Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Six saddle brass ashtray bridge

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by PMac13, Apr 27, 2017.

1. PMac13

PMac13 TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Toronto
    Does anyone know what years Fender used these? Brass ashtray with four screw mount, six adjustable barrel saddles (not shown), thru body type.

upload_2017-4-27_19-47-35.png

2. CWP0126

CWP0126 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    According to the Duchossior book the 6 saddle bridge with only "Fender" stamped on them were used in the 1970's.

He doesn't list the specific years, but does say, "...in the mid-70s a bridge with 6 individual steel saddles was first fitted to the Custom type II and then offered as an accessory to retrofit other Telecasters."

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Someone who knows more than me should be along and offer more assistance.

PMac13 likes this.

3. PMac13

PMac13 TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Toronto
    Here's a better pht. It's also shown in my avatar picture.
    ---Thanks for this, it's appreciated. I've seen lots of chrome ones on line, no brass ones !

4. CWP0126

CWP0126 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Hey PMac,

I looked at the book again and it doesn't mention brass or chrome from what I could find, so I may be wrong. I wonder if they were brass and then chrome plated?

BTW, the book is really helpful and is interesting, with a lot of pictures. Unfortunately most of the pics are black and white, but it's still a good reference. I think I got mine from eBay for around $15 brand new. If you look for it I spelled his name wrong in my prior post, it is A. R. Duchossoir.

5. PMac13

PMac13 TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Toronto
    Hello CWP0126 Hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the follow up, I'll look for the book!

6. Horsin Hank

Horsin Hank Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2016
    Green River Wy
    Back in about 2003 I bought a new 52' RI. The guitar came with a 3 barrel saddle bridge installed. It also came with an extra 6 barrel saddle bridge.
    A few years later, I put that bridge on a 2008' Highway 1. Its still there.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    My vintage chrome six saddle plates with just "FENDER" on them are steel, not chrome on brass.
    I can't say I've ever seen that bridge in brass.
    Brass age Fender parts tended to be heavy castings, in keeping with the eras idea that more mass equaled better tone and sustain.
    So I'm stumped on that one you have there.
    Maybe a knockoff?

Just took a look in the parts bin and mine have the logo closer to the pickup than yours, plus mine has the rough crimped corners where yours has smoother formed corners.
    I'd lean toward knockoff.

8. PMac13

PMac13 TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Toronto
    I had wondered about it being a knockoff, but what would be the point? Genuine parts aren't that expensive.. Still, something to ponder. Thanks!

9. PMac13

PMac13 TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Toronto
    Was the extra a brass ashtray? Mine came with a Tele copy I bought in the mid 80s.

10. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got a Fender one in a box somewhere.... I was never quite sure which era it was from, either.

it has fender in a script rather than block stamped letters...

brass 6 saddle tele Bridge.jpg

11. PMac13

PMac13 TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Toronto
    trev333 I found that photo on the internet yesterday, it gave me hope.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.