Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Six 2-PU esquires from 1950 in museum.

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by lycheelassi, May 11, 2017.

1. lycheelassi

lycheelassi TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Berlin

wanna go, please!!!

esquire/tele content starts at 2:40

orangeblossom likes this.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Is playing The Blues really THIS lucrative?

orangeblossom likes this.

3. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    No, but putting on a show is and I think that's where people sometimes get caught out.

4. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2004
    London,UK
    At first I thought all the guitars belonged to the museum, but they're just lent from many collectors which is quite refreshing rather than them never been seen again. Would prefer to see them not behind glass though.

5. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2006
    Arizona
    That's an impressive collection to say the least. Each of those Esquires would sell for $100k easily to the right collector as long as the have provenance that they left the factory as one of the original two pickup models.

Probably a couple hundred million worth of guitars in their display.

6. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2006
    Arizona
    I love that Bonamassa video too. If I were worth $20million there's no doubt I'd have a nerdville of my very own as well. I'm lucky enough to own some cool stuff of my own, but its even cooler that people like him or Vince Gill do take the time to share their impressive collections with us not as wealthy kindred spirits.

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    6 of 8 documented double Esquires? Isn't Springsteen's one also?
    That leaves one out there somewhere.

8. Charcoal Burst

Charcoal Burst Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2004
    Oslo,Norway
    No, Springsteen's The One is a mix of a blackguard era tele body with a later 50's Esquire neck

9. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2006
    Arizona
    The double pickup esquires in question are from a small batch of guitars from very early in 1950 that pre-dated even the Broadcasters. The gentleman describing them in the video is incorrect; they were not single pickup guitars fitted with a neck pickup to please a customer. These guitars left the factory with two pickups, and carried the Esquire name as Leo hadn't yet come up with the Broadcaster name.

There was even a generation of Esquires that pre-dates those shown in the video. Those guitars were made of a thinner pine body, had a black finish, white pickguard, and no truss rod.

The esquire name was briefly dropped in the summer of 1950, and then was re-introduced strictly as a single pickup guitar later in the fall of 1950. Single pickup Esquires have always been routed for a neck pickup however, and many of them were fitted with a second pickup later in life, much like the Springsteen guitar.

Masterbuilt, lycheelassi and Danman like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.