Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Single ended vs push pull amp speaker choice difference?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by daveyboy, Aug 19, 2017.

1. daveyboy

daveyboy Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Victoria BC Canada
    I built a 5F1 and upgraded the OT and run a 12" reissue Jensen p12q.
    I love this speaker with other amps but not with the little 5F1. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    I'm not really sure what it is about single ended amps that makes them sound so different.
    I've got half a mind to put a cheap efficient eminence in there.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    They are very basic, and especially if you're comparing one to a push-pull amp there are significant differences in how the electronics function.

That being said - in Champ-type amps I prefer original type, cheap 8" speakers. My favorites are the ceramic and alnico Weber Signature Series.

Those are close to the original-type, low-budget speaker. To my ears they best reproduce the sound of the classic Champs.

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    +1

I had a alnico Sig flatcone in my EC Vibro (that's what the Fender Special Design is) and a ribbed Sig alnico in my 78 Vibrochamp and both are great matches and louder than you'd think.

Silverface likes this.

4. BubbaTheHutt

BubbaTheHutt TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2017
    US
    The Eminence hempcone 8" and Warehouse WGS8C are also good speakers in a Champ

daveyboy likes this.

5. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2011
    north east texas
    ..."I'm not really sure what it is about single ended amps that makes them sound so different."...

push pull amps tend to cancel out even order harmonics in the switch from one tube's output to another. single ended amps reproduce higher levels of second order harmonics.

my $0.02, i you enjoy second order harmonics, get a speaker that will distort less at peak output.

mitchfit

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I've had two single-ended amps and found that their tone is so unique, for better or for worse, that the contribution of the circuit overwhelms any differences that swapping speakers might provide.

daveyboy likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.