Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Skunk Stripe crack - Highway One - Satin Nitro Finish!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by lovejoywarner, Jul 2, 2017.

1. lovejoywarner

lovejoywarner NEW MEMBER!

Jul 2, 2017
    Amersham, UK
    Hi everyone, I need some advice!
    My 2003 Highway One has a crack about 2 inches long on the skunk stripe edge. (See Pics)

20170702_152152.jpg
    20170702_152145.jpg

Hard to see in pics, but it is just too noticeable to leave alone. What I love about this guitar is the Satin Nitro Finish. So I cannot live with this crack.

I have read loads of posts about using superglue, also some advice on nitro lacquer. I decided to drop fill the crack with Satin Nitro. Once dry, I sanded it back to flat, and it felt great, only it was WAY too matt. I had real trouble sanding it up to 2000 grit - I just couldnt get a shine back.

I did read that a top coat of Satin Nitro will dry nicely and wont need sanding. But I did this, again, it was WAY too matt compared to the rest of the neck. I used a paint restorer to buff it, but it has pretty much rubbed back down to its original condition.

I really dont want to ruin this neck! But i cannot live with the crack.

Has anyone had a similar issue on a SATIN Nitro neck? DO I need compounds?
    How do I fix it without re spraying the whole thing?! Thanks guys.

2. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Are the pics before or after your fix?

3. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    I always wick in water-thin superglue then a quick wipe with a paper towel.

Then sand or scrape the glued area flush.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.