Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sleeping on a plane—does anything work?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by maxvintage, Aug 9, 2018.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    We have to go unexpectedly to Europe in a couple weeks, economy class. I don’t fly all that often. I’m six four. I’ve never been able to sleep on a plane. It’s short trip and I’ll need to work and to minimize jet lag.

Any suggestions?

Our doctor does not want to prescribe Ambien. We have a source though, a friend who travels all the time. Seems like would be really important to get the dosage right

Melatonin. I’ve tried it. It seems to work some.

Sleep pillows. Nerdy. Do they work?

Amber glasses. Our doctor actually recommended amber glasses and melatonin. It seems ridiculous to me.

Sleep pillow, amber glasses—I’m going to look like an idiot. But I can live with that if I’m a well enough rested idiot.

Travelers, any suggestions?

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Business class. It’s the only thing that really works.

irie, Chud, elihu and 6 others like this.

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I lived on planes for two years. The only thing that ever worked was when I was upgraded to first class a couple of times.

PingGuo and Whiskerz like this.

4. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Ambien will knock you out if you haven't used it much, so that's a possibility. Noise cancelling headphones are amazing for flights, and sometimes I'll use sound fx tracks like rain or sea shore sounds to help relax. Heck, I do that at home with great results!

Who cares what you look like on the plane, you'll never see any of them again!

MrGibbly likes this.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    My go-to would unfortunately violate forum rules to talk about. I’ll just say it comes in gummies and cookies, and works like a charm, and I hope it’s legal soon.

GuitarGeorge, Obsessed, demon and 9 others like this.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I"ve always been overtired, so sleeping has not been a huge problem for me... my suggestion.. get the Denny's turkey dinner before you fly and have some good (like bose) noisecanceling headphones, put them on as soon as you sit, turn them on... take a couple of aspirin after you eat, try to get a window, do not put your chair back and use your pillow to lean forward (I'm 6'3") and when you shift put your head on the pillow on the wall of the plane.. if nobody is in the b seat, put your legs there...

force yourself to keep your eyes closed and if you have had any mindfulness training, do it... and do it... and then daydream, refuse to think about work, think about fun stuff (winning the lotto etc) and what you would do...

had to go on long flights and this stuff all worked for me... and LOTS of water. NO caffeine until 40 mins before your meeting... I don't know if my rituals worked via placebo effect or they work, but it worked FOR ME.

stratofortress, MrGibbly and Whiskerz like this.

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana

8. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    Do not take Ambien. You might decide to get up and open a door and not even know it. Ambien is evil. Yes, I have watched someone do strange stuff while on it and not remember.

9. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    +1 on 1st/business class -- used to do 11-12 hr long hauls, and got bumped a few times. I actually slept!! Its addictive once you've done it!!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 9:27 AM

10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Never could sleep on a commercial plane. Overseas flights were horrible, even in business class with one exception. I flew Singapore Airlines in first class once and I had one of those sleeping compartments. That was the answer.

When I flew on noisy C-130 cargo planes I could sleep like a baby on anything. I'd crawl on top of various cargo loads and fall right to sleep. They use to joke and say I was part of the checklist, "Wheels up and locked, loadmaster eyelids closed".

Blue333 likes this.

11. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Oh, and Gravol will mellow you a little but I simply can't sleep sitting up...

12. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Get yourself the seat next to the emergency exit. That'll get you a few extra inches of leg room.

Piggy Stu likes this.

13. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I used to fly a lot. Ambien works but it’s half life is kinda long IIRC. Lunesta leaves your system faster.

I’d have dinner and a drink, pop the pill and wear eye shades and good ear plugs. Worked well enough and I’m a light sleeper.

bender66 likes this.

14. jazzereh

jazzereh TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Ottawa, Canada
    Short answer - nope. But I would never take any kind of drug to get to sleep. Been meaning to try the noise cancelling head phones which seem like a great idea. If you are in economy, pay for a seat upgrade to get better legroom. The airlines squeeze legroom really badly these days.

When I fly to Europe, or generally in that direction, time-wise, the flights are typically overnight so I plan on staying up all day on arrival and hitting the sack as early as possible that night. Never had an issue with jet lag.

Oh, and get a seat in front of the engines if you can. That will at least minimize engine noise.

bender66 likes this.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Will Farrell movies?
    Ambien is dangerous.

16. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I'm on a plane
    I can't complain

Anode100 likes this.

17. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny
    Economy class to Europe and sleep, doesn't seem compatible. Been on a plane recently? . Careful with the Ambien, it can do strange things to you.safer bet is to stay up all night then take 12-16 mg of melatonin when you get to the gate. Get on the plane,put on something to cover your eyes, slap on the headphones and gets to counting sheep. Good luck, safe travels.

18. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    Party all night the day before and show up hammered drunk. You'll fall asleep just fine.

Badger06 and jaybones like this.

19. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Zquil. Niquil without the meds. Works surprisingly well. Or just take a few melatonin tabs. Both are totally safe. Me? I can go right asleep anywhere on a plane.

20. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

For a transatlantic flight there's no way I could sit in economy. I'm only 5'9" but have terrible knees (from years of wrestling, 3rd grade until junior year in high school, years spent working on my flat feet- cooking, serving then bartending).

For me, I take a travel pillow, noise canceling headphones (BOSE, they work like a charm- turn them on next to a running washing machine and suddenly can't hear it) and either a long good book or movies for my laptop.

Before I got sober I'd have a few cocktails, before and during my flight. And stay well hydrated with H2O.

I agree! I've seen those sleeping seats that are mega expensive, and that would be the best that I'd probably be spoiled for regular seats after that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.