Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Slide... Glass or Metal?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by paulsoud, Sep 14, 2010.

1. paulsoud

paulsoud Tele-Meister

Aug 3, 2010
    Davidson, NC
    I tend to prefer a metal slide on acoustic. Gives it that rough, blues sound. What about the rest of y'all? Glass or brass? Pinky or ring finger?

2. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2006
    Hillsboro, OR
    Best slide I've found is a piece of copper plumbing pipe - has a nice drag on the strings, and gives you that nasty growl on both acoustic and electric. May turn your finger green though...

Oh yeah - ring finger.

3. stevesz

stevesz Tele-Holic

Nov 15, 2009
    Sterling Heights, MI
    I've always liked the lowell george/sears socket wrench approach, really nice tone. Pyrex is really nice too though. I think the biggest issue is finding the right size that you can control properly.

4. Porchduck

Porchduck Tele-Meister

Feb 12, 2010
    Villa, FL
    [Similar thread also running]

Chrome steel. (That Joe Perry ceramic is OK. Kinda liked it til it broke) For some reason, I don't get as much sound out of glass. Don't know why. Ceramic and glass should sound same, but for me they don't.

Pinky all the way ala Johnny Winter - I can play lead and also chord while wearing slide. Have lately started to fret single notes behind slide in (a very feeble) attempt to mimic Kirk Lorange. (One of the cleanest players I've ever heard.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN5M7YoEMm4

5. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2006
    Hillsboro, OR
    Yeah, proper control is the key issue with slide. I tried the socket wrench thing too, but the weight of the thing made it unwieldy. Tone was nice but I kept fretting out. Of course, the action on my #1 isn't set any higher than normal, and I'm not willing to sacrifice a guitar to keep one set up high for slide.

6. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Sackville
    I like glass, but I've dropped three in the last four months. On to brass for me!

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    yeah, ceramic/porcelain is another nice option.

8. soultosoul13

soultosoul13 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2008
    Des Moines, IA
    i agree. i prefer steel, its even a little meaner to my ears than brass and with more volume. but brass is ok too. glass always sounded to "friendly" to me.
    oh, and ring finger...

9. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2010
    Edenfield, UK
    I play resonator, acoustic and electric slide and my preference is steel for the resonator, brass for the acoustic and glass for the electric. When playing a purely acoustic gig I take either the steel or brass (whichever's closer when I leave) and for electric/acoustic gigs I take the brass (happy medium).
    I tried the ceramic style but they feel too light for me.

10. flapjack

flapjack Tele-Meister

Aug 31, 2005
    I play slide on my steel, single cone resonator. I use a steel slide on my ring finger. I sometimes use a glass or copper one just to tinker, but have always used the steel for gigs. The glass one is my least favorite as it seems to produce a less well-defined, textured sound to me than the metal ones.

11. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

For slide I got a 1931/32 National Duolian, mid-1930s Kay Kraft (a wicked slide guitar) and a 1950s Oahu Tonemaster lap steel with the Supro Strings Through Pickup.

I prefer glass - the neck off of a bottle of Fighting **** Kentucky Bourbon on my pinky so, as someone else noted, it leaves my other fingers free for chords.

On the lap steel I put a bottleneck on my first finger and a Will Ray Stealth on my ring finger and sometime a just a bar.

12. Horsefighter

Horsefighter Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2010
    California
    I usually tend to use glass. I like it on the thinner side for electric (Coricidin bottle) and thicker for acoustic (bottleneck) - to bring out more volume/fullness.

Other materials all have their benefits; the musical texture created by rougher brass/chrome is fine I just prefer the clean, "glassy" (purposeful use) tone created by.. glass. I suppose I like the transparency. Also I'm heavily influenced by Duane Allman, who used glass for electric; don't know what he did for acoustic, like in "Mean Old World", it could've been chrome, I'd have to listen again.

13. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    The blue one is from Diamond Bottlenecks. The clear one is a Dunlop. Both fit perfectly on my little finger. I use these on my Dobro and wooden acoustics; sometimes use a brass or chromed steel Dunlop on the National, when i'm in full-on trashcan mode...........

Attached Files:

14. zombywoof

I never understood buying glass or metal slides when they are so simple to make. I feel like I am surrounded by Yankees.

15. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2010
    Edenfield, UK
    I have made my own in the past, I still have my favourite bottleneck from nearly 20 years ago (which is now cracked and on its last legs :(). I tried to make some new ones but got nowhere, the glass would always break or it wouldn't feel right. I got fed up trying in the end and got Diamond to make me one to the same spec as my old favourite (I get paid more than I did 20 years ago, prerhaps it was too easy to buy one and I should have kept trying).

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Speak for me, SackvilleDan regarding type of slide.
    I prefer to wear it on the "wedding ring" finger.

17. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Sep 10, 2009
    Texas
    I prefer glass, but don't play a whole lot of slide.

18. dkbemb10

dkbemb10 Tele-Meister

Jul 21, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Brass on acoustic

Glass on Electric

19. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    I'm more of a Brummie than a Yankee............

I've used sockets, cut lengths of aluminium, copper and steel, broken the necks off dozens of bottles and played using complete beer bottles and glasses........

If I didn't prefer the feel, weight, fit and tone of the Diamond and the Dunlop, i wouldn't have paid money for them.

20. zombywoof

OK, here is how I was taught to make a bottleneck slide any years ago.

Get an approrpriate bottle - nice and thick, with a diameter big enough for your finger to slip into and with as few seams as possible.

Gather together a shoelace or heavy string, some kerosene/gasoline, a bucket of ice water, and a match.

Soak the shoelace in kerosene and tie it around the neck of the bottle. Light it. Let it burn a bit and then douse the bottle in the bucket of ice water. You will hear the snap, crackle and pop of the neck breaking. If done right you will get a nice clean break.

The neck should pop right off and just sand down the edge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.