Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

small pedal for "grit"... not distortion or overdrive

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Wrong-Note Rod, Sep 25, 2017.

1. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Basically you need to look for a neutral boost pedal. You want to increase the input signal from the guitar without adding any other colors. Increasing the overall input signal with give you more of what you currently have. Seek out a signal booster than either doesn't add it's own color, or has the option to take out the color it hads with tone shaping controls.

Why not something simple like an EP booster?

2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I have a few options. On a lot of stuff I use the bridge-middle out of phase sound on a strat and with that I use my old Milkbox compressor. With the Soul Food after the comp, I get a great sound, and the EQ on it seems to really get out over the two other guitars AND the keyboard

(which is yet another issue facing me)

So, I could just use that, and I may.

I put this small Donner Pure Boost on there, it did better than anything else I had so far.

I also ordered the Caline Pure Sky because for 25$ incuding 2 day shipping, you cant beat that with a stick. Eve if it doesnt work all that well, fork it. Its a pretty pedal.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'll figure something out. It doesnt have to be perfect. Like I said.... 6 piece band, who knows if anybody will ever hear it or be able to tell the difference.

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    the 250 almost got me there, a bit much hair, but I coulda gone with it... however the switch has gone bad on mine, so I cant use it anymore. Untrustworthy at a gig.

4. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    congrats on the Caline Pure Sky - sounds like my kind of deal!

My solution to this concept is not any particular pedal, but two "transparent" OD pedals, each with a reasonably functioning gain pot. I fiddle the gain settings on both pedals until I get the right amount of grit. I've used any combo of DOD OD 250 with Way Huge Fat Sandwich or MXR Il Torino (my current) or Butler tube driver (might be a little too gritty).

Let us know how it works out.

edit: ok, I looked at that Caline Pure Sky online and I'm not crazy about the side load for the 9V connection....said the guy with the MXR pedal...

5. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    For me, between the Donner Boost Killer & the Joyo Sweet Baby, the Sweet Baby is grittier. And the Boost Killer is nice to boost low end a little.

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX

7. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2016
    Baltimore
    +1 or the AC booster. I think it's grittier.

thegeezer likes this.

8. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2006
    USA
    You're talking about different amounts of clipping, right? Grit, Overdrive, Distortion... "Grit" really just means less clipping than "overdrive", right?

A clean boost pedal isn't going to give you any more clipping than turning up your amp will give you... unless you're already playing with the amp on 10 (in which case your amp would probably already be clipping)

I would recommend an trying an overdrive pedal that's specifically made for low-gain overdrive. The OCD and OD250 are not specifically made for that. The Durham Sex Drive is a compressor, boost and low-gain overdrive in one. Thats what came to my mind when I read your original post.

9. dalezjc

dalezjc TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Try the Tone City Sweet Cream pedal. I have one and it might be what you're looking for.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    this guy has good time, too bad pop music sucks so bad, it would be better if he were in the bullpen

strymon is the bar

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    I'll 2nd VFE White Horse for this. Ignore the compressor moniker, it's as much a mosfet preamp as it is a comp. Then both those sounds you blend together and then you can mix that with clean blend, having the bass roll out in front of the mosfet and optical circuits means you can keep them as tight as you want then blend that with dry sound.

Dial it in for preamp with optical circuit set about 10:30-11, low, and when think got it set start rolling that optical up a bit you'll be oh crap, clean od, but bass control keeps it tight and direct, it's really like no other drive or comp pedal I own for that edge of clean od. Unfortunately their getting hard to find.

Also look at Bass Sould Food, noticing a trend here, clean blend.

Higher $$$ but Dr Scientist The Elements or The Cleanness both have clean blend feature in a standard size case. Both not bad on used market

12. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Oh God stop it! That's awesome! Dunno if it's the Magnatone or the CS Strat. That sounds killer and I like the pedal too. Wonder how much?

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I love my cheapo Electro Harmonix LPB1.
    Snotty with a bit of treble boost.
    Actually makes a TS9 sound good.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

14. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I'd probably cast my vote for J. Rockett, "Blue Note" that "Hexabuzz" recommended. However, "Beyer-160" made a good suggestion with the Germanium Fuzz Face. The "Hendrix clean tone".
    Good Luck with "True Grit" tone search.

15. Slowisfast

Slowisfast TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Mt. Rainier
    The T-Rex Mudhoney is my favorite sounding pedal. From grit to singing overdrive.

I prefer it for fortifying a clean tone, keeping gain low and diming the level.

16. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I use a tubescreamer that does the gritty type tone. On the TS I usually keep the drive all the way down as well as the level. Then I crank the master volume on the map and may turn down the volume knob on the guitar.

It sounds great but all the knob turning is kinda inconvenient in live settings.

17. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I am looking for something very similar for my Supro. I don't want to change the original tone much if at all, and I don't want heavy drive. I was thinking about two Walrus Audio pedals: Plainsman Dual Stage Clean Boost, and the Messner Transparent Overdrive.

Anyone have experience with either one of those?

I used to have a Sweet Baby, maybe I'll grab one of those again.

EDIT: Got a new Sweet Baby on the way for $23 shipped. Not sure why I sold my other one in the first place. Kind of hard to go wrong at that price.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

18. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Do you run the lpb-1 before or after the ts9?

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    After.
    I think...
    I'll have to look.
    It's fiddly hitting 2 buttons, but the sound is so worth it.
    Best mistake I ever made ;)

Staypuft1652 likes this.

20. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I like the Barber Gain Changer. Low gain setting. Then turn the gain knob up just a bit to where you want it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.