Small Watt Tube Amp Head

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Broclee89, May 25, 2019.

Suggestions

1. Orange micro dark

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Biyang wangs mini 5

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Bugera t5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Epiphone valve jr

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Joyo

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Something else

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  7. Vht special 6

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  8. Blackstart ht1 mk2

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

Your on the right Track Broclee89 ! , Watch my video all the way through, one trick ??? Hardly !
    and you can give this amp to your kids some day.
    These Special 6 are freaky well built.
    Ever hear of more than one or two with issues ? Nope.

Not that my couple of minutes of messing around on that amp are anything special (((LOL))) !
    But it shows you the range of bite they have and the sweetness of a 6V6 powered amps cleans are.

Granted if you want effects you'll have to invest in some pedals.

I had a friend fry two Super Champ XD's , the internal fusible links fry and at that time there were no replacement power transformers for them, so they were garbage.

The rest of this stuff is built with flimsy pcb boards and also destined for the junk pile.

My 1968 Bandmaster still sounds better than most of the digitized garbage out there and is more reliable than most amps today, why ? Built right from the start !!! The VHT Special series is built with the same ideas and simplicity and that's why they sound better and last longer.

Broclee89 likes this.
  2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

My S6 Ultra combo made an unpleasant smell and stopped working after only 10 weeks. I assumed it was one of the valves, and as they were covered by a 3 month warranty I took it back. The dealer (Dawsons) told me that the valve had gone and that they would need to order one in! They gave me the runaround for five weeks until they finally admitted that the power valve was gone, but it had also burnt out some of the circuitry. The replacement has had regular use over the last seven years with no problems, still on the original valves. The Special 12/20RT has only seen a technician once, that was when I had the 6V6s changed to 6L6s upping the output from 12 to 20 watts. The used S6 Ultra head I've only had a couple of months so it is too early to know, but no reason to believe it will give me any problems. In the end they are hand wired and based on Fender circuitry, so if any repair is requred it should be a simple repair for any competent technician.

3. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Marshall DSL1, or DSL5, depending on how low you want to go.

... I cannot turn my DSL1 combo all the way up in the reduced power setting (supposed to be 0.1W), playing in the apartment.

4. blues bondsman

It was the cheap Chinese 6v6 in my buddy's SC XD's that killed them too.
    I must admit that I don't run unbranded Asian tubes in anything ! the VHT's I've bought had the tubes swapped before I fired them up.
    I pulled parts and tubes from a few dozen donor organs and so I'm loaded with many excellent 6V6GT and 12AX7's

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

$259

I bought mine used for $125.

The all tube one watt Blackstars with Reverb are outstanding!

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

I've wanted one for a minute, they sound good and look really cool, but I normally see them for $300(that's creeping into BB007/AC4 price range)at the low end. They fall into a rare group of amps that look good to non-musicians sitting on your mantel. If I remember right, they're running on a single 6v6 and a preamp tube (12ax7?) So they sound a bit different than all the el84 stuff (in a good way).

Try one, if you can.

7. blues bondsman

My sweet little VHT.
    Into a Cannabis rex 16 ohm cab 20190527_123334.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.