Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Single Coil in 2010 Gibson Melody Maker

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Crawldaddy, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Hello all!

I've recently acquired a 2010 Gibson Melody Maker, non-P90 model.

It looks like this:

[​IMG]

I've opened up the guitar to suss it out, and after stringing it up, I felt the pickup was way too bright, and I had to dial back the tone knob quite far down before I was ready to use it. I must admit, I'm not a fan of ANY bridge pickup wide open, so that's my tastes penned down.

So what I did was replace the stock 500K tone pot with a 250K CTS replacement, used a 0.047uF WIMA cap, and even added a 200K shunt resistor between the hot wire and ground to bleed off some highs as well.

As of right now, the tone is very usable wide open, while retaining that spank, twang and almost telecaster-like gutsiness; but I wonder if I should shop around for a replacement pickup, maybe something with a bit more low-mid oomph. From comparing a strat pickup that happened to be lying around, the pickup pole-piece spacing matches that of a strat single coil; furthermore, the screw holes line up as well.

Does anyone out there happen to have the same guitar, and maybe could shed some light on any pickup mods you did to your instrument?

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    These sound great with a P90;- and there's Strat s/col shape/size P90's.

You don't need super high DCr, around 7.5kohm is good.

Crawldaddy likes this.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I thought they were all non p90 like the original with those small alnicos.
    They are what they are until you mess with them.
    I love the playability of the old melody makers, what pu you put
    in them will take them to another arena, which may be a good thing.

Crawldaddy likes this.

4. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    Crawldaddy likes this.

5. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Thanks for the feedback, I’m still spending some time with the guitar just to get more used to the sounds from the stock pickup, which IMO does have loads of tele-esque bite and growl.

Personally, I am unsure if I want a P90 sound, but I’ll look into the Lollars. I’ve had good experience with a set of full-sized Lollar P90s, so if that sound could be had in a smaller package that would be super cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.