Smoked pork belly...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DHart, Mar 12, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I must be hard up for guitar discussion. Let's talk smoked pork belly!

Anyway... overnight tonight I'm rub-seasoning a 9 lb pork belly in the fridge. Will be smoking it in the Green Mountain Pellet Grill tomorrow! Very excited, as this will be the first pork belly I've smoked. I've read that the taste of smoked pork belly is like entering "meat heaven".

As for the pellet smoker/grills... I had a dual charcoal/gas grill/smoker for two years and used it only a few times, in two years!

After getting the pellet smoker/grill a couple of months ago, I've used it about twice a WEEK. So easy and convenient to use that makes it get a LOT of use. Pour in some hardwood pellets, push a couple of buttons to set the temp, insert some meat temp probes in the meat, and walk away!

And the freezer is packed with smoked foods for future meals.

This little smoker/grill has totally engaged me in culinary activities, like I've never been before!

[​IMG]

I know we have a bunch of 'smokers' here... have you smoked pork belly?

And... for anyone looking for a pellet smoker/grill... the Green Mountain Grills are very well made, by a very great and customer-focused company, and.... they're not very expensive! Get you one, and I guarantee, you'll be a meat smokin' maniac in a hot hurry.

My wife and I have never eaten so well as we have been lately with smoked salmon, smoked prime rib, smoked baby back ribs, smoked spare ribs, smoked pork loin, smoked chicken thighs, smoked rib eyes, smoked pork shoulder, and smoked turkey breast. We always smoke enough meat to vacuum seal most of the meat to freeze for future meals. Makes preparing meals from the freezer really quick and easy.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ye gods man! Look at the view of your backyard!

That's amazing!

Such a different landscape from my back porch.

CP.

Superrock likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Artslap... here's a wider view of the backyard. Sonoran Desert.
    [​IMG]

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I’m hungry now.

It sounds so delicious. I’ve ever smoked a pork belly but I’m inspired now.

Your back yard is absolutely beautiful.

Nickadermis and DHart like this.
  5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Pork belly is what bacon is cut from, so a 9 lb. pork belly looks like one gigantic slab of bacon! My understanding is that smoked pork belly is one of the most delicious meats you can eat. I'll find out tomorrow (later today, that is, given the current hour - I'm a night owl, like most musicians.) :lol:

Nickadermis, Fearnot and studio1087 like this.
  6. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah. My first thought was "you mean bacon? ".

It might get warm enough to hickory smoke some jerky this week.

20180425_160950.jpg

7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

8. BlueEbenzer

BlueEbenzer TDPRI Member

Pork belly is heaven as it is, I bet it tastes even better smoked!

voodoostation and DHart like this.
  9. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

My father in law bought me a Traeger pellet smoker last year. Very similar to the Green Mountain you have. For ten years prior all my smoking was done on a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. I love the convenience and versatility of the pellet grill but was a little disappointed in the amount of smoke flavor it would give the meat compared to real wood chunks in the Weber.

I read about and bought an Amazen Smoke Tube to kick up the smoke in the pellet grill and it works great. Makes a big difference in the smoke flavor when you want it. I use a nine dollar heat gun that I got from Harbor Freight on sale for firing up the pellets in the smoke tube and it works perfectly.

You can use it in the smoker for cold smoking but haven't tried that yet.

This is the one I got.

BTW- love the backyard view. I live here in the Sonoran Desert but the view is more restricted.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CS6YFIC/?tag=tdpri-20

DHart likes this.
  10. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

The only problem with smoking your own meat, is you’ll likely get good at it and spoil yourself. After that, all other smoked meats, bbq, etc. won’t compare.

My dad took up smoking meats, and since then, nothing compares, even the bbq joints I’ve always fancied just don’t do it for me anymore.

Pork is my favorite meat, so you’ve got my mouth watering

Matt G, voodoostation, DHart and 2 others like this.
  11. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

I'm going to pile on with the compliments on the beautiful backyard! What an inspiration.

I've never personally smoked pork belly, but I recently got a package of it pre-made at Costco and it is wonderful.

Everyone who has a pellet smoker loves them. I'm old school, I like to fuss with the fire and vents, so I still do it the old fashioned way in a Weber Kettle grill. I assume the day will come when I convert, but I'm not there yet.

Enjoy that pork belly!

Wildcard_35, newrider1969 and DHart like this.
  12. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I'm nursing along a 12-year-old Char-Griller offset smoker in my backyard, and while I usually only do ribs and butts, pork belly sounds magnificent.

Soon.

DHart likes this.
  13. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I haven’t smoked a pork belly, but I often smoke a pork shoulder/boston butt for family events like graduation and such.

I have a REC-TEC 6xx series pellet smoker. I love, LOVE it!!! It’s like a lot of other pellet smokers, but it’s bigger for less money with a great “brain,” controller. It’s got a 40 lb hopper, and the controller is like an oven controller. Set it and forget it!!! I had a Weber barrel smoker for years, and it needed constant attention.

DHart likes this.
  14. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Is there a report on how it turned out?

That is a nice western backdrop for doing some smoking and sitting on the back porch.

DHart and Nickadermis like this.
  15. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Did a cold smoked salmon last week, YUMMY!
    Nice backyard

DHart likes this.
  16. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

Never smoked belly without curing first. I reckon it's less salty than bacon, still white/grey meat (not pink). How else does it differ?

DHart likes this.
  17. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Mmmmm... that looks like fun and yummy!
    I did my first pork shoulder just a few weeks ago. I do ribs all the time. I highly recommend Fire and Smoke for a good BBQ read & recipes. I love the Kansas City Rub in that book.

DHart likes this.
  18. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

Pork belly ( not bacon which is cured pork belly) is strangely not popular in America and difficult to find. Normally I have to go to a Korean or Chinese supermarket to find it. Sometimes I find it in American supermarkets but it’s pretty rare

DHart likes this.
  19. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

I guess it depends on the market. Down here I can walk into any Publix and ask the butcher to cut me some, sometimes (rarely) it's even already in the display coolers.

DHart likes this.
  20. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

The Weber smoker (WSM) had a learning curve and a break-in period but once down I could depend on it holding really steady temps for hours without adjustments and when needed very minor vent adjustments were all that was necessary. The WSM produced top notch smoked meats. Clean up is a bit of a chore on the WSM though and find the pellet smoker much better in that regard. The set it and forget it on the Traeger pellet smoker is a nice feature for sure.

WSM past smokes

20150906_130557.jpg IMG_20130919_145849_027.jpg IMG_20130526_121215_012.jpg

fnkmstr, dkmw, MattyK-USA and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.