Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So can a Klon be kloned by a kombination of kommon pedals?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Michael A., Jun 21, 2018.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Yeah. The problem with the Klon for home use to me is that it really is designed to push an amp that is cooking.

Do you like Tube Screamers at home? Many don't, particularly if they are looking for the PEDAL to supply the clipping and sustain. Unlike a TS, the "mid-centric" EQ curve is not "fixed".
    • As soon as you step on a TS, lows and highs are cut and mids are also emphasized heavily, REGARDLESS of how high you set the Drive. It is also very, very compressed.
    • With the Klon's Gain knob set low/off, there is only a very, very gentle mid emphasis, and that emphasis is "broader" (less like a tunnel) than a TS. It is also far less compressed. That is the magic as a live boost. It has a really nice EQ curve and very, very gentle compression that equates to presence and dynamics with no amp flub. The "problem" for some home users is that if you need the pedal to supply the clipping, when you turn up the Gain, the mids get more emphasized and it can get kind of strident/nasal in isolation. It remains far less compressed than a TS and to my ear less nasal/strident. It also retains far more dynamics.
    One final thought. A DOD250 reissue gets close-ish to the "live Klon" thing at home. Closer than a Klon used at home to me. But it is a more raw (less refined) and rougher pedal overall, to me.

In a surprise turn, a bog standard DS-1 with the Tone maybe 9 o'clock and the Drive 9-10 o'clock actually gives more of the open, dynamic and sustainy feel of a "live Klon" to me than most other things I've tried.

dswo, MrGibbly and Michael A. like this.

2. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Cool, thanks! I have an unloved $20 DS-1 here and will start with those settings and then play around with my EQ. Many thanks!

3. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    I've found that pretty much all my gear except for *maybe* delays and reverbs sound their best at "gig volume"...Klon KTR included. However, I play 99.999% of the time at home in my office at fairly low volume. Sounds great but I need quite different settings on the amp and the pedals when playing on my own. It's amazing how different the settings need to be, even staying at low volume, when you add a crowded backing track to the equation. Bottom line: Just like the Tube Screamer, it sounds best loud and in a mix, but that doesn't mean it doesn't sound good at home, alone, at low volume.

4. rob2

rob2 Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2009
    Cork,Ireland

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Kwite!

rob2 likes this.

6. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    I been working on this for a while now..

Trying to use various eq and drive combinations. I get close from time to time.

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Kant get much more kommon or budget than this:

8. pictacado

pictacado Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2013
    Earth
    I was under the impression that the Klon was specifically designed to sound like an overdriven amp at lower levels.

Is that the wrong impression?

9. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA

10. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    Here's my latest combination; working toward that klon sound.
    1531397142656.jpg

Plimsoul (18v) > Parametric EQ> SP compressor

11. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt

This video always surprises me. So far its discouraged me to jump down the klon hole.

12. Murphcaster

Murphcaster TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2014
    West Virginia
    Yes...if we're talking about the original Klon and most other closely resembled klones. A Klon/Klone pedal alone at low volume sounds unlike any overdriven amp I've ever had the experience of hearing. Even though it's technically an overdrive, it seems to function more as a gritty/low gain boost. It really helps push a driven amp up a notch or two but emphasizing the frequencies most noticeable to the human ear...the mids. It really helps cut through a mix so the guitar player can be heard.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.