Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Small Acoustic Archtop

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by richa, Jun 19, 2017.

1. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    On the inside face I removed quite a lot with this size gouge does leave a lot of ridges to clean up.

20170623_222433.jpg

For that I switched to the thumb planes.
    20170624_075951.jpg

Will use a scraper and sandpaper to go any further I think.
    20170624_091641.jpg

For the outside face I used the gouge to knock down the castles but then switched to the planes. Flat plane for the convex curves and double round for the waist.
    20170624_094604.jpg 20170624_100646.jpg 20170624_103442.jpg 20170624_180025.jpg

Another hazard with small planes - they can be eaten by the shop vac.
    20170624_103138.jpg

Next steps:
    Need to build one of those ginormous caliper thingamabobs. Then scrape scrape scrape and sand sand sand. But first sleep sleep sleep.

2. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Aug 13, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    Very cool! Nice progress, sir.

John

3. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Impressive! That side view of the contoured back tells the story.
    I agree, cross-grain or quartering into it is the way to go for figured stuff. Requires a real sharp tool tho!
    Nice work - I'm watchin this one.

4. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Scrapers. I like scrapers. Scrapers don't entirely like me. Whether I can get a proper burr on one seems to depend on the phase of the moon, trial and error - maybe mostly error. Granted I don't have a proper burnisher. I've just been making due with the side of a center punch. But when it works it works surprisingly well. But since I'm going to spending a lot of quality time with a scraper I decided to make a better burnisher. So I took an old file and rounded one edge of it on the grinder then polished it.

20170625_150059.jpg

Well I don't know if luck the stars were just aligned or if the new burnisher helped but I managed to get some good burr on my scarpers. And away we go.

20170625_170644.jpg

Ah - there's that divot where the drill chuck came from together.
    20170625_170932.jpg

Backing up a bit I meant to clarify something about the drilled contours. The outside set of holes on convex face is beyond the edge of the final plate. It basically just provides a target for the thickness the outside edge should reach by the time it gets to the line shown in the picture.
    20170624_093642.jpg

wayloncash and Mat UK like this.

5. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thank you!

Thanks! I have to admit I'm inordinately fond of that side view myself.

6. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I have wanted to do the same size of archtop myself. Too many projects on the go as it is right now.

cnlbb likes this.

7. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    It's a dilemma. I like to work one project start to finish - mostly. But there are so many more calling my name. It's tempting to have a few in rotation... but... must... stay... focused. :)

8. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    In my current thread I have a stack of about a half dozen acoustic bodies that I managed to do the binding on. I am going to concentrate on two or three of them while watching with envy on your progress.

richa likes this.

9. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Great work with the carving!

10. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks! I'm down to target thickness overall and starting to have to worry about thinning too much. The danger of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory grows. :)

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I Say, I Say Boy, You like to take the LONG way around the park.:D Lots of work there by hand, bet they hurt. Good job.

12. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks Zep! I've thought something similar a time or two. I just keep telling myself it's all about the journey not the destination. But I don't believe myself. :D

And yes my hands hurt...but mostly from the number of times my fingers contacted all that scalloped waste material from drilling. Those corners were sharp. Tell you what though a scraper can get dang hot when you get going.

13. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    This is about as far as I'm going to take the back plate for now. Time to move on to the front. You will notice a few notches on the rim and you might be tempted to think that I screwed up. These are in fact a feature. They are called the "you have no choice but to do a binding on this one" feature. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

20170626_211842.jpg 20170626_211907.jpg

14. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    That's gorgeous! What a process getting it here, though! I have exactly the same vibe going on with scrapers. Some days I can drop em in a drawer with a burnished and they come out with an unbelievable edge, other times no matter how I fight and fuss, I just can't seem to force them into any kind of cooperation.

15. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks Rick. Just call me the human CNC. Only slower. And less accurate. :)

I've seen videos where they go at the scraper with 20-30 passes of the burnisher. One thing I tried this time was after filing the edge flat I tried taking 10 or so careful passes with the burnisher. I was surprised how quickly the burr developed.

Zepfan likes this.

16. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Same song different wood. Tried to think ahead a bit more about where to drill this time - hence the broken/staggered contours around the waist.

20170627_194236.jpg

The top is a somewhat shallower arch and the fir is just generally easier to drill. Will need to be mindful when I start in with the planes.
    20170627_202708.jpg

17. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Fir is in some ways easier and in some ways harder than the sepele to plane. Once you get a good direction going it's easier. But it's more fussy about getting the direction right or you get more tear out. Anyway I'm planing a little closer to target depth to reduce the amount of scrapering.

20170630_221131.jpg

Attached Files:

wayloncash, Mat UK and Zepfan like this.

18. betocool

betocool TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2016
    South of Perth, WA
    I'm impressed by your skill and patience! I still have a long way to go before I even think of attempting a carved top, let alone a carved top and bottom and inside and out.

Cheers,

Albert

richa likes this.

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    This is looking great!

richa likes this.

20. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks! One thing I will say is that I alluded earlier to reducing it to a paint by numbers sort of approach. There is alot less mystery in this than might appear. It is a bit of a slog but it's a pleasant sort of slog. My verdict so far (mind it's early to be calling this a success) is that if you've carved a few necks and are moderately comfortable with hand tools (planes, chisels, scraper) this stage should really hold no fear. Now...tuning the plates... that's going to be hilarious. :)

Thanks Jup! Glad to see you bounced back from surgery. I guess you're getting enough flak about slacking off... er I mean taking a much needed breather from the DPP build... that I won't hassle you about that. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.