Size zero debate - How thin is too thin?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Hutchwearing6, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Hutchwearing6

Hutchwearing6 TDPRI Member

2. I will rout the front of the neck to accept a 5mm or 6mm square steel rod, in lieu of doing a proper truss rod. The plan is to fit a separate fretboard over it as a future step.

2. Hutchwearing6

3. I will then rout away on the back of the neck section leaving full thickness at the headstock and the body, but thinning the neck to about 3/4", I was thinking.

3. Hutchwearing6

4. I will have to rout the back of the body for the control cavity and then the front for the pickup.

4. Hutchwearing6

5. Measure, radius and slot the fretboard, offboard. This will be unconventionally thick as it is providing extra depth of the neck and clearance above the front of the body to get the right action.

5. Hutchwearing6

6. Fix the fretboard to the neck and flush trim it to the neck shape.

6. Hutchwearing6

7. Holes for tuning pegs, then bandsaw and drum sand the peg head to thickness.

7. Hutchwearing6

8. I was going to do a lazy radius rout on the back of the neck.

8. Hutchwearing6

9. Is round over the body edges.

9. Hutchwearing6

10. Make up scratch plate, control cavity cover and electronics

10. Hutchwearing6

11. Sand, oil

11. Hutchwearing6

12. Remember that nut and frets are mission-critical. Press them in with a caul?

12. Hutchwearing6

13. Fit scratch plate, electronics. Curse not remembering to drill for jack socket.

13. Hutchwearing6

14. Hardware, being tuners, bridge, jack socket, strings.

14. Hutchwearing6

So about 2030 completion date?

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Your best bet is to search TDPRI for Guitarbuilder's threads. One in particular is the 2015 challenge build Tele with minimal tools.

Your #2 step for the square truss rod ... I'd suggest using rectangular that is deep and narrow. Perhaps as narrow as your table saw kerf. The stiffness of a beam is a 1x factor of the base width and a cubed factor of the height 1x^3 so you get the most benefit from tall and narrow.

Many of the 60s-70s Japanese guitars have much thinner bodies so you could use the lumber you have, or pancake glue double thick and then flatten to the 1.75inch of standard MIA Teles. Gibson in the 70s did pancake Les Pauls.

I'd suggest sticking with the Tele bolt on neck style rather than the others tossed about.

16. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

My Epiphone Olympics are 1.375" thick. With a body thinner that that, you might run into issues with pickup or control cavity route depth.

17. Hutchwearing6

Good call on the neck reinforcement jvin - I guess I was thinking similar cross section to a single action truss rod but on reflection I suppose it's not the truss rod stiffness that's useful so much as the tension. I may have to see whether I can find someone to spot weld a double thickness- for want of a table saw or a skinnier router bit.

18. Hutchwearing6

I am also taking note to do some practice routing for the pickup and controls before I cut anything else. Good work!

19. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

I have built and I'm building another shortscale with a 21.443" scale length. I do this by lopping off three frets of a 25.5" scale length. Simply put the third fret becomes the nut. The one I've built worked pretty well. I did go up to .012s for strings to regain string tension. They were also the d'addario special gauges designed for alternate tuning. I bought them on accident but they are supposedly designed to keep higher string tension, so it worked out fine.

There is more string vibration on a short short scale so a mild pickup may become snarly. The gfs dream 180 I put in that one went from stout in a 25.5" scale to just angry in the 21.443" dooder.

20. Hutchwearing6

So, the build was commenced, almost more than 2 years ago. It is still in work. Or possibly is about to be restarted.

I have struggled a little with blowouts on the routing- the wood I have has a papery kind of quality to it and has sheared a couple places where I was trying to rout curves. Not just where the router's going perpendicular to the grain, but that was the worst, as pictured.

So currently taking stock.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.