Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Small Acoustic Archtop

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by richa, Jun 19, 2017.

1. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks. I imagine in about six months I will even manage to delude myself into thinking it's a good idea for another build. :)

Zepfan and awasson like this.

2. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    First coat of shellac on neck. First few get brushed on and mostly sanded off. Then start in on a more or less french polish approach.

20170911_211158.jpg
    20170911_211206.jpg

And for better or worse...I got it this out of my system.
    20170911_211359.jpg

sergiomajluf, El Tele Lobo and brogh like this.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    suPERior!

richa likes this.

4. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks Jup!

5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I can SO relate to that lol

richa likes this.

6. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Hah! :)

7. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    I want to hire you !! :)

this guitar is coming out so great !!

richa, El Tele Lobo and Zepfan like this.

8. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    6 Months?!? I'm already planning my next Thinline. :cool:

9. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks! But I can't afford to build guitars for money. :lol:

Well...I was really only referring to using Jatoba. :)

I'm actually dying to build another cbg after this build. :rolleyes:

Zepfan likes this.

10. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    it depedends on how much I'll be willing to pay you right ?

11. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Touche'. But then it would be WORK and not a hobby :eek:. Strictly hobbyist for me. :)

12. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I love the look at that neck... I keep coming back and looking at the photos of it. For the face headstock, I think I'd make the whole face ebony and then inlay something cool or have it look like the back of the headstock. The back looks so nice! I mean really nice!

richa likes this.

13. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks! I contemplated all black on the face but didn't want to hide the figure. But...

Going to switching gears and focus on the body again. Once I'm done with the binding I'll put it together and make some final decisons about finishing.

awasson likes this.

14. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Set the neck to the side for a while and back to binding. I hemmed. And I hawed. And I hee hawed. And I mocked up a number of variations of cream, black, and white. The cream and white wasn't as understated as I thought it would be. When they say white they mean really white. I almost went straight cream thinking I could probably get the seams to work. But the winner is...

20170914_211256.jpg

It really pretty much had to be given the other things going on with this build I suppose.

Those shavings are courtesy of my block plane set up like a sort of reverse shooting board. The plane is clamped into the vise and I just used a bit of scrap to keep the binding against the plane. I stumbled into this as I was trying to decide if I could just leave the binding full width and then trim it down to height after the fact - so I just did a little experiment to see if planing it would work (which it did). But then it occurred to me that I could just use the plane to trim it before gluing. It worked really well for the edges. Once I had the edges trimmed, it seemed like I could get away with leaving the faces alone.

20170914_203744.jpg

Crafty Fox, lbridenstine and Mat UK like this.

15. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Even doing one strip at a time it felt like I needed four hands and like it was going to be a disaster. But it got easier as I went. Was able to use the failed wood binding pieces for cauls though. :)

20170915_205427.jpg

Top with all the binding taped on. The thinner strips were ok with just tape but outer thick strip wanted some help through the waist.

20170916_094518.jpg

I think the thinner strips will scrape to a clean join but that outside one is going to need some paste. One small gap from a boo boo on the channel but that should fill with sawdust and glue fine.

20170916_073135.jpg
    20170916_073309.jpg

It looks like it should scrape pretty clean. I hope. :)

Zepfan, El Tele Lobo and Mat UK like this.

16. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Looking great - I'm paying a great deal of attention to your binding escapades... hopefully i'll have a crack at it in the near future

richa likes this.

17. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks Mat. I hope you have "at least" as much fun as I am. :rolleyes:

Mat UK likes this.

18. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Tapes off - in all it's sploogy glory.
    20170916_141605.jpg

Scrape scrape... scrape scrape scrape. There is just a little bit of a scoop to it in the inside curves - cause it just worked out that way. I'm trying to remove as little material as possible from the out edge (both on top and side) so that the width and height of the binding visually don't vary. I *mostly* succeeded. :oops:
    20170916_144304.jpg

Here's the scraped back. And now I can see quite clearly that the curve of the side on the lower bout (in the left of the picture) is not quite smooth. This isn't the binding. It's actually the side. Oh well.
    20170916_151240.jpg

And here's the scraped top. Planning to darken the top a bit (and it will naturally from the shellac in any case). So I don't expect the binding to disappear into it like it does now. Though I kinda like the effect.
    20170916_160824.jpg

20170916_160831.jpg

Didn't quite get a clean cut where the binding terminates against the neck - so trimmed it back and put a terminating piece there. Not great in the photo - but it looks quite nice from two feet away in person. ;)
    20170916_225343.jpg

I'm calling the binding per se done - unless I have repairs to do. Next up - sand sand... sand sand sand...

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    There ya go! That came out just FINE!

20. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks Jup. Guess I'm going to have to start thinking about doing a build with full binding...:eek:

Realized something else last night as well. There's one thing I was going to do before finishing. I need to make a bridge and string it up. If I want to make any changes to the top this is the time. Mind you I have no idea what if anything I could do beyond minor thinning. But we'll just pretend...because stringing it up...yeah baby! This will be a test of that dovetail - won't glue it yet but in theory that will be fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.