Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

small pedal for "grit"... not distortion or overdrive

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Wrong-Note Rod, Sep 25, 2017.

1. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I was playing all weekend with my ge fuzz face on and my guitar volume rolled back almost to clean. Great sound.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    The 410 has no drive, so there's that.

Even with the DOD 250 drive down, they sound and feel a bit different to me.

The 250 pushes mids just a hair. Which is great. It is also inherently "softer" and "looser" to my ear.

The 410 is very "flat" unless you tweak the very musical EQ knobt. BUt it's just a "gritty boost". Turning the level up more doesn't increase the tiny amount of "grit" added by the pedal. It simply induces more volume/gain in the amp.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

3. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Maybe I missed it - nobody mentioned the Soul Food? That's what it is best at, I figure - but maybe I don't understand the actual tone you're after.

4. stringslinger

stringslinger Tele-Holic

Mar 22, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Right now I have Nobels ODR with gain practically at 0, but spectrum and volume turned up. That's my "always on" pedal at the moment. Probably too clean to be called grit, but you can get it there without going full-on overdrive. In the past it's been Zvex Box of Rock with gain turned mostly down. That was a cool gritty tone too.

I just got a AnalogMan Prince of Tone, and am using that as my mid-level overdrive pedal. Having success with that.

I like the Soul Food suggestion too.

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I have two of them... and that's 'Boost Killer' thankyewverymuch. I use them as an 'always on' pedal and like them a lot. Don't know if that's grit or not.

Don't you have a Mooer Pure Boost? I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff as the Donner inside.

Wrong-Note Rod and RiverDog like this.

6. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I bet the new MXR Booster Mini might do the trick. I really want to try one. Checkit:

The MXR Booster Mini gives you the sonic secret sauce of the Echoplex Preamp with the legendary boosting power of the MXR Micro Amp in a lightweight, space-saving mini housing. The Volume control has up to +25dB on tap while the Tone control rolls off highs. To add a little extra grit to your signal, adjust the internal Echoplex Preamp level control.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m293-7-10137-10133-3.do

7. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2010
    ohio
    i wonder if you could get something like a boss line selector - run your OCD into loop A, a jumper across loop B, adjust loop levels to taste with the A+B parallel mode... LS-2 might give your OCD the functionality of a sparkle drive to dial in a bit of its drive into your clean. Never tried it, don't own one, no idea if it would work.

codamedia likes this.

8. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Dod boost for sure. At noon it's unity gain, so you can actually use it as an "under-drive" if you wanted to. But just a hair over that noon position and it puts just that edge of breakup sound on an otherwise clean amp. At least it does with my setup.

Otherwise the Em-Drive from Emerson custom is the lowest of low gain overdrives. Uber "transparent" super light overdrive.

9. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    For just a touch of grit? An Xotic RC Booster.

Note: works better with slightly scooped amps as opposed to amps that are heavier in the mids.

stringslinger and wannabeatle like this.

10. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2009
    Eagle Mills, NY
    I'll throw the Timmy in for discussion. I use it for just that bit of grit

11. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    Give a listen to a Mid Fi Demo tape fuzz. It has that transistory but warm and controlled grit

12. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    For comparison, here is my common setup...
    Telecaster > Small Pedal Board (everything used sparingly) > SF Vibrolux

To achieve the tone you are describing, I am using a BOSS OD-3 with the Accidental Mod that has been discussed on these forums. My standard tone is just a clean Fender... typical classic country tone, but with the OD-3 on it gives the vibrolux a "tweed" quality. Less sparkle and more grind - but not really overdriven.

Before the accidental mod I could never get the OD-3 to a low enough gain... with it, I run the gain around 9:00 - tone around 11:00 and the output to unity. There is lots of room left for a little more, or a little less gain.

Here is a link to that original mod thread.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/accidental-boss-od-3-mod.566782/

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

13. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Another idea is the Boss SD-2. I think the crunch channel will also do what you're after. It sounds just like my clean tone with a hint of compression and little tighter bass. But add in some extra drive on the drive knob, and it'll get gritty. But still sound clean. I even know where you can find one for sale (wink-wink).

14. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Blues Breaker v1 is great with P-90's. Might work for you. $59 from Chicago Stompworks in a MXR size enclosure. It's got a lot of sizzle and does grit well.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    yep and it can be set up to do exactly what you are describing

16. jj69

jj69 Tele-Meister

Aug 27, 2010
    rhyl
    Strymon Deco
    It might be overkill in terms of price and size but if grit is integral to your sound like mine, this is perfect (on the saturator side) plus you get chorus/flange/ slapback on the other side.
    Check out a guy named Eric Haugen on youtube who also uses the deco for the same purpose .
    Here's a link but he also has anothe vid where he demonstrates his pedalboard

17. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    Maybe a J. Rockett Archer

18. jimmytheshoe

jimmytheshoe TDPRI Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Chicago
    Have you tried a cheap eq pedal? It sounds like you just want to boost what you already like soundwise. Maybe just push the highs/mids a bit and let the amp do the work.

19. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    Sounds like a job for the Red Llama. It's perfect for mostly clean songs that need a bit of bite. And it retains your amp sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.