Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Small Acoustic Archtop

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by richa, Jun 19, 2017.

1. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Keep waffling on a few points.

Binding - What color? Leaning toward maple since sides and back are dark and will probably tint the top at least a little.

Tailpiece - I've found some inexpensive trapeze tailpieces that I don't like. And some expensive ones that I do. Whodda thunk. :) Or I could go the whole enchilada and carve a wooden one. I reckon I could use some Jotoba I've got lying around (alternatively I could use a piece of granite for much the same experience). But the trapeze sorta seems to fit the prototype.

Pickup - A neck/finger rest mounted pickup might be sweet. But I might need to tweak the neck design to provide adequate anchoring surfaces. If I like the sound of the finished guitar I'll wish it had a pickup as well. If I don't - I won't care.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I think Maple would look nice and would contrast the Sepele & Fir nicely.

Stewmac has some wooden tailpieces that could work and some nice decorative metal types as well.

Pickup. I just put a Flatpup on my Acoustic Cedar Box CBG guitar that built last summer. It works great with the Acoustic strings and has a great clear tone without any string balance problems.

3. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Good thoughts Zep.

Now that is really fine idea. I'm not looking for a PAF sound outta this thing so that could work very well. I experimented with a homemade flatpup once for a cbg and really liked it tone-wise. In fact it probably responded to body/neck vibration more than most pickups would. Hmmmm...

4. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Finally able to get some time on this again.

A few minutes with a plane to get close to the line. Could have used a bandsaw but it takes me 2 minutes to screw up with a plane what I can screw up in 2 seconds with a bandsaw - so the odds are teeny bit better.
    20170724_185846.jpg

Taped course sandpaper to the top. Used the small blocks to try to keep it vertical. This worked ok. It's all curved surfaces in all directions but even so longer and taller blocks would have worked a bit better. I sanded with short strokes end to end.
    20170724_190856.jpg

This is a bad picture but you can see the bright area. This is a low spot where the brace as not yet made contact with the sandpaper. Sanded until those went away. That also sanded a slight angle that you can see (side-to-side). This makes sense I suppose because the plate has a slope. It's just weird trying to join continuous curves in all directions.
    20170724_191510.jpg

So that got the arch in there pretty good. But then I decided to rub pencil lead on the brace and rub it side-to-side against the top. Concluded that these were actually high spots on the plate not on the brace. So scraped them off. Lather rinse repeat.
    20170724_202344.jpg

Well it seems good enough to make a good glue joint. I don't have a go-bar setup. But I think I can do a caul that will work. Will worry about that next.
    20170724_194215.jpg

Zepfan, Mat UK and awasson like this.

5. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Looking good! I'm following with great interest.

6. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks!

7. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Looking very neat, Rich. Have you considered hide glue for the braces? I've really developed a liking for the stuff. You need to be reasonably well-prepared, but it has a quick grab, pulls the joint together (within reason, of course!) and dries very hard.

8. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks. I have actually been considering hide glue for the neck joint. I wanted to do some experiments first. I had not considered yet for the brace but now you've got me thinking. I haven't really committed to the whole glue pot thing and was planning on trying some titebond hide glue. I've read at least one account saying it released much like the "real thing" in a test so I thought I'd start there. Do you have experience with it (titebond hide)?

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Most instrument type people poo poo the bottled hide glue. My only complaint is the short shelf life of the bottle.

10. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    That's consistent with what I've heard - on both counts :). Thought I'd get the smallest bottle I could and find out for myself. Thanks.

11. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    I'm such a sucker for trying something different and fun (for me anyway). Hide glue on it's way. Decided to go the whole enchilada and get dry stuff. Yeah! 'Course I have to figure out what to do while I'm waiting on that. Probably not an issue - I seem to have a case of con crud that's probably going to keep me out of the garage for a few days.:(

12. Reckless Rat

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Rather than a glue pot, I have been using a very high-tech operation. Equal parts hide glue pearls and water in a small jar (the label on my glue said 4x water to 1x glue, which wouldn't hold anything and is contrary to the wisdom of the internet). Let it soak overnight. The hot water comes out of my tap at just under 60 deg C, so I run some of this and let it heat the jar, then stir occasionally until everything dissolves. Then I use the slow cooker (crock pot) and a thermometer to keep it about 50-55 deg C - if it starts getting hotter, just turn it off for a bit.

I have been doing small quantities of glue at a time, only enough to do the joints I have prepared for. The dry pearls keep pretty well, and once it's been mixed/made liquid you can bung it in the fridge with a lid on a couple of times if needed.

It'll grab pretty quickly, but leave it alone and let it dry thoroughly overnight for maximum strength

13. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    This seems like the way to go. I was sort of envisioning this pot of way too much glue that kept getting reheated and would only work if you were doing tons of gluing. Didn't really want to go there. But turns out no one does tons of gluing and the workflow actually makes quite a bit of sense.

To be frank I'm not sure I'm sold on the benefits of hide over plain titebond for new builds. I've not encountered some of issues that people complain about (slippage and discoloration). But I work quickly with titebond so I don't really see that being a disadvantage with hide glue. I mostly just want to see if I particularly like working with it because if I do that's the only real reason I need as long as it works. I can see the grabbing being a boon in the braces. There's another attribute of hide glue I want to play with as well. In theory you are supposed to be able to get a joint to cleave with a sharp carefully directed blow. I'm curious if this could work with a neck joint if done right. Probably not the right use case but I've got a few practice joints I'm going to try it on.

14. Reckless Rat

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    It also means you won't have a constant smell of dead animal in your workshop. I don't think it's all that bad, but my sense of smell isn't great, so...? o_O

I used hide glue for the clock case I'm making at the moment. You can tell where the joints are, but that's only because the grain does a 90 degree turn!

richa likes this.

15. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I wash out a cat food can and put in x amount of hide glue. Then add the appropriate amount of water. I stir it up. I set the cat food can in a pan of water on the stove, so that the height surrounds the can somewhat but doesn't go and overflow . Then I heat it to temp and check with a candy thermometer stirring constantly. While not doing it everyday, it has always worked. I let the glue harden in the can and chuck it out.

I've used yellow glue on all my acoustic builds. The only place I might consider hide glue in the future is on the bridge of a parlor guitar.

richa likes this.

16. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    This is about what I'm envisioning for the current experiment. :)

17. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    A factor not to be underestimated. Although my workshop is shared by the doggy bed that has developed an oder that the dog apparently thinks is heavenly...

The glue might be an improvement.

Zepfan likes this.

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    If the dog gets up and leaves, then you know it smells bad or he thinks he's going to get blamed.

richa likes this.

19. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    That's funny...I can just imagine that too. Nothing looks so down as a dog that thinks it's in the doghouse.

Zepfan likes this.

20. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Knees stopped wobbling enough for a short session. Cut and thicknessed the sides using the drill press planer. Haven't entirely got the hang of this tool but getting there. It gets the job done but hasn't diminished drum sander gas. :)

20170726_182209.jpg 20170726_182747.jpg

callasabra and Zepfan like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.