Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sleeping on a plane—does anything work?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by maxvintage, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Flying frequently was the ony way I learned to relax enough to do so. Sorry.

maxvintage likes this.

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I fly probably 100K miles a year. Most flights are short, never more than three hours. But I have only slept once on a flight the last ten years.
    I flew to Hawaii last year, not even a nap on either flight and one flight left HI in the afternoon and landed in Dallas in the early morning.

Only flight in the last ten years I slept on was a flight that originated in San Fran.
    We had a conference, late nights with early mornings. So on the day I was flying out we hit the links at 6AM (after a late night of socializing) and played a round with clients. Got to the airport for a 3PM flight and headed back East. I remember boarding, I remember taking off. I remember putting the seat back and then I remember landing.

The guy next to me told me I was sawing logs the entire flight, loudly.

Have never slept again.

3. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Agreed- that's why I was on the 6a flight. Lake Las Vegas was pretty 20 years ago though, dunno what it looks like now.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    6'4" back with the cattle? Overseas?! Uhh, yeah, probably should have a wheelchair waiting at your destination.

5. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Isn't THAT what the sell those little bottles of whiskey for?

6. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    I took a sleeping pill once on a flight from Atlanta to Paris, when I told this to a friend of mine who was a surgeon he told me about the time he did the same thing and woke up with a deep veined thrombosis in his leg, nearly killed him, never done it since, your choice!

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

They got smoke detectors in the bathrooms :mad:

8. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Just to be clear I've flown a lot but don't fly regularly. I'm not nervous about flying, more nervous about driving while very tired in an unfamiliar car on the wrong side of the road! And a stick. Last time I did that--last summer--I kept confusing the door handle and the shifter. My wife's nervousness about the whole thing kept her awake and me too. There's nothing like someone shouting in panic in the passenger seat to keep you alert.

It's sort of kind of surreal--you come over a hill and there's a car coming at you on the wrong side of the road. Making a turn out of a parking lot is freaky. Takes a while to get adjusted.

Jet lag I can deal with. Just suck it up and drink coffee. I'd just like to arrive a bit rested. I'm a very early riser anyway, so It'll be fine, more or less.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I start taking naps in the afternoon and get fewer hours at night. When you get there, flip the two. Europe is good for this as it’s nearly a half day off.

maxvintage likes this.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

When you get on the plane and buckle in, set your watch to the time zone you are going to.

Noise canceling headphones and shades and sleep for the times at your destination, don't try to do like everyone else is doing and watch a bunch of movies as if you are on the time zone where you left. You are on future landing time.

I'd avoid the pills and the alcohol will get you more dehydrated plus mess up the sleeping.

Stay off the caffeine all day or at least five hours before you need to get sleep.

Watch the movie 'Up in the air' and pay attention to the systems that Clooney's character puts in place for all his travel. Like what he tells the junior trainee about packing. Fast forward through the other parts if you want. Whoever was involved with writing the script of that movie had lived traveling.

11. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Benadryl, it has the same active ingredient as Z-quil at half the price.

Ear plugs and the ability to find a comfortable sleeping position while sitting upright are also useful.

bender66 likes this.

12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    don't ever eat salad in an airport

salad = death

I tunnel visioned and greyed out with food poisoning twice, never again

thought I was dying right there next to some Swede watching a dinosaur movie

anyway, the most I ever manage in coach is twilight

13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Once you land and pick up the hire car, lower the seats and get 30mins to an hour sleep in a layby or rest area just out of the airport.

Even that can do wonders. If I am driving into the early hours or jet lagged, a 30min sleep break does wonders to stop drowsiness.

maxvintage likes this.

14. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Late night, or overnight flight with most other passengers asleep. It makes a difference if most passengers are lights off, and trying to sleep.

Side effects or response to sleeping aids can vary. They are overrated, and especially if you become edgy like a grouch while stuck in coach.

15. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I'm 6'6" i can fall asleep in 5 minutes on a plane, even a Southwest flight. Wish i could help you but, but I never let discomfort get in the way of sleep.

16. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Window seat on the bulkhead row. Room to stretch you legs out and put a pillow between your head and the window.

Slept 12 of the 14 hours back from New Zealand like that.

17. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    CBD oil.
    Paste.
    There's a variety of ways to ingest.

Are you upset with my suggestion or that they have smoke detectors? :)

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

It's them smoke detectors. I'm tired of being detected, selected and rejected.

bender66 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.