Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Small valve amp for practice

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by david-rf, Aug 22, 2016.

1. david-rf

david-rf TDPRI Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Italy
    Hi there,
    I have a Vox VT20X which I'm not satisfied of mostly because of the crappy headphone output. At the same time I tried the Zoom G1Xon pedal and it both has awesome headphone output and effects.

Since it would make little sense having a modeling amp AND a modeling pedal, I'd like to sell the VT20X and pair the Zoom G1Xon with a small, good valve amp.

It should not be much larger than the VT20X: (W x D x H) 410 x 225 x 347 / 16.14" x 8.86" x 13.66"

Any advice? Thanks a lot.

2. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Epiphone Valve Jr, or a Tweed Princeton clone come to mind.

guitmkr likes this.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Are you saying the amp has to have a headphone out?

4. david-rf

david-rf TDPRI Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Italy
    No, because I can get that from the Zoom pedal.

5. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Tweed Princeton clone, but a Pro jr. is a good option too.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016

6. JonnyFranchi$e

JonnyFranchi$e TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Twin Cities
    Wait - how are you going to use the headphones out of the Zoom while also running it through a tube amp? Or better: Why run it through an amp if you're using the pedal's headphones?

Maybe sometimes headphones and sometimes into the amp? Yeah that makes sense. (Sorry I'm a little slow today - long day at work).

I would say something small that does nothing in terms of modeling or fx. The pro Junior or a little Epi Jr. I have a Blackheart little giant that has a nice clean sound, 3 band EQ and takes pedals well. 5 watt, EL84. That might a good small, bone-dry option for running a multi-fx. Mine's a head version - I think it comes in a combo too.

I'm guessing this is just for home playing by yourself. If you need a good clean platform for effects and you're playing with a drummer, you're going to need more oomph than these can provide.

7. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I've had an Epi VJ almost since they first came out, I use it clean + pedals at low volume, and have never had any ambition to exchange it for anything else. However it has had a lot of mods, in particular a couple of bright switches, as I didn't think it was bright enough. The new ones might be brighter.

8. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Hi you have plenty of options here,
    more than size of the amp, it would be good to know what budget you have in mind for this, there are many options from "cheap" to very steep, you can easely go from 100 to 2000 bucks.

Is this supposed to be a small practice amp or something that you can gig with ? and what genre ?

Epiphone Valve Junior, Fender pro junior, fender champ, fender princeton, marshall 5, vox ac4, blackstar ht-5, fender champ 57, fender EC 57 champ, swart space tone... those are just some that come to mind in a "small" package.
    prices may vary from model/manufacturer :)

If you give us some more clues we can adress you better.

Cheers

9. david-rf

david-rf TDPRI Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Italy
    The price should be around 350-400$ (new or used). For now it would be my only amp and there's a chance I'll have to use it in a small reaharsal room with a band. That's kinda of secondary importance, but it's still a factor. Absolutely no gigging for the time being: I come from a 3 year hiatus, I have epicondylitis and I kinda suck :D Ciao ;)

10. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Urca .. Mica men'ero accorto ! haha ! back to english :p

In that price range you can find a lot of ampsI mentioned before, Valve Junior can be found for 100 bucks here, but i think you can go also on fender things.
    Blackstar HT 5 - vox ac4 are some I've recently seen flying around here .

Good hunting

11. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany

12. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2009
    out yonder!
    The VHT Special 6 Combo would be a perfect match with your Zoom pedal. I know this for a fact because I own and use both.

john kleeman and Johnson johnson like this.

13. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Panama has been putting out some nice inexpensive handwired amps, I'd be tempted by the 5W Conqueror.

Johnson johnson likes this.

14. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    Blackstar HT-5R 1x12 (or 2x10). Also has a headphone out and mp3 in. Very nice amp and well built. Looks classy too if that's an issue.

15. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Love my Blackstar HT5. Headphones on when wife / kids are in, speaker otherwise.

16. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Mar 15, 2009
    virginia
    Like some of the above posts, the Epi VJr is a nice little amp that could be had used for a modest price. I run mine through a Boss ME 20 with good headphone sound.

17. david-rf

david-rf TDPRI Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Italy
    I'm very likely getting a Blackstar HT-5R 1x12 tomorrow. I found it used but "as-new" at a very good price (about 250$), still with some months of warranty left.

fraser likes this.

18. Corethron

Corethron TDPRI Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Nederland
    All tube? Or versitile tube with ss gainstage? Fender champ x2?

Johnson johnson likes this.

19. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Dec 20, 2011
    Australia
    If you can find a Marshall SL5, buy it and cherish it forever.

20. sammy axe

sammy axe TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2016
    san diego ca
    Princeton or Swart AST.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.