Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So I just bought a second AV52. Now what?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mimmo, Mar 12, 2018.

1. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    New York
    Don't know if this floats your boat.. but~~
    Nash-T52-Charlie-Christian-BSB-HBM-453_6.JPG
    How about Charlie Christian a pickup in the neck (+ bridge if you want to go the extra mile)

2. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I recently attampted doing the stealth esquire. Rob at Cavalier pickups was nice enough to wind me an extra hot strat neck pickup as an experiment so he didn't charge much. He had his doubts and sure enough, it just wasn't loud enough to make it worth while. MAYBE if you used a super quiet bridge pickup it night work out ok. Anyway, that was using a specially made pickup and it still didn't work.

mimmo likes this.

3. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Well, at first I would give it some playtime and figure out which 52 is your favourite. That one I’d leave in stock condition.

The other one I would indeed make an esquire out of with a hot pickup in the bridge for different voicing than the standard 52. Should be fun!

*or trade it for a 58 eventually!*

JazzboxBlues and mimmo like this.

4. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    Floyd Rose.:D

mimmo likes this.

5. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    This is exactly what I've been saying after seeing the new AO50s guitars. And I like what they did with the neck/frets/radius on them.

However, I think Fender really nailed the finish on the AV52s. The light blonde "Harper" nitro finish is, to me, so much better looking than the darker orange-ish 'pumpkincaster' treatment.

mimmo likes this.

6. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    Hopefully having two 52 won't be a problem for me! :D

t guitar floyd likes this.

7. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Actually I was thinking of installing a brass six saddles Armadillo bridge, à la Keef, and keep it tuned in open G. That would give it a different flavour indeed.

stop buying stunning guitars for Pete's sake?? Hmmm..well.. :p:p:lol::lol:

RadioFM74 likes this.

8. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    That is a good idea, always enjoyed any p90 I have played, but in my head a 52 w
    Wow! That is nice! I didn't think of a CC pickup, nice suggestion, thanks.

9. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Yeah, Rob is a very nice guy and his fat lion is one of the best pickups I ever played.

10. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I like the idea of putting a Charlie Christian pickup in the neck position of a blackguard Tele, but I've never tried it because I know it involves routing (which I'm afraid I would mess up).

11. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Good point. I already know that my actual 52 will always be my favourite guitar, because of the personal (and sad) circumstances I was in when I bought it.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got eight of these "Inlay" variants of the 2006 AV52. You know, the ones with the FCS No-Caster pickups instead of the Original Vintages.

One has a weird wiring scheme and the other 7 are stock wiring. They all have moments when they're different, and moments when they're the same. I find it very fascinating!

mimmo likes this.

13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Actually, if I wanted to mess with the sounds the P90 and CC options would be the most appealing to me, especially if you're into jazz or swing. Then: .11 or .12 flatwounds. Voilà! Perfect jazzbox (oops: jazzplank). It's amazing how good teles are at these genres (well... even with their stock neck pup).

A P90 would also be great for rock/blues applications. I am not sure, but perhaps someone does drop-in replacements of these for tele neck?

PS: it seems I haven't read carefully the previous posts. Oh, well....

mimmo likes this.

14. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Put a middle pickup in. Then you'll have the Tele feel and control layout that you love, but can get some of the Strat sounds you like out of it, too.

mimmo likes this.

15. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    mimmo likes this.

16. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe TDPRI Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Jersey
    Definitely a hot one :)! He's got the vintage angle covered already, this is his other AV52.

mimmo likes this.

17. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    Burton it. White pickguard, Dakota Red Finish, and mid 60s saddles.

mimmo likes this.

18. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Will take a look, thanks so much!

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Is this like, Specific to the JM style pickups that Mr. Novak makes?

I have a Duncan Antiquity JM pickup in this box, and now I'm imagining I can cut a pickguard and just drop this little guy right onto an existing guitar. If this is so, well, I had no idea. No idea.

Thanks!

mimmo likes this.

20. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    I remember it was your plan for your second 52 Fred, have you done it?
    I would like to see some pics, awesome project!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.