Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

small pedal for "grit"... not distortion or overdrive

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Wrong-Note Rod, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Thanks. Thats what I thought with the impedance issue.

2. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Apr 9, 2008
    East, Tx
    I just got an "XP Booster" (EP clone) cheap off E-Bay that would probably fit the bill. It adds a little grit to your clean tone.

3. bonzo898

bonzo898 TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Another vote for the EHX Soul Food. I picked up a gently used one awhile back for cheap (maybe $35 or so) and it's one of my favorite pedals. I use it for the very same purpose OP outlined. It allows punch and mid-boost as well as the perfect touch of natural breakup to the clean tone. It seems to work especially well for single coils (telecaster, soul food, and AC15 sounds KILLER).

4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    I realize I'm coming up late on this one, but there's a metric ton of budget stomps that will do the grit thing with their gains/drives set low, simply because of the 'cool functional crudeness' of their circuit designs.

...IMO, more grit is almost a bit of a no brainer, because it implies a design that's a bit more bass heavy than would otherwise work, and also with probably a dip in the mids.

What I'm about to say may scare you off, but you may want to just chew on it a little bit - I'm thinking a de-gained DS-1 - less droop in the mids, but more flexibility than a sans-tone control pedal like the DOD 250 or MXR D+ will afford you...and it would be 'true grit' with the gain/drive set LOW...seems counterintuitive I know, but IME - could be spot on for what you're trying to target...

...And at low-buck pricing, even if modded, you could still hit your target squarely...

Staypuft1652 likes this.

5. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

May 14, 2013
    greece
    Joyo sweet baby.not an od not a distortion just grit.see some reviews in utube

Strato50 likes this.

6. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Yep Sweet Baby is a good little low gain pedal...I use one at home to drive an old Silvertone....hate to say it...but it blows away all the boutique pedals I have tried in this category. I like it a lot better than the Soul Food...another good one is Greer Ghetto Stomp...Its a little pricey..but sounds like a Valco/Tweed. Good luck there are thousands out there.

7. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2011
    Genoa, Italy
    Colorsound powerboost (or clone)

cousinpaul likes this.

8. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

9. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I found the one knob pedals such as the Amp 50 by Lovepedal does the gritty, transparent, slight mid bump thing very well. It gets grittier and slightly louder and eventually fatter as you turn it up. Turned on with the knob all the way down it is very subtle and probably exactly what you are looking for. It doesn't really start to overdrive until at least halfway up.

Other companies make version of this too. But some can be a bit too hot such as the Xotic EP Booster. Try to stick with the treble booster types.

10. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop - either version. Does exactly that - ads grit, a little tone enhancement, and the sag feature is really cool to play with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.