Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

small pedal for "grit"... not distortion or overdrive

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Wrong-Note Rod, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I've got a couple of songs with this new band where I play very Fender country clean but I'd like to have a sound that has more "grit" to it

I know thats a terrible description, but, lets just say I dont want a straight clean boost, thats not getting it, and I dont want any sort of overdrive thing (that I know of, I've tried several)... even the old Blues Driver pedal, is too smooth sounding. The DOD250 didnt work either.

I dont quite know how to describe it so this isnt helpful. I have no idea what will do this for me.

Perhaps like a tiny bit of drive?? with some small amount of sustain and maybe a slight mid hump or something. Some kind of tiny compressor with a tiny drive in a tiny box? CITY OF TINY LIGHTS!!! hahaha

In artsy fartsy description, the same clean sound but audio sandpaper rubbed on it.

Also it cant be any wider than the Boss size.

Anything come to mind?

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    DOD 410 boost Reissue.

"Clean" boost but the description hints it has a bit of "abrasion" to it, and it does. Helps the clean boost stand out, even at unity, and not be flat/boring. Hard to describe.

Price performer. Has a buffer/TBP option. Really nice pedal.

Danjabellza likes this.

3. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Or a subtle OD with the drive down low?

4. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    tried that already with every single drive/boost pedal I have. Not getting it for various reasons. I dont want to push this sound into overdrive, or, only a tiny bit of overdrive.

5. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    OK, interesting. Whats the difference between this one and the DOD250?

6. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

Mxr zw bezerker od. Contrary to its namesake, its actually a very low gain od if used as a standalone

jbmando likes this.

7. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Have you tried simply backing off on your guitar volume?

Try that with your existing overdrive - you should be able to control exactly how "gritty" your sound is.

8. blille

blille Tele-Holic

EHX LPB-1

gwjensen likes this.

9. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

thats how I always play. Volume down for everything except solo, turn it up all the way for lead.

The only overdrive I'm using (as such) is an OCD and I'm not going to get anything gritty outta that. Its a marshall800 on full roar in a box.

I do have the Soul Food, which I probably could use for this... but it sounds so good on all the time, I'm using it as that. I could get another one I guess but I'm interested in other options.

Mezzamort likes this.

10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    A little outside the box, but maybe you should consider trying a smooth cone speaker. Maybe just borrow one if possible.

Larry F likes this.

11. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    anybody tried the little Donner killer boost?

12. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    What amp are you using? You may be able to just turn the preamp gain up slightly, roll back your guitar volume for less grit, and when you open the volume up, and dig into the string, you get some 'grit' I find tubes often better at this than diode clipping from a pedal, especially because most diodes pedals clip 'hard' compared to tubes. IMO, hard clipping is not good for just a tiny bit of 'grit' it's better for hugely distorted tones, (Yeah, Kinda like a Marshall800 at full roar.)

13. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Glad you said that - I was just about to recommend an OCD. "just a little gritty" was the only sound my OCD (V1.7) ever made that I liked.

14. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I just got a J Rockett Blue Note that I love for very low gain "grit". Maybe check out some of the demos and see if it's what you're looking for.

dr_tom likes this.

15. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I recently added an MXR Il Torino to my board.

It does a very nice low-gain OD.
    Separate controls for Bass, Mid, Treb, Gain, and Level, so it's very tweakable.

I also have a tc electronic MojoMojo that covers similar territory, though it does have more gain on tap than the Il Torino.
    I keep this one as a stand-alone pedal to bring to jams and such when all I want/need is a single dirt pedal between my guitar and amp.

One of those 2 may get you what you're looking for.

Ajtele likes this.

16. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    Fender Deluxe amp with Orange warehouse speaker.

I'm getting a great clean and a great dirt. I dont really need this "grit" sound, I've been fine with the great clean. It would just be an alternative clean that I would use for a couple of songs.

Point is, I dont have to have it, and so anything over 100 bucks is completely out of the question.

These songs were originally recorded with session cats in Nashville and so who knows WTF those guys used. Its even possible they played straight clean and then the engineer added a plug in to them.

The issue with these two songs, its country, but its a very fast tempo and the band plays loud as hell (in part due to the drummer playing faster and louder)... for that reason, therefore, the straight up clean sound has a difficult time getting up and over. I probably could end up just reaching down to the Soul Food and turning the drive or level up for those songs and thats a possibility.

But I'm old, forgettful, and I can almost guarantee I'd forget to turn them back down.

I'm suspect against anything marked "overdrive" because I've got about 10 of them and none are delivering this "sound" (Which may only be available in my head and nowhere else on earth)... even with the gain knobs all turned completely down.

That doesnt mean it wouldnt work... but I'd rather look at something labeled as a boost or a comp.

even tho the Soul Food isnt. Pedals are weird, they often end up serving a different purpose than how they are marketed.

17. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    Way huge saucy box is perfect for grit. The overdrive knob blends a clean boost with an overdrive circuit and nails that extra little oomph. It is top loaded, so it may be wider than boss pedals but takes up the same space when plugged in.

18. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

looks interesting as well, thanks!

19. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2014
    Franklin, VT
    I haven't personally tried this one, but it showed up on my FB feed the other day. I am considering it, as it seems to fill the exact need you describe, and then some...

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

20. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    What guitar are you using? Sinle coil? Sounds like you want a P90 tone?

maxvintage likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.