Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So I am not crazy...

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Preacher, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    So one of the first pedals I ever had in the late 90s was this DOD Grunge pedal. I have no idea where I got it or how much I paid for it. It might have been a gift from helping Hocus Pick I load some gear. Who knows I can’t remember Back that far.

Anyway I have always loved this little pedal for adding just a bit of dirt and tweaking the EQ. But it has always been a “cheap embarrassment of a pedal to have on board” kind of thing. I see them continually in pawn shops and CL for like $20.

So then I see this.

Kurt Cobain apparently used this type of pedal as well, I did not know that! So I guess now I can proudly display this one on my board as the Nirvana pedal!!

IMG_1674.JPG

ftbtx and JustABluesGuy like this.
  2. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    does anything ever really have any value until kurt plays it? jk

I am an fx nut. Name a pedal and I've owned or built it. the grunge is decent but not my favorite. That said, I've never understood how dod is so underrated. I can only guestimate that it is the look.

the performer series chorus for instance, there are sad512 versions and mn3007 versions. both 18v. both made in america and built like a tank. I have ab'd them right next to a silver screw and go ahead and call the nurse I think the dod sounds better. once the effect is off... admittedly not pretty - big-ugly-bright-as-hell-buffer.

the mn3005 based dalays are also - amazing. the fx75 flanger is easily the best $25 flanger you will ever own.

someday someone famous is going to ordain them and then I'll be a millionaire... till then I just have a bunch of great sounding cheap pedals!

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Well I have to say I have not played the flanger but my old Ibanez (yes they used to make pedals) flanger sounds stupendous!!

4. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    that is a a cool grit pedal..very good a dirtying up a tone without going overboard

5. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    si... certainly some good ibanez pedals that are cheap. the old master series swell flanger is a good sleeper. have owned a few. mn3205 chip.

6. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I don't understand either, I love my DOD pedals ( Carcosa, Gunslinger, Boneshaker, Grunge). I know Tom, the designer of some of their best pedals, is starting his own company now.
    It should be interesting to see what he comes up with.

mistermikev likes this.
  7. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Never got along with this pedal. Never able to play as loud as this is designed for (?)

8. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2015
    Tacoma
    I'm not trying to start an argument by any means but I just have a tough time believing that Kurt Cobain ever used the Grunge pedal.
    I had owned one for quite a long time and I thought it was terrible....and all my musical buddies at the time had the same opinion. However I REALLY like everything else I've tried from DOD. I did sell my Boneshaker but only because I spent way too much time toying with the parametric eq rather than jamming.

9. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2016
    My only problem with DoD was those clicky foot switches. My first two pedals were DoD (FX65 and FX50b) and they took care of business for many years. The Milk Box is my favorite pedal compressor.

I did have a Thrash Master that I could never get to sound decent. But come on.

10. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    Ya know, you can be crazy and also have a pedal you're not embarrassed by. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.