Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Small Acoustic Archtop

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by richa, Jun 19, 2017.

1. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks Jup that's a brainwave. It keeps the look I was hoping for but still provides the necessary relief.

Thanks, this is a great idea! My wood vice wouldn't work because the jaws tend to spread at the top. A different vice is on my shortlist. But I've also got a metal vice that would be just perfect for this.

2. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    hey richa

i just want to say WOW !!!!

i didn't look into this thread for some time you made a spectacular work, just can't wait to see it finished, i love the f holes design and the wood colors you got here.

Awesome !

richa likes this.

3. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Hey thanks! Appreciate that. The f-holes are straight off an the old 30's Epiphone Olympic. I have to say I've been enjoying them myself. The suggestion of a curve that isn't really there just works for me.

callasabra likes this.

4. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Worked on fitting the neck extension with the top. And worked. And worked. There are a lot of places on a guitar where 3/32 wouldn't make much difference. The actual vs. expected thickness of the neck extension isn't one where I expect to be that far out of plan. It all came together finally. There's not as much meat to the extension as I would have liked, or as there should have been. For one thing I'd like to have the option of a neck mounted pickup. Something is wrong and I don't know what. It will probably become apparent when there is no possibility dealing with it.

20170903_204622.jpg

Mat UK likes this.

5. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    How close does your top carve match your drawings? How does your neck angle look in relation to the height of your bridge? Could the neck be set too low? Once again with relation to the height of the bridge. I know these sound obvious but it's what I would check first if it were my project.
    Cheers,
    Woody

richa likes this.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    A shallow draft pickup like Dogear P90, Flatpup or a D'Armond style that attaches to the end of the fretboard would be good choices and you wouldn't have to worry about the neck tenon.
    The neck and top space your talking about would probably bother you more than anybody else. The finish/color you choose will definitely make some things show more. What was your finish ideas?

richa likes this.

7. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Well, I would rather be lucky than good any day. And today might have been one of those days.

Nothing is too obvious for me to screw up. :) And of the options you listed the winner is... the neck is set too low.

I looked at my plans. I looked at the neck joint. I measured the neck joint. I went back and looked at build photos. The joint was correct when I cut it. But when I did the final fit and alignment of the dovetail after gluing the top and cutting the binding channel I referenced the top of the dovetail to the bottom of the binding channel instead of the top of neck block like it was originally...

I don't remember thinking to myself that this is the way it should be. I don't really remember doing it that way at all in particular. Which means the root cause was just not thinking very hard at all. That or aliens. I'm inclined to go with aliens. But... I also think I got lucky.

I did a mock setup trying to get the string set about the right height above the fretboard accounting for frets and all. With action that would be right on the deck or probably even too low I ended up with this. Measuring this gives me a saddle height of 15/16". I'm assuming that I'm getting some happy cancellation of errors here. Might be my neck angle is just a tad high. Strictly speaking this could still cause problems if I bought the wrong pre-made bridge. Some of them won't go this low, some will. There's at least one I like that will if I go that route. But currently I'm planning to have a go at making my own adjustable bridge so I've got some discretion. The break angle seems to be ok too - shorter body than most archtops so that helps.

20170904_141453.jpg

Some kind of neck mount or pickguard mount is what I had in mind - I believe it's still feasible if I decide I want a pickup on there. I'd forgotten about the Flatpup - I'd have to come up with some kind of cover and my own mounting bracket but that could be kinda cool.

I think you're right that it bothers me more than anyone else. Mostly because I don't like getting abducted by aliens and finding out that I've done things I don't remember doing. :) After deciding it was going to be ok I did a little more fit and finish and here is where it ended up. The design thickness of the extension was probably a little overkill so that helped.

20170904_151452.jpg

Finish options are still open. The default was that I was going to darken the top at least some (maybe even a burst) and darken the neck quite alot. That said the lighter tones of it's current state give me some pause...dunno...

20170904_151557.jpg

Crafty Fox, awasson and Zepfan like this.

8. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Cut some ears/wings... earwings? Anyway, cut some out of some figured Sepele.
    20170905_120308.jpg

Shaped using a drill press sanding drum. Probably need to do a few tweaks yet after I look at it with fresh eyes.
    20170905_170033.jpg

Drilled tuner holes. A few chips to repair caused by willful negligence. I haven't done this type of tuning machine before (3 on a plate) so wanted to test fit. It didn't have anything to do with wanting to see what it looked like. :)
    20170905_173657.jpg

Thinking about a few options to deal with the scarf joint seam.
    • Could do an inlay (like maybe a diamond or something simple) that would disguise the join. That might look most natural if I just want to go with more natural wood tones.
    • I ruled out doing a veneer early because I like the lines of the taper with the wings on and want to preserve that.
    • Thinking hard about getting it grain-filled and smooth then masking the wings and dying the center black.
    It all sort of depends on all the other pieces and coming up with something that looks coordinated. Don't need to decide quite yet but getting to the point soon.

awasson likes this.

9. rainbowbear998

rainbowbear998 Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    This is looking really good! I'd just go with a gloss natural finish, maybe with a tiny bit of yellow tint to go for that vintage blonde look. Also, I'd love to hear some recordings of what this sounds like when you finish it all - I've been looking at getting a small body archtop like this one for a while now.

10. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks! Finish-wise that's definitively one of the options on the table and getting more attractive as I go.

I usually try to get some kind of recording up. Either me fumbling around or a friend who can actually run it through it's paces. The big test in my mind will be whether it can manage not to sound boxy. That seems like it could be the easy ditch to fall into with these.

11. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Started the neck carve. One of these times I'm going to try to collect all the wood for the guitar ahead of time and take a picture of it. Then keep all the scrap, sawdust and shavings and take a picture of that along with the finished guitar.

20170906_181839.jpg 20170906_184153.jpg

Crafty Fox, El Tele Lobo and Zepfan like this.

12. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington

13. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    Great job man!

richa likes this.

14. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Looking good richa!!!

richa likes this.

15. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thank you!

16. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Neck and fretboard looks fantastic.

richa likes this.

18. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks Zep!

19. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Grain-filled the neck with black ColorTone. Oh boy - forgot how much this stuff gives me a headache. Didn't quite do what I expected in some ways...but I think it will finish nicely. I'm going to use this stuff on a CBG build - would have a very antique-ifying effect if you're a little careless about sanding. 20170910_182940.jpg 20170910_193229.jpg

Leveled and dressed the frets. Splashed a little feed n' wax on. Pretty much ready to start finishing the rest of the neck.
    20170910_174401.jpg

El Tele Lobo and Mat UK like this.

20. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That fretboard looks fantastic. It might have been a pain to work with but the results seem to be worth the effort.

El Tele Lobo and richa like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.