Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Small Acoustic Archtop

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by richa, Jun 19, 2017.

1. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    From the vids I've watched (that makes it official right?) it seems like the body is often very near completion before cutting the neck joint. I couldn't bear to wait that long. I'm envisioning doing irreparable harm to the body. So I'm doing this while the body is still a mere shadow of it's future self (well...I hope so anyway).

Here goes.

Start with another practice joint in fir. Fir is a pain in the tucus to cut joints on. This came out pretty good so I figure Sepele will be a cake walk. Ah...there's that first chilly wind of over-confidence... harbinger of shame.
    20170806_175145.jpg

Need to flatten the area where the neck will join. Block plane was just the ticket.
    20170806_183506.jpg

Flat area looks flush all the way to the edges of the neck.
    20170806_183448.jpg

Mark the cut lines and use a dovetail saw to partially cut the wall of the dovetail. Used a chisel to remove almost to the depth of what could be cut.
    20170806_190706.jpg

Then use a router plane to remove the rest. Used a chisel to extend slanted wall as material was removed.
    20170806_193048.jpg

Big sigh of relief. Very happy with the result at this point. Ah...but wait for it.
    20170806_195024.jpg

The neck gets the same treatment in reverse. This can all be done with the saw. I used a little block of wood with the required angle to guide the saw blade for making all of these angled cuts. Beveled the interior corners and then for the moment of truth...
    20170806_203945.jpg

Ok this was pretty much expected. I tend to cut conservatively because I'd rather have to remove more material than shim. But it needs to be flush so I carefully shave a teeny bit from each side of neck dovetail. And that goes well until finally one side is just sitting flush and the other side is still a little proud of the block. Grrrr. This is where having all the joint surfaces hidden gets to be a problem. In the end I ended removing more material than necessary from the wrong spot (50/50 chance) instead of only removing a little from the right spot. Sometimes my brain is a very good con man. So instead of a perfectly fitted joint I need to add a shim.
    20170806_204141.jpg

On the bright side the joint is rock solid, sides of the neck are flush to the body, and it seems pretty well aligned. I guess final fit needs to wait until the body is all assembled. Well...no points for elegance but I think it'll do. This joint doesn't come apart easily even without glue.
    20170806_214512.jpg

Guess I better learn...wait for it... *air guitar*. :lol:
    Sometimes I just crack myself up. Or it's just late...
    20170806_214457.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

2. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Great progress! Nice joint!

Not that I have any experience in cutting joints, but I once saw someone draw a number of pencil marks/lines in the dovetail joint, when the tenon was pushed in, the pencil marks would transfer onto the tenon showing where contact was made giving an indicator of which points need shaving down... it could have worked for your situation,not that its very helpful now!

richa and Crafty Fox like this.

3. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Looking good Richa, I'll be following your example shortly.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

I think I've seen pictures of folks using chalk too.

Mat UK likes this.

5. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That looks really good!!

richa likes this.

6. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Nice job on the dovetail.

richa likes this.

7. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks everyone.

These are excellent suggestions made all the more poinent by the fact that I've seen this done too. :oops: The shameful reality is that I was just dead certain I knew what the problem was but didn't let the evidence of the result change my approach until it was too late. Ain't nobody's fault but mine, da da da, nobody's fault but mine...da da ta da da. :rolleyes:

I trust you won't follow it too closely. You do understand I only post to make sure people have plenty of negative examples to avoid. :)

Seriously though this is one of the few times I would consider building a jig to do this with a router (though the jigs I've seen for this are fairly involved so that gives me pause to). But just the fact that the word "router jig" actually passed through my brain is sort of amazing (don't like routers). :)

Cutting the joints by hand is fun but I would have to do alot of these for it to become repeatable. On the other hand I would probably still have to do the final alignment fitting by hand so the problem doesn't entirely go away. I've seen jigs that will supposedly cut the final joint using the actual neck to determine correct alignment. They look complicated.

8. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Really cool work dude, and giving me great insights into how acoustic necks can be made and joined. Thank for sharing. :)

richa likes this.

9. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks! I wanted to try one of the traditional approaches to learn how to do it. But someday I'd like to try a Taylor style bolt on because that really appeals to me as well.

10. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Not much progress this week. Linings were a nice low energy job that was just about my speed. Looks a little rustic - but I believe it will do the job. Will look better once it's leveled I expect.

20170810_140009.jpg 20170810_165440.jpg 20170810_171730.jpg 20170810_171808.jpg

11. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    richa likes this.

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I love your woodworking skills. That's a great start to any build.

richa likes this.

13. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    It's looking good!!

richa likes this.

14. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks everyone.

Running out of reasons not to glue the top and back. Debating on spool clamps. Should probably just bite the bullet and make a bunch.

15. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Tree removal day. Sad. Only had to remove about half of it though. Black Locust...had them leave one hunk behind. Probably bitten off more than I can chew to turn this into planks but it might be interesting - 12" diameter. Good canditate for neck wood maybe.

20170811_125830.jpg

16. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    I have a lot of locust and would like to build a guitar with it. U think it should be fine and pretty

17. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    I have some small pieces from a previous limb removal that I kept for fire wood. They are well seasoned now so I'm going to resaw one soon to see if I can get an idea of how it works.

18. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    I made about 20 odd spool clamps using 3/8" threaded rod, mdf covered one side with thin cork then cut with hole saw. The handles were decorative finials I purchased from a hardware store. I just cut the dowelled ends off the finials, drilled hole in one end and epoxy glued rod in. Easy peazy, and they work great! IMG_3683.jpg

19. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Nice!

20. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Correction: not finials, they were SPINDLES.
    Sorry, too much time in my own headspace working on my current build.o_O

richa likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.