Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

So Cal Wild Fire

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fendertx, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:59 AM.

1. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    Wow, these things are scary! After decompressing from the Harvey Flooding, watching this unfold from afar is all too familar. I find myself wrapped up in what's going on out there. Seems the 405 has been shut down and parts of LA are being evacuated.

Just wanted to start a thread and acknowlege the danger there in Southern California/LA.
    Hoping our members in the area are safe

[​IMG]

ladave and uriah1 like this.

2. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2010
    Central Connecticut
    My friends family had to evacuate from their home in Ventura. Hope everyone is safe.

3. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Yeah, gonna have a hot time in the old town tonight.

telemnemonics likes this.

4. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

My sister lives in Ventura. She’s been told to evacuate as of yesterday at noon. The fire has jumped route 30 to Ojai, crossed that canyon to the 101 freeway. This started east in Santa Paula by the Catholic collage. Red flag conditions all along the southern coast with the Santa Ana winds.

5. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Yes, it is pretty awful. I live around 10 miles miles from some of the fires, and the smoke here yesterday was terrible. The whole valley was filled with smoke and ash.

Must be far far worse closer to it.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Oh man I guess you can make fun of yourself, but, damn!

Yeah I hope folks stay safe and have insurance...

Watched some live footage, terrifying to wait and see if it takes your home or turns toward another.

7. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I'm north about 30 miles. The smoke settled in up here yesterday & made for some horrible air quality. I feel for those in that area. The Santa Ana winds are supposed to be getting worse the next couple days.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Look out for them alligator lizards in the air!

4 Cat Slim likes this.

9. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Tomorrow winds will pick up again. This is far from over, sadly. Los Angeles Basin was known by the natives as the Valley of Smoke. Really, this is just normal for the area, but folks building in burn areas makes it tragic.

10. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I was getting ready to drive in to the office today. Then I saw the North 405 was shut down because of a fire in the Sepulveda pass. No office for me. It'd probably take 3 hours to make the drive that takes 30 minutes with no traffic.

I'll never understand why people build houses in areas that millions of years of evolution have designed to purposely burn from time to time.

william tele and telemnemonics like this.

11. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I had some friends stay with us yesterday, but they went back to their home to pack up more stuff once they realized that it was not at imminent risk.
    We live in Carpinteria, north of Ventura, south of Santa Barbara.

My wife is starting to freak out even thought the fire is over ten miles from us as the crow flies and the winds are not projected to push things our way.
    But if the winds were to blow strongly in our direction from the fire then of course it could be on us pretty quickly. However, I don't really see the wind
    blowing strong from that direction towards us. The wind would have to blow straight out of the east or southeast for the closest fires to head our way
    and that's not very likely. Most likely worst case scenario is it could blow strong out of the northeast,
    but the fire would have to travel a long way over lots of terrain to hit us from that direction.

However, it is creating a bit of marital stress because she's freaking out and I'm not adequately concerned, apparently.

I do realize that we should probably have an evacuation plan in place for the future. If a fire were ever to start on the hills directly north of us during
    strong Santa Anas it could very quickly march down the mountain into our little community.

12. fendertx

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    Seems like they are expecting the winds to strengthen today. I read one article that stated Firefighters thought the weekend would see wind condition improve. I hope that happens. Good vibes for SoCal

13. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

White Christmas, but it's ash, not snow. I'm about two miles out of the mandatory evac zone with the fire slowly creeping our way. My firefighter friend is confident that our town will be protected but we have packed up and are ready to go. Not bringing any music gear or other toys: insurance will cover things if it comes to that.

bender66 likes this.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Prayers to everyone in or near the paths of these many fires.

My brother had to drive from Pasadena, via the Angeles Crest (CA 2) up to Shandon, then back any way he could find, yesterday - he'll surely have some stories to tell when this all recedes a bit. My family is peppered all over the place, here and there in these parts of CA but nobody is in direct risk right now; it is just that things change so fast. Most of all, I'm really concerned for a friend down just North of San Diego who is awaiting a lung transplant. Exposure to this smoke, on top of everything else he's been through, is just brutal.

15. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for thinking of us FenderTX.

16. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    Best wishes to everyone in harms way.

17. fendertx

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    It is the least we can do.

People like @boris bubbanov with Katrina, myself with Harvey, it gives you a new perspective when nature dictates the terms in an absolute fashion. All you can do is try to stay out of the way. Watching the fires there and the destructive capability on display, takes me right back to monitoring the rain fall and the radar during Harvey.

Just wishing for the conditions there to improve.

boris bubbanov likes this.

18. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I've spent a lot of time in the Santa Barbara to Ventucky area; still have a bunch of friends there. I almost moved there. For it to burn down to the beach at La Conchita is almost unimaginable. Rincon and Bates Road have been evacuated now if I'm hearing correctly? I knew some guys up the hill there who may have already had damage.

I had some customers nearly lose homes in the Santa Rosa fire, but this event is hitting a little closer to ''home''.

Stay safe and get the h*ll out if needed!

LowThudd likes this.

19. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Jul 4, 2008
    California
    I'm feeling scared today in San Diego . . . the winds, which were not strong the past few days, have picked up a lot, so there is real danger. Half my neighborhood burned down in the big fires here in 2003, thought I had lost my house as well until I could get back into the area. So far I think things are fine here, there was on small brush fire nearby my work, but they got the put out. It's bad enough dealing with all the stuff going on in the world these days without the added fear of your home and belongings all burning.

More anxiety, how wonderful . . . .ugh.

20. That photo in OP is from the fire by the 405, which was pretty insane, but the Thomas Fire(hit Ventura/Ojai) was on another level. 100k acres and 0% containment with 70-90mph winds. I live in Ojai so I have a few pics I'll try to upload from when I was evacuated, it was just walls of flames coming down the mountain. Ojai is a valley surrounded by mountains on all sides and most were burning. I haven't been home yet because there's still a mandatory evacuation but I know quite a few friends who went back to ashes. I managed to get my girlfriend, my cat, and some gear out and skipped town. Seeing pictures of Ojai now is really something else, I grew up there and so much of it burned.

Edit for photos:

70C92AD3-BD68-494F-B512-D3F43342A3A2.jpeg

This was my backyard about an hour before i left. Looks like the other photos are too large to load because they’re panoramas.

My thoughts go out to anyone who is or had family in any of these fires right now, please be safe!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 2:33 PM

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.