectly anyhow.

raysachs and Ebidis like this.

13. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Well, I can certainly see how it can make it closer by stair-stepping the strings and, as I said, I never had much trouble getting a tele quite close (definitely close enough for my ear) even without compensated saddles. So, enjoy it! The 50s Baja is my favorite tele ever and I could put both a standard type tele and a strat to good use, I’d probably still have one... That neck is sublime!

14. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ya needs to fiddle slightly with string heights, as well fore and aft string length. This can be done to accomplish good intonation on straight saddles also, but the string heights can usually remain closer to each other with compensated saddles. Of course, this method won't work very well if trying to achieve the lowest possible action that the guitar will allow!

Let's say, for example you get the D string dead nuts on, but the G is a tad sharp. You can either lower the height of the G a little or move the saddle away from the neck to make the G dead on and the D a tad flat and raise the D string height or possibly a combination of the two! Some would say that skewing the string heights causes other playability isuues. I sat that given string height is set to the bottom of the string and they're all different thicknesses any way (and can vary with the chosen string set) this is not really much of an issue unless the height differences are really dramatic.

And FWIW, I've found that with some brands of compensated saddles, the "stair step" offset is too much and actually throws off the intonation in the opposite direction of where it is with straight saddles! o_O For this reason, I prefer to start with straight barrel saddles and make my own compensation by filing my own steps to suit the particular guitar AND fiddle a little with the heights. With my typical string set, the E & B strings are just about perfect with a straight saddle

You Asked,
    Gene

raysachs and Ebidis like this.

15. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    Yes, the neck is pretty fantastic.

raysachs likes this.

16. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA

17. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    I really doubt there would be any difference in sustain or tone between the two. I think the biggest difference is the look, where as the Gotoh units are a straight barrel with compensated grooves, the others are actually offset.

BTW, Stew Mac has the best price I've seen on the Gotohs. I got mine from All Parts, and paid a bit more.

18. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    I built a partscaster with a Gotoh In-Tune bridge. I was trying to get myself to buy a Glendale plate and saddles but that Gotoh works great for less than the price of the Glendale saddles. Regarding price, I got my bridge (and a full guitar worth of Gotoh parts) from AmplifiedParts. With a 10% coupon they run frequently, they were cheaper than anyone else and that included sales tax since they are local to me.

Edit: It appears AP just sells the adjustable saddles not the compensated ones. The compensated are only available with the whole bridge assembly.

Last edited: May 17, 2018

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Never even considered compensated saddles until your pic. Very nice indeed. It probably is a really good upgrade.

Ebidis likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.