Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So, HOW hot do you want it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Deeve, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    So, it's not just pups that must be "hot", but peps as well, or Carolina Reapers, if ya wanna get specific.
    Jeez, I like two-three stars at the Thai place as much as the next manly-man, but I'm not planning to go to a hospital for the trophy.
    Darwin award nominee?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...he-super-hot-pepper-that-sent-a-man-to-the-er

Thunderclap headaches are really no joke.

"Folks will describe this as if they felt like something exploded in their head or they got hit in the back of the head," Schwedt says. "So it's really how quickly it becomes very severe that makes it a thunderclap headache."

One can linger for weeks, he says. About 1 in 4 of these headaches is triggered by constricted blood vessels — typically caused by something other than a hot pepper. That situation usually resolves gradually on its own. But sometimes these headaches can be the result of a dangerous event, like a burst or torn blood vessel in the brain.

"When someone has a thunderclap headache, it should be considered an emergency, and it needs to be evaluated urgently," Schwedt says.

The pepper-eater's story had a happy ending. Five weeks later, the New York man returned to the hospital for another scan and the blood vessels in his brain were back to normal.

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I have ordered and use both Scorpion pepper and Reaper sauces. But they are to be used judiciously and I would never continence eating one of the peppers. That, as was seen here, could easily kill you.

3. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I will never understand the people who like eating to be a painful experience. A little heat, I get that, but these people who willingly torture themselves on the way in and out are a mystery to me. I understand that at this level, it's a fad for dummies like Tide Pods, but a lot of people I know insist on super spicy food and accept "paying the price' afterwards.

4. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I love super spicy food, and I can honestly say I have never in my life "paid the price on the way out". It just doesn't affect me that way.

Anode100 likes this.

5. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Rock on then, I just don't get why anyone would eat food that affected them in that way.

6. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    I'm content at the jalapeno level, chipotle or adobe variation is just fine.

There must be something in the human nature that drives them to be tested at high scoville levels. I don't get it. :confused: Its taking it to the limit.

There will always be someone testing how many hot dogs can they eat (72).
    Likely, there are humans that will dare devil the capabilities of air craft and automobiles at speed to test their limits.

Darwin awards are often given to those who test bullet resistant vests.
    "Its resistant, lets test it again."

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Just a little heat, please.
    Pickled jalapeños, Tabasco, medium salsa, stuff like that.
    When I was younger, I was more fearless.
    Now, hot stuff "takes my breath away".
    My stomach can take it, but my respiratory system can't.
    Oh well.

jannodude and william tele like this.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Nostalgia:
    From Late Latin nostalgia, from Ancient Greek νοσταλγία (nostalgía), from νόστος (nóstos, “a return home”) + ἄλγος (álgos, “pain, suffering”).
    --https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nostalgia

Deeve likes this.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I have a SIL that eats very hot stuff against doctor's orders and takes Prilosec afterwards as almost a daily routine. I don't get it.

10. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    Its taken me awhile to appreciate some of the different varieties of habanero, they actually have a distinct flavor and when used in moderation are delicious. I grew a pile of them when I was in NC and after harvest made them into a jamaican hot sauce. I've read a lot about the "reaper" and it seems to satisfy all the qualifications of a poison or toxic substance, possibly a chemical weapon.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

11. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Well, I think I've got it figured out: I like my peps pretty much like my pups -
    slightly under-wound. . .
    But there should be room for those who must have it on "11" at all times.

Peace - Deeve

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    What I can't comprehend is, even if you love spicy food and it doesn't force you to chug a gallon of milk after eating...how in the heck can you even taste anything? My buds are burnt easily on overheated food.

brookdalebill likes this.

13. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    I like spicy, but not HELL. I live not very far north of where these were first bred. I'm not stupidly into torture or anything, but I tried just a little tiny sliver of a 'Reaper' one time and it felt like I had swallowed a caustic chemical or something. That guy is just plain stupid!

cabra velha likes this.

14. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I recall that episode where Homer Simpson hallucinates on a hot chilli and ends up in our world. It scared the s... out of him, he didn't like it till he came across a doughnut store.:)

jannodude likes this.

15. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    Habanero is about as hot as I go, and something about my diet restrictions have drastically changed my spice tolerance from a few years ago.

jannodude likes this.

16. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    Red habaneros are much hotter than orange habaneros. Those are a little too hot but they have a really nice fruity flavor. I grow ghost peppers now and then and I do use them but I wouldn't put much in a dish. One in a pot or skillet is more than enough. I don't see the point of going any hotter. You can't use enough of it to enjoy the flavor that it has to offer. I love the flavor of ghost peppers but by the time you use enough to actually taste it, you're killing everyone eating it. I can take the heat pretty well but it's no fun when my girlfriend(who likes hot food) takes one bite and spends the rest of the meal sucking ice cubes.

jannodude likes this.

17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Miracle Whip is too spicy for me.

18. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    I've been growing super hots hydroponically in a little greenhouse I built for a few years now, mostly habaneros but have given a dozen or so different varieties a go....I make jam out of them which allows the delicious taste of the fruit itself to shine, with the chilli sparkle countered by the sweetness, the best of all worlds. So far I've been doing small batches which family and friends fight over but planning on a commercial kitchen run - gotta make space in the freezer for the next lot!

IMG_9119.jpg

IMG_9118.jpg

Habanero-Gold.jpg

19. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I love spicy food but very small bites of a home grown cayenne split between every few mouthfuls of a full dinner is about the most I can take a straight pepper. I can't fathom eating a Carolina Reaper by itself.

I did try to grow ghost peppers last year (one plant) but deer ate it to a nub as soon as it began to bloom. I'm probably lucky.

jannodude likes this.

20. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    I eat Habanero peppers almost daily. I’ve tried sauces up 500,000 scoville units which is 1/4 of Carolina Reapers but would not go any further. I don’t think my system (insides) would appreciate it. Love the exhilarating heat in my taste buds but not so much between entry and exit..

TimothyC likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.