Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Small Acoustic Archtop

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by richa, Jun 19, 2017.

1. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Wow, that looks great!!

2. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks. I appreciate it that.

3. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    I was going to take a break from the build today. But after a nice nap I felt like puttering a bit so I started shaping the bridge. Going to do a non-adjustable bridge with a bone cap. I want to optimize for acoustic performance at least to begin with so I want it relatively light. Might change my mind later on and do an adjustable. This will have quite a bit of material removed before it's done.

20170917_190349.jpg

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    That bridge is going to look great. Should sound really great too.

richa likes this.

5. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Your life sounds far too leisurely... I'm jealous

El Famoso and richa like this.

6. imploration

imploration Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Looking fantastic! All around beautiful job!!!

richa likes this.

7. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Here's hoping! :)

Thanks!

Hah! That's debatable. But I'm pretty old school about getting rest in one form or another on Sunday's. :)

Mat UK likes this.

8. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    what's the final finish gonna be ? tellmeitssunburst :p

9. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Well...I am thinking burst. Somehow the genre seems to demand at least a nod in that direction. What exact kind will probably be dictated more by what I stumble into rather than what I set out for. :D

But if I could wave a wand it would be a darkish honey burst I think.

Zepfan likes this.

10. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Oi. So I'm playing around with the tailpiece (trapezoid) and one of the little hex acorn nut type thingies that hold the cross piece goes for a wander never to be found.

Sourcing little bits and bobs like this is an area I seem to struggle with. Yeah you betcha. 5-40? acorn nut nickel plated. Google that sucker. Uh huh.

Anyone have a favorite source for stuff like this?

11. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    The way I lose stuff, 3000pcs is just being prudent.

13. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    LOL. When you put it like that...

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I know I wouldn't feel safe with only a dozen. :oops:

15. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Radius'd the saddle glued it to the bridge. Then put the bridge through a weight reduction workout.

20170918_172428.jpg

Did a rough compensation and left myself a little bit of room for final compensation. This is a sort of cobbled together string set so no point getting too precious about it at this point. Was able to do a bit more weight reduction based on this. Won't do final shaping until a have a real set of strings. Will need to shim the bass foot a bit. Forgot I need more clearance on that side and the action got a bit low.

20170919_201132.jpg

Temporary string spacer

20170918_214515.jpg

Speaking of strings these are 12 to 53. Thinking about going with 13's. Apparently archtops like 'em heavy. I think 12's would be typical on an archtop this size though.

First impressions - well it sounds like a small body guitar so I guess that's a good thing. :cool:

16. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Ridiculously good. There's nothing like stringing a guitar up for the first time!

richa likes this.

17. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I have a hundred kitchen unit handles somewhere. If only I had bought three thousand I probably would not have misplaced them. I liked them when I ordered them, cannot remember what they looked like. Sixteen years on the missus wants to change the kitchen.

richa likes this.

18. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    It's funny how the economics of scale work out. But I factor storage into cost. And while it's true that a 7 lb box will be easier to find that is not going to happen. I'll just have to hope my wife doesn't need these for a kitchen remodel. :)

In the end I settled for a mere 75 on fleabay. Same price as 3000 zinc coated but they're nickel plated and come in an easily lost...er stored box so that's a feature. This should give me enough extra so that even if my fingers get as slippery as Jup's I'll be ok. Sweet!

Thanks! It may take me a few days to get those strings back off. They're stuck on there pretty tight at the moment. :)

Definitely a midrangy slightly jangly sounding guitar if you get going on it. I like that alot. Very sweet sounding for finger picking. Doesn't quite have the bass to do justice on that bass drone thing but wasn't expecting it to. Nevertheless... I'm liking this one enough that rather than making another the same size to "get it right" the next one will be bigger. Thinking when I get around to that one I may actually buy a billet of something nice for the top. But I'm getting ahead of myself here.

19. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

There's also the ADF to factor in to an acoustic guitar's tone. Abdominal Dampening Factor that is. Going easy on the beer can reduce this factor and improve your tone. I don't know if this applies here but it does to me.
    Rob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.