single input jack wiring

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Mongo Park, Dec 8, 2018.

1. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

Yep of course, I went off the rails there suggesting any metal washer was a possibility.

So the flat non-conductive washers are a hardware store item, or they are something AES has also, or?

Sorry if this is dense but I've used 2x shoulder washers in the past on a standard (short) bushing Switchcraft jack to isolate for a footswitch circuit, thru .09 aluminum and 1/16". The nut tightens, just barely though. Obviously long bushing would be better but this was a type 14 jack that doesn't have any options.

If there's a better way I have to know! This doesn't seem to be documented anywhere. Or not obvious to me anyhow.

2. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Yes, you can usually find black or white plastic washers at the hardware store. The old style were always tan or brown fiber or phenolic. Every Switch craft jack I've bought always comes with a shoulder, a flat, a flat metal, and a nut.

sds1 likes this.
  3. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

Whaaat.

Can you provide a link to where you source your Switchcraft jacks?

I usually get mine here:
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/jack-switchcraft-14-mono-2-conductor-open-circuit

Description says nut + washer included, but I usually actually get 2 flat metal washers and a nut.

Looking at Hoffman's site I don't see where his come with any non-conductive washers either.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I updated the links in my initial post to purchase shoulder and flat fiber washers, and a L12-A long bushing Switchcraft jack.

I have no affiliation, except it's where I got the parts when I isolated the chassis on my Revibe build last year.

I don't recall why, but I wound up purchasing the jack from Mouser. Possibly product availability at the time. Here's that link:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/502-L-12A?r=502-L-12A

sds1 likes this.
  5. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

Rob I have always used tow isolation washers, I will have to try one, my supply will go twice as far.
    Cheers Ron.

sds1 likes this.
  6. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Nope. Gotta retract. I've had tons of little bags with the jack and washers, but apparently those were all repackaged. The retail jacks I see do not come with isolators. So, here's a link.

https://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/plugs_paneljacks3.php

7. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

OK thanks! I was like, wow no wonder I'm clueless, I'm not getting my isolation washers included!

@moosie posted the AES links for both shoulder and flat washers above, better pricing (plus I shop there anyhow). Appreciate you sharing.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.