Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Snakehead headstock - "dot" on the face, screw hole in the back?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by xardoz, Dec 11, 2014.

1. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2010
    St. Louis, Misery
    Someone please school me on the snakehead headstock. In a lot of photos, there's a dot in the middle of the face, and what appears to be a screw hole in the back. Does anyone know the function or reason behind this? :confused:

Jack Wells posted these photos here previously, and they illustrate my question pretty well:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks!

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'd guess a hole for attaching the neck blank to a template, but really don't know for sure if there is any other reason for it. Those snakehead teles were prototypes, so having a hole there wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Production tele necks had smaller pin router mounting holes on the back side of the peghead and heel if I recall correctly.

You can see the back of the peghead has an extra hole not associated with the tuners around the D and G tuner.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-FENDER...R-/400821331727?pt=Guitar&hash=item5d52d0270f

https://www.google.com/search?q=tel...ebay-auction-1968-tele-neck-fake.html;700;525

3. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2010
    St. Louis, Misery
    That's what I was thinking, too.

4. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    There is also a plug or dot just above 15th fret marker similar to the headstock dot/plug , from my research the plug on the headstock and above 15th marker was for fixture/template alignment , I would guess the hole in center back of headstock was related to this also . Since there was only one made originally we will probably never know for sure , but that kind of just adds to the mystique

5. Caferacer501

Caferacer501 TDPRI Member

Nov 7, 2017
    California
    The two plugged holes were the alignment registration holes for the template. The hole on the back of the headstock was a failed strap button placement... Leo actually tried the button there first.

fenderchamp and 2blue2 like this.

6. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Uhm... that was three years ago.

7. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI

8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    My goodness, who cares if it's an old thread? Caferacer501 actually provided an answer to the original question that had never appeared in the contemporaneous exchange. Now when somebody goes to research that question maybe they'll find the answer.
    Personally I am happy to see it posted and feel it adds to our "database."

Regards,
    Rex

9. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    The OP might still have been waiting for an answer....

Torren61 likes this.

10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    Sweet!! you'd think caferacer501 woke you guys up or something. Nice job!!! Where did you hear the story about the strap button?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.