Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So can a Klon be kloned by a kombination of kommon pedals?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Michael A., Jun 21, 2018.

1. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sorry, forgive the title. But it is a serious question. Budget pedals would be even better. Any responses welcomed.

rob2 likes this.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    You need the special magic epoxy to goop it with or it will just sound like a cheapo Soul Food.

Danjabellza and RetroTeleRod like this.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Kno, kprobably knot.

rob2, Kreepy, Bristlehound and 5 others like this.

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Klearly a kommon klon klone in kapable hands kan be. Knot sure if a Kombo of kommon other pedals kan be. Klever koncept though.

rob2 and RetroTeleRod like this.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Probably...a good EQ with tweak and basic transp od or boost..

6. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Klon klones are about the most kommon pedals out there.

Doctorx33 likes this.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah but nobody is getting what I'm saying about where the true MOJO lies in these talent enhancing pedals of the Gods!

It's the goop!
    The magic epoxy covering the secret circuitry isn't to keep the circuit secret!
    Good heavens they are the most cloned pedals in existence, there is no secret!

Magic Goop!!

And why all the misspelled words in this thread?

So BTW I recently picked up a little nown gooped pedal and it's just the best pedal ever made.

cheapgtrs likes this.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Not that kommon, but there a kouple of kopies out there.

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Oh For krying out loud...

rob2 likes this.

10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Soul food with an EQ pedal is what I've used to approximate just for fun a d to see if I could get close.

I have to say I think the Klon obsession is a rabbit hole. I lost interest quickly.

11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I keep meaning to try Klonic irrigation

4pickupguy likes this.

12. Highway Chile

Highway Chile TDPRI Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I think you Kant, therefore.

13. pwhite

pwhite TDPRI Member

May 3, 2011
    Liberty, SC

14. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Are you trying to find a cheap Klon clone? The Tone City Bad Horsie was the closest I tried.

Or to match the Klon sound and feel with a combination of cheap pedals that are not Klon clones? If so, why, with so many Klones readily available.

16. Michael A.

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    In reading about the Klon and klones, at least one detailed article said it was only really useful at gig volumes, where it presented its sonic magic. However, I'm a bedroom player only and have quite a few light to medium drive pedals already. I thought perhaps someone who has a klone to A-B against had already dialed in a tone that is 90% of the Klon experience at low volume with some combination of more garden-variety pedals and was able to state the settings used. I'd then try that with similar settings on my drive pedals, EQ, boost etc and see what all the love/noise is about.

If I do buy one, pretty much have narrowed down to Bad Horse or the Clone Central klone from China. Just wasn't eager to spring another $45 for a pedal that may end up getting limited use.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    In some respects the MXR Il Torino an provide some of the Klon experience at lower volumes.

I agree with those that say the Klon is at its best into an almost to slightly overdriven amp, in a stage mix, at stage volume. Whether it is magic or not is another thing.

But the Il Torino can capture a little of the feel, presence (the Klon is a "muscular" pedal on stage, in a way that is not needed, and can sound bad, at home) dynamics and "cleanish" sustain that the Klone does, at lower volumes. It has a very flexible 3 band EQ so if you turn the mids all the way up and turn the bass all the way down, you can get a little closer to the actual Klone thing, if you are curious.

It is not the same, and I"m not saying it is the same. But the first time I plugged mine in and tested it at home, it was reminiscent of the Klon experience. Though I do think the full monty only comes live and loud.

I have two really good Klones. I go through phases where I use them on stage and where I don't. When I'm using one on stage, I use the other at home. That is fine because my ear is kinda tuned to like at home what sounds good on stage. But if I turn that filter off in my head, it doesn't sound the great at home, to be honest.

Not sure if that makes any sense. YMMV.

18. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    Michigan
    BoyThats alot of K,s.

19. Michael A.

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA

Thanks, that is a very detailed and helpful response. I think I'll try the EQ settings you've mentioned with some of my own pedals. I'm probably less likely now to pursue the Klone idea at all if it is that mids heavy, as that can sound nasal to me at home volume, but will play around with it. Thanks for the starting point!

johio likes this.

20. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.